shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally have my very own cushion!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

Well it''s been almost 2 years since my first post here and I cannot thank everyone here enough for all of the help you''ve given me over the past year or so. I''m very ecxited to report that my fiance (he, he I like saying that) Chris, proposed to me a little over a week ago
6.gif
)

Although I''ve done all the posting and most of the legwork (I sit in front of a computer all day and Chris doesn''t), we searched for the diamond and the setting together. As much as I LOVE surpises, I liked being involved in the diamond/ring selection even more!! I loved getting to look at the diamonds and having us decide which setting we liked (luckily we have similar tastes). We both love the finished prodcut!

We worked with Jonathan and the rest of his wonderful assocuiates from GOG (I''ll talk more about that on the other forum). As you can tell from my screenname, I have always wanted a cushion-cut diamond - ever since I saw a close-up of Ashley Judd''s engagement ring in the February 2001 of Glamour magazine. That was the first I''d ever heard of a cushion-cut diamond and internet searches for ''cushion-cut'' led me to priscope (thank goodness!) It was the shape of the cushion that I loved and I used David Atlas''s simulation tool (the oval with a 45% bulge factor) to figure out the length to width ratio that I was looking for and we finally found a diamond that we thing is perfect, even if it isn''t ''ideal or H&A''s'', it''s definintely what we wanted.

So here are the specs...

.91 ct cushion cut diamond
Clarity: VS2
Color: G
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Measuerments: 6.72 x 5.60 x 3.45 mm
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 63%
Girdle: Medium to Thick, faceted
Cutlet: small
length to width ratio: 1.2

I''m attaching two pictures that GOG took for me. They look nice, but in person I think the ring looks a lot better, so sparkly and white and rainbowey all at the same time! So far I think it looks best in low, indirect light (like the light you have in a big train station). I''m having a lot of fun looking at it in all kinda of light, in fact I can''t stop looking at it
9.gif
I''ll try to post some pictures of the ring on my hand as soon as I get some good ones - even the macro setting just doesn''t seem to do it justice, I''ll have to play with it some more.

Well thanks again for all your help!

My ring-center.jpg

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the multiple posts. I forgot to mention that we had GOG custom-make the ring for us, which we think looks great and was much more inexpensive than some of the designer rings we were looking at
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow absolutely beautiful! I LOVE that setting!!! Can you get a closeup of it and give us details? What size are the side stones, is it platinum, how are they set (flush into band?)...side view?

Lovely, and I adore cushions as well. Great choice! Kudos to GOG.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is gorgeous! I love the setting too and the center stone is really pretty.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, details, please!!

Your custom setting is incredible.

The stone is GORGEOUS.

Enjoy!!

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful ring! Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes!!
10.gif
10.gif

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Wow! What an elegant ring...Congrats!
love.gif

This may sound stupid...but where is GOG and how can I get in touch with them? Thanks....

-Sarah

P.S. How did he propose?

DawnMichie

Rough_Rock
Do you have a website address for David Atlas' cushion cut tool? I am looking for a cushion now and that might help!

Dawn

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much to everyone for the congratulations and best wishes and for all the compliments!
9.gif
I plan on typing up a longer explanation of our purchse experience on the other forum, but I haven't had time to write that up yet. Let me see if I can answer some of the questions everyone had...

Mara, I really haven't had a good time getting good close-ups, even with my macro setting on my fancy SLR camera - I may have to search the boards for some photo advice, but I definitely will try to get some more pictures up there soon.

The band and setting are platinum. It's a 2mm comfort fit band with 14 (.25 total ct weight) tiny round stones set flush into the band. I'm not sure if they are pave or prong set, but either way, it's definitely the look we wanted. And yes, Jonathan and Amy and everyone at GOG did do a fantastic job and they were so great to work with. We actually felt good separating with a large sum of money after working with them
loopy.gif

Sarah - GOG stands for Good Old Gold. They're located in Massapequa Park in NY (on Long Island), but you can check out their website, which has tons of good info at www.goodoldgold.com Also, Jonathan often posts on PS under the screenname Rhino.

As for the proposal, I knew that Chris would be getting the ring soon, but I didn't think that he had the ring yet. He came down to my corporate apartemnt in NYC for the weekend. Usually the doorman calls up to see if it's alright to send someone up, but Chris convinced him not to this time. So I get a knock on my door and when I opened the door he was down on one knee with the ring and a big bouquet of gerber daisies (my favorite flower as of lately) and asked me to be his wife. It was wonderful and I was surprised even though I was involved in the process early on. We're both really happy and excited
9.gif
9.gif

Dawn, the tool I was talking about can be found at the bottom of this page http://www.pricescope.com/fancy.asp

Thanks again for all the nice compliments, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Beth

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Wow that is beautiful! Both the stone and the setting are amazing! Congrats on your engagement!
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is Stunning, cushionsearcher! Certainly worth the wait...!
And that band really enhances the beauty of the centerstone - fabulous choice!
Wear it proud! Best wishes to you
9.gif
Alex

Beansy

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it's stunning. I just can't believe how beautiful the ring is. It looks like, even though they probably arn't, there are little oval melee in the setting. It seems like they would feel very smooth...nice. No exposed prongs to catch on anything.

I bet that after 2 yrs of hunting, it feels like your baby by now
1.gif
. I am in a very similar situation (did most of the research too) and you feel like you are so vested in it. You start to have dreams about it, look at your empty hand and wish it was there....so jealous, but very excited for you as well.

Congratulations!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice..Nice..Ring...I love the style of your band.. Congratulations and glad you had a good experience with GoodOldGold.
21.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
cushionsearcher,

did you get that setting from Good Old Gold also?????

I love it... Can you tell me more about it??

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Try to read this out loud with emphasis:

“Um, Um, Umm-Umm-Umm!”
lickout.gif

…Because that’s how lovely I think your ring is!

Congratulations~!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Great ring. I love cushion cuts, and lately I've really been into that type of setting with all the small diamonds on the sides.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is just beautiful, classy and elegant, as others have noted. Cushion cuts have so much personality and sparkle like a round. Look at those arrows!
love.gif
What a wonderful choice!
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
What a fairytale ring! Seriously, it's what I'd picture on Cinderella's hand. Just lovely!
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What can I say--other than I just love it!!!
love.gif

cheers

Sharon

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
I just love your ring. It inspired me to look at cushions closely. I like the square look but don't like princess cuts, not enough brillance, not that I need that much. So, I started looking at radiants, and was pretty much decided until I saw a brillant cushion. Just gorgeous, and works perfectly with a pave antique setting I love.

Congrats.

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
I''m so sorry I haven''t checked out this thread in such a long time - sorry for not replying to the questions...

ForTheLoveofDiamonds - yes, I did get my setting from Good Old Gold. I basically just told them what I wanted and they made it for me. They were really wonderful about it too. They basically said, we''ll make the custom setting for you and if you''re not happy with it we can make you something else. Of course I loved it so that wasn''t necessary :o)

Thank you to everyone else who left comments :o) It''s been a year now since my fiance proposed to me and I''m still enthralled with my ring. I truly love everything about it and I''m so happy we went with a cushion!

gee5088

Rough_Rock
T H U D ! ! !
6.gif

Oops, let me pick up my jaw off the floor....
41.gif

That is one GORGEOUS ring!
30.gif
18.gif
36.gif

LOVE the thin band (I''m somewhat partial to them!) -shows off your stone superbly and the work on the tiny melee is outstanding! What exactly did you tell GOG you wanted? Whatever it was, they truly delivered!

schmoopy

Rough_Rock
Fabulous ring! I love the pave!! It makes the ring so feminine! Do post pictures of it on your hand when you can!!

Congrats on the engagement too!! Yay!!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty!!

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Cushionsearcher: Welcome back!! I have admired your ring since I first came to PS! It''s beautiful. We would love to see some hand pics!!!
emwink.gif

Carolina Girl

Rough_Rock
Very nice ring..very elegant looking!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh it''s just gorgeous!! Congrats!!
36.gif
30.gif

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is just beautiful!
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results