shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally some yellow in my future - the Jeff White saga!!!!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Finally some yellow in my future - the Jeff White saga!!

DK Wishing you lots of luck on your job hunt! Also, its so exciting that you may be attending the pearl ruckus! I'd love to see your pearl collection! Do you have a thread somewhere?

Acinom - I'm sure your zircon will turn out amazingly! I am yet to see a Jeff White stone that I don't like! Btw are you still getting a blue zircon from Gene?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1427782481|3854939 said:
DK, wishing you lots of PS dust in your job hunt!! :)

Acinom, I like that idea.. There's a show me your ring under $5k in the SMTB forum, it would be nice to have a similar thread in CS to inspire those of us who love colour but are on tight budgets! :) I am soo glad I can live vicariously through you on PS, otherwise I'd be in trouble for sure!! As it is I am only considering setting my current loose stones, and perhaps looking into acquiring a few cabs this year (gem silica, black opal) unless I find my dream Paraiba!

Caf, that sapphire is gorgeous!! Jeff cuts a mean Asscher. Is the color in the photo accurate? It's showing up as an interesting, almost lemon with a bit of green on my computer, almost like a chryso! :)

Hi Mochiko: Thanks for your support. I made the thread!
I notice that your ban is not final yet as I detect some great plans regarding setting your curent stones as well as acquiring gem silica,opal and perhaps even a Paraiba! :lol:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom said:

Acinom, I like that idea.. There's a show me your ring under $5k in the SMTB forum, it would be nice to have a similar thread in CS to inspire those of us who love colour but are on tight budgets! :) I am soo glad I can live vicariously through you on PS, otherwise I'd be in trouble for sure!! As it is I am only considering setting my current loose stones, and perhaps looking into acquiring a few cabs this year (gem silica, black opal) unless I find my dream Paraiba!

Caf, that sapphire is gorgeous!! Jeff cuts a mean Asscher. Is the color in the photo accurate? It's showing up as an interesting, almost lemon with a bit of green on my computer, almost like a chryso! :)

I notice that your ban is not final yet as I detect some great plans regarding setting your curent stones as well as acquiring gem silica,opal and perhaps even a Paraiba! [emoji38]
my English is a bit rusty these days, maybe that's why I don't understand the language that well...especially because I now have this on the way to me from Chris Auletta, we'll see if I can cross gem silica off my list.. I guess I don't know the meaning of the word "ban"!! Oh I'm so in trouble now!! [emoji23] [emoji16] total fail on CS ban and fail on my dieting plan this year... Goes off to eat some chocolate and wait for your yellow zircon pics....

uploadfromtaptalk1427817106671.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1427793652|3854960 said:
DK Wishing you lots of luck on your job hunt! Also, its so exciting that you may be attending the pearl ruckus! I'd love to see your pearl collection! Do you have a thread somewhere?

Acinom - I'm sure your zircon will turn out amazingly! I am yet to see a Jeff White stone that I don't like! Btw are you still getting a blue zircon from Gene?

Ricezo: I am so looking forward to see the end result! I have not seen an ugly JW stone either.
Gene agreed to cut a blue topaz for me but I have the feeling it is not going to happen. I have not heard anything for a while and I am not going to ask for it again. He told me he does not like cutting Topaz as it clutters up his instruments.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seems like an amazing stone Mochiko!
I hope it looks as beautiful in real life.
Ban means no investments whatsoever in acquiring or setting Colored stones :lol: You indeed failed big time :lol: Speaking about the subject: I do not seem to know the true meaning either as there is always a 'next project' on my list. Mmmm :twisted:

How will you set the gem silica?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the Danburite
I heard back from Jeff about the Danburite:

I don't have much yellow danburite at the moment. The most vivid yellow material came in an early find some years ago. Seems like the material coming out in the last year or two isn't quite as saturated (although still pretty). I had a chance to buy one of the largest neon yellow pieces in existence at Tucson this year (see the photo I posted on Facebook), but I didn't act quickly enough and was outbid :( It was from the original strike and was a very intense yellow.

So... Zircon it is!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We are currently determining to have the stone cut with chunky or with brilliant facets. Jeff stated he would only not recommend a specific cut if the depth would be insufficient. I also asked about the appearance as I wonder whether the chunky facets will be as sparkly as the brilliant facets. Still so undecided in this... :confused:

I will wait for his reaction and then decide. Either choice will be beautiful I guess.

I also received a pic of the rough and it looks really ugly :twisted: . I find it so fascinating that it will end up being a beautiful faceted stone. It truly amazes me.

_28512.jpg

_28513.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jeff got back to me immediately, stating that
- either the chunky as well as the brilliant cut would be a good choice in zircon
- however: it is true that the brilliant cut will give more "sparkle" and scintillation
- the example I included of the blue stone is actually one of the few that Jeff would say isn't a good fit for this particular piece of rough, as that cut is very deep (and this particular piece of rough isn't deep enough to accommodate it without significant yield loss)
- the face-up size would be quite a bit less than the 9-10 mm estimate if I would choose the chunky facets, given that Jeff woul have to pull in the sides to accommodate the depth

So, the brilliant facets it is. Yay!!!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

A very good example why heat treatment is not bad!!

What about the danburite??

STUPID QUESTION - you posted it a bit higher :oops:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow|1427868386|3855410 said:
A very good example why heat treatment is not bad!!

What about the danburite??

Whahaha :lol: Indeed Marlow.

I will include my post on the Danburite as posted above:
Post by Acinom » 31 Mar 2015 23:20
the Danburite
I heard back from Jeff about the Danburite:

I don't have much yellow danburite at the moment. The most vivid yellow material came in an early find some years ago. Seems like the material coming out in the last year or two isn't quite as saturated (although still pretty). I had a chance to buy one of the largest neon yellow pieces in existence at Tucson this year (see the photo I posted on Facebook), but I didn't act quickly enough and was outbid :( It was from the original strike and was a very intense yellow.

So... Zircon it is!!!
Last edited by Acinom on 31 Mar 2015 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Acinom|1427818084|3855088 said:
ricezo|1427793652|3854960 said:

Ricezo: I am so looking forward to see the end result! I have not seen an ugly JW stone either.
Gene agreed to cut a blue topaz for me but I have the feeling it is not going to happen. I have not heard anything for a while and I am not going to ask for it again. He told me he does not like cutting Topaz as it clutters up his instruments.

Hmm fair enough! I may be getting an electric topaz cut for me this week - if it works out it will be a mothers day present for my mum. I don't want to say too much yet but its not from Gene ;-)

ETA: I just became a brilliant rock on your thread! :lol:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Acinom|1427866836|3855405 said:
Jeff got back to me immediately, stating that
- either the chunky as well as the brilliant cut would be a good choice in zircon
- however: it is true that the brilliant cut will give more "sparkle" and scintillation
- the example I included of the blue stone is actually one of the few that Jeff would say isn't a good fit for this particular piece of rough, as that cut is very deep (and this particular piece of rough isn't deep enough to accommodate it without significant yield loss)
- the face-up size would be quite a bit less than the 9-10 mm estimate if I would choose the chunky facets, given that Jeff woul have to pull in the sides to accommodate the depth

So, the brilliant facets it is. Yay!!!

It's going to be a total fireball!! :appl:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

mochiko42|1427817200|3855073 said:
Acinom said:

I notice that your ban is not final yet as I detect some great plans regarding setting your curent stones as well as acquiring gem silica,opal and perhaps even a Paraiba! [emoji38]
my English is a bit rusty these days, maybe that's why I don't understand the language that well...especially because I now have this on the way to me from Chris Auletta, we'll see if I can cross gem silica off my list.. I guess I don't know the meaning of the word "ban"!! Oh I'm so in trouble now!! [emoji23] [emoji16] total fail on CS ban and fail on my dieting plan this year... Goes off to eat some chocolate and wait for your yellow zircon pics....

Mochiko - that gem silica looks delicious!! Have you received it yet?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How exciting that you are having a blue topaz cut Ricezo! I cannot wait until you get it. What a beautiful and vibrant present for your mother :love:

Congrats on becoming an brilliant rock :appl: And thank you for your good vibes on the sunny zircon.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Remember this? :-o :-o :-o

_30584.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

... after cutting it looked like this!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

_30585.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Never judge a CS by its rough!

Thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And finally like this after heating: a 8.15 ct bright yellow zircon (9.94 mm) :love: :love: :love:
Jeff did such a great job! I love his cutting. Now I need to think about the best metal colour for this stone as well as a setting.
Any ideas? As tapered sides are very flattering on my not so elegant hands I was thinking about a setting with tapered MRB's or OEC's?

_30586.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a transformation, thanks for sharing! :love:

First thing that came to mind is half moons sides, don't know why, just did.

Looking forward to see the finished ring.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you DK! Quite a transformation indeed! I am thrilled with the result.

Seems like I am getting more indecisive the more I am nearing Big Ban :twisted:
Initially I was thinking about simple elegance like the Trueste solitaire or the Sparkliesluver. But I must say I love the idea of half moons as well.

_30587.jpg

_30588.jpg

_30589.jpg

_30590.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

It's gorgeous Acinom! Looks like it will be a fireball! :appl: Please share stats.

I think it would look amazing either set in a simple solitaire like the Trueste or alternatively with tapered diamond sides. Happy designing!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1432723594|3881704 said:
It's gorgeous Acinom! Looks like it will be a fireball! :appl: Please share stats.

I think it would look amazing either set in a simple solitaire like the Trueste or alternatively with tapered diamond sides. Happy designing!

Thank you Ricezo :wavey:
According to Jeff the stone sparkles like mad! Thank you for your design suggestions. Perhaps it's finally time for an elegant solitaire. Would you choose RG or platinum? Will RG look weird with platinum?

I do not have other stats besides:
- yellow zircon (heated)
- 8.15 ct
- 9.94 mm

I have asked Jeff for the depth.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Wow it's huge! Even bigger than your blue green beauty!

From the pictures I think it would look beautiful set in either metal. I don't have any experience mixing RG with platinum ( RG and WG look lovely together but I don't have any platinum pieces to compare). Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha obviously I'm partial to the half moon idea.
It would be my rings big brother.

As I said in my other thread I find it more aesthetically pleasing to have the basket of the center stone yellow regardless of the other colors you use for the shank

Im not a fan of having rose gold next to yellow

S

SparkliesLuver

Wow, Acinom, that's so pretty! :love: And I know it'll look beautiful with your skin tone. So exciting! :appl: Will Jeff send it directly to be set or will you see it in-hand first? I assume the former but I wanted to ask. I think I might personally choose platinum although you can never go wrong.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

Wow, wow, wow. Look at the color! look at the cutting. I am sure you are going to start a Jeff's yellow zircon club.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful stone :love: , it is lovely pre and post heating. How about platinum with tapered bullets?
I also like the yellow gold basket idea.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo said:
Wow it's huge! Even bigger than your blue green beauty!

From the pictures I think it would look beautiful set in either metal. I don't have any experience mixing RG with platinum ( RG and WG look lovely together but I don't have any platinum pieces to compare). Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

I am not into mixing metals usually and I am not into YG. So RG, WG or platinum it will be.
The zircon is a heavier carat weight compared to the tourmaline, but this one is about 10 mm square, while the tourmaline is about 13 x 10. Hopefully the stone is not overly deep.

Niel said:
Haha obviously I'm partial to the half moon idea.
It would be my rings big brother.

As I said in my other thread I find it more aesthetically pleasing to have the basket of the center stone yellow regardless of the other colors you use for the shank

Im not a fan of having rose gold next to yellow

Thanks for chiming in Niel! I love how your 3 stone ring is progressing. :love:
I agree that a yellow cup will bring up the yellow nicely. I will stick with one metal though.

SparkliesLuver said:
Wow, Acinom, that's so pretty! :love: And I know it'll look beautiful with your skin tone. So exciting! :appl: Will Jeff send it directly to be set or will you see it in-hand first? I assume the former but I wanted to ask. I think I might personally choose platinum although you can never go wrong.

The stone will indeed be sent to David and I will see it once set. I have all the confidence in Jeff's cutting though from what I have seen.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

wow, what a transformation! The stone is lovely. While I certainly do love half moons flanking a cushion, something like the trueste solitaire would be beautiful for that, especially at that size. I also tend to think zircons are good stand-alone stones - they're pretty eye-catching on their own!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results