shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally Got My Sparkle! But Not Crazy About The Color. Should We Upgrade?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SparklePartner!

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I''ve been a big Pricescope message board reader leading up to my engagement this past weekend. (HOORAY, and FINALLY!!!)

Now that the ring is here, I''m not sure if I''m too crazy about the color. The ring looks kind of like the Tiffany NOVO except not a cushion cut center, but round brilliant.

Specs:

Size 3.5
Center Stone: 2.25 carats
Center Stone Grade: SI1
Center Stone Color: L
Side Stones: 12 @ .1 carat each
Side Stone Color: H and I

Here''s the deal- at the jewelry store, the center stone looks amazing! It''s got a strong blue fluorescence and faces up white. Now that I have it, outside and at home, the stone looks great next to it''s whiter H & I sidestones, but when I look at it from the side, the faint yellow is definitely noticeable.

I''m really happy with the sidestone color, even though they''re H''s and I''s. The store says we can exchange the center stone and upgrade to a better color if we don''t like it after a couple days of thinking.

DO you think it''s worth upgrading from an L to an I or J? How much do you think it would be? Will we have to go smaller? What''s the size difference from a 2 carat and a 2.25 carat?

Thanks for all your help everyone!!!
41.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
If it bugs you now, it will bug you more over time. I say go exchange it. 2+ c is a big rock! I had a K 3 carat and then 2.5 carat K, and eventually have traded to have a 1.5 D. I''ve owned every color inbetween over the years. A good cut can help color, but color is still color and a subjective thing.

I think you could get a nice J and not loose too much size, provided you got an eyeclean lower clarity one like a good si2. I''s and J''s are nearly colorless white (nude is what I call it), then K starts having that distinct (and yet beautiful) soft winter white...

It''s what you like that counts.

I agree with getting out in the real world with it. Sometimes you just have to try it out, before you know if it''s the one.

Hence, folks need to purchase from a place with a good return and upgrade policy.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
First off, where are pics??
31.gif

An H or I will cost considerably more than an L. If you are working within the budget for an L SI1, you will pay more to keep the same carat weight.

A 2 carat is around 8mm, and a 2.25 is around 8.35mm depending on the depth of the stone, so if you go down in weight, you will lose size in mm.

Also, can you upgrade later? Or do you have to exchange within a certain time frame?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my opinion there is substantial difference in noticeable color between an L and a J, so I might try exchanging for a J stone (gia or ags graded) and see how you can tolerate that. You may have to go a bit smaller though since J stones are a great deal more expensive than L stones.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Most likely it''ll keep bothering you. If you really don''t like it, go for the I or J:)

honey22

Ideal_Rock
For an ering, I would definately up the colour, probably at least to an I colour for that particular cut. If it bothers you know, it likely to continue to bother you, so I would swap it now while you still can.

I would much rather a whiter brighter 2ct stone, rather than a larger stone that I wasn''t truly happy with.

What about pics though?
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same. I''d also pick a smaller stone and go up in color, especially for an eng. ring.

Before purchasing, did you take the ring out into natural light? Jewerly store lighting can be deceptive!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for upgrade in colour. If it bothers you now, it`s possible that it`ll get only worse from here and then you may run out of your exchange period. I would go for an I.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I'd dial down the size, dial up the clarity, dial up the color, and dial down the florescence.

But you see, that's why these are *personal* decisions!

But to the question of color and the specifics of your situation, no, I would not change the color, if I was otherwise satisfied with the ring. This can only be a *guess*. Only you can know what's going to make you happy. I actually don't think I'd mind a low color (sometimes I even like them). It's just that if I was going to choose one, I'd start with J (or maybe K). I also don't care very much about size. I know that's unusual.

SparklePartner!

Rough_Rock
Wow, all these great responses. Thanks everybody!
I took a bunch of photos on my digital camera, but for some reason I can''t upload them because they''re too big. (I''m not too tech-savvy!)

I think everyone is right: I''m the kind of person where if something bothers me a little bit, it''ll drive me nuts until it gets resolved. As for the upgrade, we were thinking of adding an extra $1000 and seeing what that will get us. Even if it means going from a 2.25 carat stone to a 2.00 I think it''ll still have a nice "WOW" factor on a size 3.5 finger!

We''ll be going back to the store early this week, so I''ll keep everyone posted!

36.gif

PS: What do you think? Will it be possible to go from a 2.25 to a 2, add about $1000 and get a J instead of an L?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like quite the rock!

If the side view bothers you, do you think you could bezel the stone?
30.gif
Or is it a mind-color thing?

If it bothers you now, it will probably continue to bother you over time. I don't think a 2 carat would be noticeably smaller than a 2.25. 2 and 2.5 yes. 2 and 2.25 not so much, maybe a little. And if it's a whiter brighter stone, it'll also look BIGGER.
31.gif

ETA:
Oh yay! You decided! Great! I think it might be a bit more... did you say which lab graded the stones? That makes a difference, too. But yes, 2 carats is going to look huge on your teeny finger!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Let us know what you decide, I would love to see a picture. Ps administration can help with pictures
35.gif
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results