shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally brought the stone 1.02ct G VS2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bricheun

Rough_Rock
After much searching and looking, I have finally bought the stone with all the money I saved in 18 months.
I know it is not the most expensive or best stone, but it is all I have.
I hope she appreciates it and hope this stone is not a bad one.

US$5000, now for the setting..I like the cathedral type with the X claws and a heart in the the middle.

Round Brilliant

Measurements: 6.60 - 6.70 x 3.95 mm

Carat Weight: 1.02

Color Grade: G

Clarity Grade: VS2

Cut Grade: Very Good

Proportions:

Depth: 59.4 %

Table: 58 %

Crown Angle: 29.5¢X

Crown Height: 12 %

Pavilion Angle: 41.8¢X

Pavilion Depth: 44.5 %

Star length: 55 %

Lower Half: 85 %

Girdle: Very Thin to Medium, Faceted

Culet: None

Finish:

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Good

Fluorescence: None

Comments: Clouds are not shown.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Bricheun,

Sounds like a great stone!!!!!! Of course, a picture would definitely help if you want the Pricescope opinion.

Where are you going to get your setting?

Congratulations
MWG

bricheun

Rough_Rock
Hi..I have updated with a pciture...
I will take more later because she is watching TV infront on me and I do not want her to know yet..
It''s a secret... :)

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 12:24:04 PM
Author: bricheun
I will take more later because she is watching TV infront on me and I do not want her to know yet..

We will not tell.....we want to hear about all the details and the excitement, remember it is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME MOMENT!!! Enjoy it and Capture it on Film or video for the future.

That is a great picture, cant wait to see it face up!!! She is going to be THRILLED!!!!

Thanks for sharing
MWG

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 12:24:04 PM

How exciting! It looks gorgeous! The setting sounds beautiful. How and when will you propose?

a

bricheun

Rough_Rock
Hiya all again...it's very exciting.

I am going to plan a surprise trip after work for 2 to Thailand holiday weekend. Pick her up after work as usual on a FRiday evening and drive off to the airport. There I will bring out the plane tickets and will tell her that we are going on a short relaxing trip.
Then we are going to a hotel and chill out, she will be thinking it is a just a weekend break or something.
Late breakfast the next day on the resort balcony, ready with flowers ..then propose.

More pictures are coming as soon she is away...setting will be made on Thursday. The jewellers was very helpful and willing to hel me out. I live in Hong Kong, and this guy aranged the stone from Singapore.
The proportions is good and looks bigger than a 1.02CT..most I have seen were undersized for this price.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! I love these great surprise proposals. Well done on planning such a memorable proposal. I love the setting too, very classic and elegant. Does she have any idea that you have the stone and ring? Did you discuss things or is it a complete surprise?

a

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
That stone looks wonderful, as does the setting. I''m all for a plain, simple setting when the stone looks that lovely! Dont worry about the size or value. You''ve saved a long time for this and it is given with love. That''s all that matters. After all, it''s not about a ring!

BTW, I pass through BKK all the time for work...where in Thailand will you be proposing? Just curious...There are so many wonderful locations through Thailand for such a special moment.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I love cathedral settings. They always makes the stone stand out. (which for $5000, you really want it to stand out!) Your "fiance" is lucky to have you. Your stone will look fantastic setting up high. Mine is set up high, Tiffany style and is a G color. G''s are nice and white and up high seems to give it more light! Good luck on your proposal! Make sure you send photos of your girl with her new ring on! Congrats!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The crown angle on this stone is less than 30 degrees, and the girdle is very thin to medium. If you had posted this before buying, I would have recommended against buyint this stone, because it represents a durability risk. If you keep it, I would only have the person who sold you the stone set it, and assume all responsibility in case of damage. Also, it is also a very good idea to put it in a protective setting and buy insurance.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2007 12:45:17 PM
The proportions is good and looks bigger than a 1.02CT..most I have seen were undersized for this price.

A 1 carat diamond should ideally be 6.5mm diameter.

bricheun

Rough_Rock
The location is Banyan Tree Phuket, it looks lovely and kind of romantic there. Not a very long stay just 2 days and 1 night. JulieN's comment has got me worried so I called the guy up who sold me the diamond to get some reassurance. He said I do not have to worry about it chipping etc and he will make sure it is done right.(?).
7.gif

Also another comment about crown angle less than 30 degrees, it is 29.5 degrees now, how is it going to effect the diamond? Could some one shed more light on this? Have a made a bad choice and lost 18 months of saving?
14.gif

I checked it on the HCA here and gave a 1.8 Excellent and for "Young persons", which I do not how to classify that because I am 34, is that young? My dad is 62 and he says he is young too.
19.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three things are important here:

1. INSURE that baby ASAP just to be on the safe side with the girdle.
2. Don''t worry about the other numbers. If you saw it and LOVE it (and those are some very nice pics) that is what is most important.
3. Go have a great time on your weekend and best of luck with the proposal!

bricheun

Rough_Rock
neatfreak:
1. INSURE that baby ASAP just to be on the safe side with the girdle.
2. Don't worry about the other numbers. If you saw it and LOVE it (and those are some very nice pics) that is what is most important.
3. Go have a great time on your weekend and best of luck with the proposal!

about the insurance, what kind of insurance can I take to protect against damage? Will normal household insurance cover this diamond or is there a special kind if insurance just for diamonds?

Thanks for the comments, the pictures taken with a Panasonic LX2 (birthday gift from her)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
No, normal household insurance will not cover this. Usually a normal homeowners policy only covers about $1000-1500. in jewelry. You need a specific policy for the ring. I'm just looking into this - it's too bad you couldn't join our online seminar this past weekend on this matter. I'm going to try to explain it as I understand it and hope I'm right!

There are two main types of insurance you can get:

1. Replacement
2. Stated/Agreed Value

Type#1 - Replacement - is usually provided by agencies like State Farm, etc. They insure your ring for the appraised amount BUT!, if you lose it, damage it or whatever, THEY decide how to replace it. They have jewelers whom they designate in your area, that will try to replace the stone based on the appraisal. Since they're using jewelers who are giving them very low pricing on stones, you may end up with them telling you that they can replace your stone for much less than the amount you've insured it for. Then, it's up to you to decide if that replacement stone is acceptable to you, and if not you get a check for the lower amount that that replacement would have cost them. Rarely will you get a check for the insured amount unless it is totally impossible to replace your stone/ring. Are you still with me so far?

Type #2 - Stated/Agreed Value - is usually provided by insurers like Chubb. Let's say your ring is appraised in total value - including setting - at X amount. If you have to make a claim, they will cut you a check for that amount. Plus, they have a "150%" coverage for their clients meaning, if it costs more to replace your ring (let's say prices have risen alot), you will get up to 150% of the insured amount.

There is one more type which is a compromise of Type #1 - Jewelers Mutual. JM also is a replacement type of policy, but you do not have to use their jewelers. You can go through any jeweler you want to in order to replace your ring.

Does that all make sense? Any experts out there please let me know if I explained that correctly..thanks!

To sum up, you need an appraisal ASAP, then insurance.

You can read more at:

www.jewelersmutual.com
www.touchstoneinsurance.com

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
in pics, looks like a nice stone. it /is/ very flat, as espected. Might be the flattest I''ve seen in pictures.

bricheun

Rough_Rock
Thanks SURFGIRL for the great info about insurance! I will look into this ASAP and most probably take the number 2 option.
Insuring for full value is much better because as in car insurance they never pay the full amount!

JulieN, it is flatter I think because of the angles right at 29.5 degree and a big spread. Is that a good or bad thing?
It looks great..need to get it set and look at in lighter conditions..but as a VS2 you cannot see imperfections in the stone. The gemologist said he would give it a VS1/VS2 border line. The needle inclusion was right on the edge of the stone.

I was very worried when I bought it thinking it might be a "bad performing" stone, but then again I was on budget with a certain standard. The guy said if I could not decide that evening he would send the stone back to singapore. If I decided to have it again, he would get it sent over. Thats a lot of waiting around etc. Therefore i made a quick decision based on the HCA graph.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2007 2:42:37 AM
Thanks SURFGIRL for the great info about insurance! I will look into this ASAP and most probably take the number 2 option.
Insuring for full value is much better because as in car insurance they never pay the full amount!

JulieN, it is flatter I think because of the angles right at 29.5 degree and a big spread. Is that a good or bad thing?
It looks great..need to get it set and look at in lighter conditions..but as a VS2 you cannot see imperfections in the stone. The gemologist said he would give it a VS1/VS2 border line. The needle inclusion was right on the edge of the stone.

I was very worried when I bought it thinking it might be a ''bad performing'' stone, but then again I was on budget with a certain standard. The guy said if I could not decide that evening he would send the stone back to singapore. If I decided to have it again, he would get it sent over. Thats a lot of waiting around etc. Therefore i made a quick decision based on the HCA graph.
yay, you got it.

it''s good because it gives you a lot of spread. it''s bad because there''s less diamond on top, so there is a higher risk of chipping.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2007 4:59:37 PM
Author: JulieN
The crown angle on this stone is less than 30 degrees, and the girdle is very thin to medium. If you had posted this before buying, I would have recommended against buyint this stone, because it represents a durability risk. If you keep it, I would only have the person who soassume all responsibility in case of damage. Also, it is also a very good idea to put it in a protective setting and buy insurance.ld you the stone set it, and
Ditto JN, do the above if you can and get some insurance on it to cover against damage just in case. But enjoy your diamond.

bricheun

Rough_Rock
Lorelei..I am finding it quite difficult to find an insurance agent to insure it.
I found one which protects against theft and loss but not damage, similar to the type of insurance you get for laptops which you take on business trips...tomorrow I will ask at the jewellers maybe they know more.

Household insurance covers against theft and fire if it is locked in a safe..damn I should of looked at the small print!

Some of you do make it out as though it is soooo fragile..eeek! Diamond is supposed to be the hardest thing, a scale of 0-10 it is supposed to be 10, 9 is ruby and sapphires...difference between 9-10 is like 100 times difference...is this true?
Well, thats what the jewellers said hence he said I do not have to worry about it....anyway, the setting is ready tomorrow and he will set it for me. Of course, i will check it when i get it back.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To put this in perspective, there is a chance with all diamonds chipping whether being set or worn, so try not to worry too much, just be aware that it could happen, the setter should take precautions with the diamond. Diamond is the hardest substance which means it is very difficult to scratch it, but unfortunately it is also brittle, which means occasionally they can and do break or chip. We have a PSer at the moment with a chipped diamond.
7.gif
There are companies who will insure a loose diamond, just keep enquiring or try a search as there might be some info in the archives.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Can I just vent for a moment? This guy''s already bought the stone, he saved a long time to get it, and he likes it alot (and it''s a beautiful looking stone in the photos!) so rather than scare him about his stone chipping and being flat, I think there''s a better way to let him know about care of thin girlded stones doesn''t rain all over his parade. There, I feel better now.

brichuen, I''m sorry people are scaring you about the fragility of your stone. You''ve already purchased it and I think you should just relax and enjoy it as it looks really beautiful. I have a very thin girdle on my stone too. My appraiser, my personal jeweler and many others said "look, can it chip? Sure. But you can chip a medium -thick girdle just as easily. If you''re hard on your jewelry, you''re more likely to chip something." I mean, your lady shouldn''t be gardening with it on, carry bricks, etc. And I''m guessing she wouldn''t anyway. If you go to the pool this weekend, lock it in the room safe. She probably should lock it up if she goes to get a massage this weekend (massage at the Banyan Tree is wonderful!) because she could misplace it or it could slip off with all the oil, etc. I mean, just use common sense and you should be fine. And if something happens and you''ve got insurance, you should be fine.

As for getting insurance..I dont know if you can get it while overseas, however, try the second website I listed and email them (Ralph) and ask if you can apply for this via email. He offers both Chubb and Jewelers Mutual. Let me know what happens.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SG, we weren't trying to scare the OP about his diamond chipping, just trying to advise him with the best of our knowledge how to protect his investment as the diamond wasn't already set. It is a case of trying to advise him the best we can to help with the info he has given, a very thin girdle combined with a shallow crown angle might pose a durability risk, but he really needs an expert to physically examine the diamond to see if there is indeed a risk to the diamond whilst setting. An experienced setter should be able to handle the setting of this diamond or would refuse it in a rare case, but this is not common from my understanding.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
brichuen, I just spoke to Ralph at touchstone insurance and I asked him about your situation....I think if you''re a US resident you can use him, just email him directly from his website and he can sort it out for you.

bricheun

Rough_Rock
Thanks veyr much SG for the reassurance, I am sure the advice that people give here are for the best. Thats why I am here. Though yes, I was scared the minute I got the replies here.

Very thin girdle was a problem which i raised to the diamond seller, he again reassured me that he would set it good and the chipping should be minimal to none if "treated" properly. Luckily my g/f is not a builder or very active person. Just a receptionist doing very light work.

I will warn her when I give her the ring to treat it gently...don;t slap me or hit me with the ring on!..hahaha..

Tomorrow I will get it set since her called again to tell me to bring it work and he will pick up and set it the same day,,,fingers crossed!!!.

You people have been great!..WOnderful community here..love it.

www.kwiksure.com does the insurance for jewellery...I will also give them a call tomorrow.

bricheun

Rough_Rock

The scenary where it took place...

P1010002 (Large).JPG

bricheun

Rough_Rock
First came the stone...

P1000962.jpg

bricheun

Rough_Rock
Another picture of the stone...

P1000959.jpg

bricheun

Rough_Rock
Then came the setting...

bricheun

Rough_Rock
Side view of the setting

P1010012 (Large).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results