shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally Seriously Starting to Look for E-Ring! $3K Budget

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I had posted a couple of threads asking for help narrowing down how to even start figuring out what really want from a diamond setting. Thanks to those who previously answered as it did help narrow down my preferences to some degree.

A little background about me and my soon to be fiance. We are both in our late 50's. He's a full time student at the moment and will be for a few more years. I'm currently the breadwinner - good thing we both don't have preconceived ideas about gender roles :lol: I'm happy to support him further his education and he's doing great, made honor role which I'm really proud of. We're both very down to earth, low key kind of people. Not flashy, not into impressing others. Both of us like things that are vintage, and well loved. We've both been married before and have different priorities in life this time around.

We also share similar values in regards to money and with that in mind, and we both agree it isn't for us to over do the e-ring. Being older, we have a home, bills, eventual retirement to save for and now tuition to deal with.

He recently inherited some money and with that was able to but aside $3,000 for the ring. More is coming but he has no idea when that might resolve so the $3K sounds reasonable for now. Hopefully by the time of the wedding he'll be able to afford to get me a very nice band. I said I could contribute another $500 or so, if it turns out there's a setting I like that pushes his budget but he has stated that he'd prefer if I didn't. I mentioned selling off my previous e-ring but it means a lot to him that the ring totally is from him - as egalitarian as we are sometimes one has old fashioned sentiments.

He's given me the task to search everything out because he's overwhelmed with school both in time and in the work he puts into it. This is fine by me, since I already knew more than a little about diamonds and I find it interesting to do research in general.

So, with that background in mind here are my parameters:

Shape: This is my most flexible requirement although I'm leaning towards cushion or round.

Size: Somewhere between .75 and 1.0 carat. Would prefer it on the larger side (who wouldn't?) but am ok if it's not quite there.

Color: D-H. Might go to I. I have an appreciation for higher coloration but I am color sensitive (photography is a hobby and have worked in design for my whole life) and have noticed that past H I do start seeing a difference in hue.

Clarity: Willing to go to S1 if eye clean. Would prefer not if possible.

Budget: For the stone, under $3K in order to leave me enough room for a decent setting. Most settings I've liked seem to be in the $600-900 range so if you tack on the money I'm willing to contribute that would leave around $2500 +/- for the stone.

Settings: Vintage is my style for sure. I like ultra modern too but I think I might tire of it over time. I like solitaires as long as they aren't set to high; I'm very hard on things. Really like unusual prongs. Nothing overly fancy though. Not a lot of extra diamonds. Do not care for halo although there is one floral halo which I really like a lot. Not crazy about bevel either. Prefer rings on the delicate side than heavy, do not want big finger coverage for the setting (small hands, albeit somewhat pudgy ;)) )

Thanks for all help given! :appl:

Laurie

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Finally Seriously Starting to Look for E-Ring! $3K Budge

Are you looking for new or are you open to pre-loved?

Are you totally set on a traditional looking e-ring?

This ring would give you a lot of BLING for your buck

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/rings-bands-anniversary-eternity-and-wedding/2-00ctw-double-row-diamond-band#.Vr5WCMfU7zI

LOTS of finger coverage and a VERY married look.

If you are looking for something more traditional

What about this?

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/1-09ctw-round-brilliant-cut-diamond-3-stone-ring-by-ritani#.Vr5XXsfU7zI

Just some thoughts to start you on your journey

:bigsmile:

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much for those links. Yes, I am open to preloved!

I prefer the 2nd, it is more a traditional e-ring. I'm a bit concerned about the clarity on it; the close up photos don't please me but the ones taken from further away truly are breathtaking. The specs are good, and it does say eye clean so that's a plus. It is sort of a halo which isn't a preference, although the setting doesn't scream halo at all. Price is excellent! I've been following JBG on Instagram and checking the site periodically.

Do you know where they are located? I can't seem to find it on the website. If in NYC, I'd be inclined to call and make an appointment to see the Ritani in person.

The first one, is amazing, but too chunky. I think it would overwhelm my finger completely. I wouldn't mind having that as a RHR tho :wink2:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

what do you think of this

ringbln.png

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

Niel|1455317090|3990308 said:

That looks very familiar. Is it a Blue Nile setting? I believe I saw it posted on another thread here and had pinned it to my Pinterest.
I do like, a lot. Definitely my style.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sivyaleah|1455317393|3990310 said:
Niel|1455317090|3990308 said:

That looks very familiar. Is it a Blue Nile setting? I believe I saw it posted on another thread here and had pinned it to my Pinterest.
I do like, a lot. Definitely my style.

Yes it's blue Nile and its under $500, and they let you get 100 off of you do a referral discount, leaving you about 2600 for a stone if you did that

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

Yes, this is an option. It's got the vintage look, delicate profile and leaves room in the budget. Plus, the setting will accept several shapes so that's good too. I'd look elsewhere for the stone though - I'm not crazy about not being able to see actual photos with BN.

EDIT: We'd be able to go up to $3000 for the stone in that case :twirl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sivyaleah|1455318228|3990320 said:
Yes, this is an option. It's got the vintage look, delicate profile and leaves room in the budget. Plus, the setting will accept several shapes so that's good too. I'd look elsewhere for the stone though - I'm not crazy about not being able to see actual photos with BN.
You'd be safe with a round, or their branded cushions, and if its not a branded you can often ask them if its eye clean, and I've had people get pictures before.

Their branded cushions have photos

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

lovemybling|1455317620|3990314 said:
did you take a look at the addition pictures and videos?

http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Signed-Pieces/Signed-Pieces-Rings-and-Bands/109ctw-Ritani-3-stone-Diamond/

I think that Grace is on the west coast but I would trust her if she says it is eye clean.

I agree I think it is a lovely non-halo looking halo. Plus the three stone gives you great finger coverage and the price is well below budget.

:bigsmile:

I sure DID look!
Showed my BF too. He loves that ring. It's a contender.

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

Niel|1455318514|3990322 said:
You'd be safe with a round, or their branded cushions, and if its not a branded you can often ask them if its eye clean, and I've had people get pictures before.

Thanks so much Niel. I didn't realize that the branded cushions have actual pix. I'll take a look.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sivyaleah|1455318674|3990326 said:
Niel|1455318514|3990322 said:

Thanks so much Niel. I didn't realize that the branded cushions have actual pix. I'll take a look.

They have one h that looks eye clean and is .74

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

I like both of these from Blue Nile also. More money but still might come in on budget. I think the Floral Halo can only accept a round stone tho, which is a drawback potentially.

blue_nile_floral_halo.jpg

vintage_leaf.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This round would be my suggestion for the first setting

LD06557786

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sivyaleah|1455322488|3990356 said:
I like both of these from Blue Nile also. More money but still might come in on budget. I think the Floral Halo can only accept a round stone tho, which is a drawback potentially.

blue_nile_floral_halo.jpg

vintage_leaf.jpg

I like that halo, I'm not sure about the second one though. I do think it's a bit busy

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

The floral halo was actually the first setting I saw that really felt like "me". I garden, and my BF gave me a necklace a few years back; it's kind of a long stem rose with small diamonds in it. I'd never seen anything like it before. The halo would make a nice compliment to that piece.

I'm leaning towards the Jewels by Grace posted but I'm going to look again at Blue Nile to see if I can find something in the size and price range. Just might be easier for him to get it all in one place being his time is precious. I don't mind doing leg work but sure as heck am not going to put it on my credit card =)

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

Bumping this up, as I have a question regarding the Ritani 3 stone Jewels By Grace ring we're looking at.

I noticed that the setting of the ring is made of palladium. How does this metal wear as time goes by? Everything I'm reading says it's on the soft side. I love the ring, and we're seriously thinking of purchasing this but I am kind of hard on things and worry about it getting dinged up. Or, more dinged up since it's pre-loved.

Also, would love to have some more thoughts on the ring itself. I showed it to my 2 sisters and both said it had "too many circles". At first, I didn't know what they meant - I thought they were talking about the center stone. Then it was clarified they meant the setting. I guess they weren't keen on having the side stones be the same shape as the center. I said I was more concerned about the quality of the stones since I personally like the overall appearance of the setting. Both agreed the stones looked extremely nice in the photos provided on the site but would love to hear if anyone else gets this impression.

Opinions? Thanks!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

sivyaleah|1455637197|3991607 said:
Also, would love to have some more thoughts on the ring itself. I showed it to my 2 sisters and both said it had "too many circles". At first, I didn't know what they meant - I thought they were talking about the center stone. Then it was clarified they meant the setting. I guess they weren't keen on having the side stones be the same shape as the center. I said I was more concerned about the quality of the stones since I personally like the overall appearance of the setting. Both agreed the stones looked extremely nice in the photos provided on the site but would love to hear if anyone else gets this impression.

Hey there sivyaleah!

I'm not sure if you're still considering the JBG ring, but for what it's worth, not too many circles for my taste! I think it's lovely! Tell those sisters hush, LOL.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I admit I'm totally biased because I have that exact Ritani setting, but I think it's beautiful and it's not too many circles for me at all!

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

elizabethess|1456345250|3995045 said:
sivyaleah|1455637197|3991607 said:

Hey there sivyaleah!

I'm not sure if you're still considering the JBG ring, but for what it's worth, not too many circles for my taste! I think it's lovely! Tell those sisters hush, LOL.

LOL, yes =)

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

kmarla|1456347005|3995068 said:
I admit I'm totally biased because I have that exact Ritani setting, but I think it's beautiful and it's not too many circles for me at all!

Oh that is SO great to hear! Do you have photos?

BTW, still waiting on it. :boohoo:
He told Grace that he hoped he'd be able to pay for it by mid-week. Meaning kind of today. He's been waiting on a reimbursement check so that he can pay it all off at once - he's got just about enough tucked away but needed another $500 or so to close the deal. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't get scooped up. She said she'd put a soft hold on it but the website still says for sale, so I'm somewhat concerned.

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock

Update!
Ordering today :appl:
Will share pix once we have it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results