shape
carat
color
clarity

FINALLY - a VACATION!!! New Orleans

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We haven't had a vacation since September of 2014! After that vacation, it was a whirl wind of house buying, renovations, moving, apartment selling, and changing jobs. When a friend texted DH and asked if he'd like to see Primus and TOOL in New Orleans, I said, HELL YEAH!!!! The concert is an extra little special something for a long awaited trip to a bucket list destination. We are arriving early afternoon January 30, Saturday, and leaving the following Tuesday.

Sooo... other than beignets and cafe du monde coffee, PLEASE recommend must tries, must visits! I am particularly fond of visiting a cafe du monde because the chickory coffee is what's served at vietnamese restaurants whenever I order a Vietnamese iced coffee :lickout: .

We are staying at a hotel in the convention center area. How do people get around to go sight seeing? Is there a lot within walking distance?

:wavey: Looking forward to your recommendations!!!

LeahTeats

Rough_Rock
Muriels in Jackson Square was amazing! and if you're looking for something a little off the beaten path there is a mom and pop shop called Ma Mommas House a little outside of downtown that had the BEST fried chicken and waffles i have ever had! Just got back from NO last May and those were my two favs... a friend of my swears by Commander Palace but i didn't experience it personally. i wouldn't recommend Oceana, not because the food was bad, but because the lighting was sooo dim you couldn't see your food (let alone see the person sitting across from you) and the service was HORRID. We didn't get the drinks we ordered and we sat there for almost 45 minutes after we asked for our check.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stayed at the Hyatt in the CBD in September and found it incredibly easy to get to bourbon street via the streetcar. It was also a short walk (~15m) and as long as it's not sweltering that's nice too. They have uber & taxis, very easy to call one if you don't feel like walking/waiting for the streetcar.

Commanders Palace is wonderful, and if you want to save a bit of money, go for lunch. Similar menu for MUCH cheaper! eta - they also have 25c martinis at lunch. Yes, that is correct. Max 3 pp, but it's awesome :lickout:

Frenchman street is awesome at night. Its a street lined with jazz clubs on both sides. Drink specials before 7 usually, but the main events don't happen until a bit later. Some have cover charge and cheaper drinks, some have no cover but more expensive drinks. I chose to go to the no cover places so I could explore a few at a smaller price.

If you have a car, some of the plantations are really fascinating, and not far. They cost ~$20 each to enter but you can buy tix online before you go to save some money.

I personally didn't go, but heard wonderful things about the cemeteries/tours.

Acme Oyster house was another of my favourite meals. The chargrilled oysters - YUM. They are the garlic toast equivalent of oysters. Long line, but worth it.

We also tried a few places that were 'staples' and highly recommended but didn't love. Parkway bakery (po boys) was just ok. Daisy Dukes, blech.

A nice cheapie breakfast was Hobnobbers. It's in the back of a bar, kind of a sketchy looking place, but cheap food, served simply and tasted good.

eta - there is also another beignet place if you want to compare - café beignet. There are a few around. I wanted to try both because some people are torn on a favourite. FWIW, I did prefer duMonde.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a foodie and one of my favorites there is GW Fins down in the quarter. I'm always there for work our silo and plants are in the Port. So much to see and do have fun!

You need Bright Ice to weigh in.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Muriel's is a tried and true - good food.

I'd also highly recommend Deanie's - great seafood.

And if you're into hole-in-the-wall spots, you can find the most amazing fried chicken in Treme.....grab a cab and go to Willie Mae's Scotch House. It's been featured on nearly every travel network there is with good cause. We went for lunch, and the line that wrapped around the building contained folks from literally several states. Red beans and rice and chicken were fantastic.

We also tried and loved Desi Vega's steakhouse on Lafayette Square on St. Charles Street.

Enjoy!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LeahTeats|1452640415|3975012 said:
Muriels in Jackson Square was amazing! and if you're looking for something a little off the beaten path there is a mom and pop shop called Ma Mommas House a little outside of downtown that had the BEST fried chicken and waffles i have ever had! Just got back from NO last May and those were my two favs... a friend of my swears by Commander Palace but i didn't experience it personally. i wouldn't recommend Oceana, not because the food was bad, but because the lighting was sooo dim you couldn't see your food (let alone see the person sitting across from you) and the service was HORRID. We didn't get the drinks we ordered and we sat there for almost 45 minutes after we asked for our check.

Thanks LeahTeats! Great input! I am going to start a spreadsheet lololol.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1452644331|3975041 said:
How exciting! Sounds like it will be a lot of fun! :wavey:

Blueberry dot recommended a jewelry store in NO not long ago. I saved it so I could check it out on our next trip there. Here is the link: http://www.rauantiques.com/jewelry/

Lots of people recommend Mother's for Po' Boy sandwiches. http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/history_facts.html

Cafe adult Monde is always a must! Yum! :appl:

Thank you! It would be awesome if i ended up finding a treasured piece of jewelry in NO!! (Just say NO to jewelry :lol: )

I looked over the menu for mothers last night and almost drooled on my tablet. :lickout:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1452650737|3975128 said:
I stayed at the Hyatt in the CBD in September and found it incredibly easy to get to bourbon street via the streetcar. It was also a short walk (~15m) and as long as it's not sweltering that's nice too. They have uber & taxis, very easy to call one if you don't feel like walking/waiting for the streetcar.

Commanders Palace is wonderful, and if you want to save a bit of money, go for lunch. Similar menu for MUCH cheaper! eta - they also have 25c martinis at lunch. Yes, that is correct. Max 3 pp, but it's awesome :lickout:

Frenchman street is awesome at night. Its a street lined with jazz clubs on both sides. Drink specials before 7 usually, but the main events don't happen until a bit later. Some have cover charge and cheaper drinks, some have no cover but more expensive drinks. I chose to go to the no cover places so I could explore a few at a smaller price.

If you have a car, some of the plantations are really fascinating, and not far. They cost ~$20 each to enter but you can buy tix online before you go to save some money.

I personally didn't go, but heard wonderful things about the cemeteries/tours.

Acme Oyster house was another of my favourite meals. The chargrilled oysters - YUM. They are the garlic toast equivalent of oysters. Long line, but worth it.

We also tried a few places that were 'staples' and highly recommended but didn't love. Parkway bakery (po boys) was just ok. Daisy Dukes, blech.

A nice cheapie breakfast was Hobnobbers. It's in the back of a bar, kind of a sketchy looking place, but cheap food, served simply and tasted good.

eta - there is also another beignet place if you want to compare - café beignet. There are a few around. I wanted to try both because some people are torn on a favourite. FWIW, I did prefer duMonde.

I don't think I want to go on a cemetery tour :errrr: , but the boys might!

We are exactly 3 people, so that works out if we make it to Commanders Palace. The lunch tip is priceless! We have done that in the past, but sometimes I forget about lunch being a reasonably priced option to try a pricier restaurant. 25 cent martinis? I'll buy a round for everyone! :lol:

I'm happy to hear that transportation is readily available. We hear a lot about Uber nowadays, and I took it for granted it was in MY hometown, but a quick search indicated otherwise, so good to know that Uber is an option for sure!

And as for the other places you recommended, they are going in my spreadsheet! YAY!!!! :appl: :appl: thank you!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1452651646|3975139 said:
I'm a foodie and one of my favorites there is GW Fins down in the quarter. I'm always there for work our silo and plants are in the Port. So much to see and do have fun!

You need Bright Ice to weigh in.

Ooo... Ms Mayk the foodie - thank you for the GW Fins recommendation. Keep them coming! And let me know if there are any places I should avoid, too :errrr:

Bright Ice - yoo hoo, where are you? :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1452669022|3975282 said:
Muriel's is a tried and true - good food.

I'd also highly recommend Deanie's - great seafood.

And if you're into hole-in-the-wall spots, you can find the most amazing fried chicken in Treme.....grab a cab and go to Willie Mae's Scotch House. It's been featured on nearly every travel network there is with good cause. We went for lunch, and the line that wrapped around the building contained folks from literally several states. Red beans and rice and chicken were fantastic.

We also tried and loved Desi Vega's steakhouse on Lafayette Square on St. Charles Street.

Enjoy!

Thank you aljdewey!! I love seafood, I :love: fried chicken, and I :love: red beans and rice!!! Maybe we should meet up in a random city and do a food tour together! :wavey:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Rau's has drool-worthy jewelry and other antiques, comparable to the finest auction houses, at very high prices. Definitely worth a look. New Orleans is a jewelry-happy city. Lots of Victorian garnet suites on Royale Street, for example.
For a dress-up, traditional meal at a fairly reasonable price, try Galatoire's on Bourbon Street. They had a very nice prix fixe the last time I went there, and I saw some of the best-dressed drunks I could ever imagine. At the other end, locals sent me to Napoleon House on Chartres Street, a bar/restaurant unchanged for century or more, for a delicious and cheap muffuletta, big enough for two meals. And if Acme's is too crowded, try Royal House for excellent oysters. Snug Harbor on Frenchman Street has great traditional jazz, as does Palm Court on Decatur Street in the Quarter. Preservation Hall is great but not so comfortable.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1452698351|3975385 said:
I don't think I want to go on a cemetery tour :errrr: , but the boys might!

We are exactly 3 people, so that works out if we make it to Commanders Palace. The lunch tip is priceless! We have done that in the past, but sometimes I forget about lunch being a reasonably priced option to try a pricier restaurant. 25 cent martinis? I'll buy a round for everyone! :lol:

I'm happy to hear that transportation is readily available. We hear a lot about Uber nowadays, and I took it for granted it was in MY hometown, but a quick search indicated otherwise, so good to know that Uber is an option for sure!

And as for the other places you recommended, they are going in my spreadsheet! YAY!!!! :appl: :appl: thank you!
For the martinis - I meant its 3 martinis per person. They won't over serve you. You can go with as many people as you like though :D
Make sure to make resos ASAP if you want to go. You can do it right on their website.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Bennachin on Royal Street - I love this restaurant. Delicious, reasonably priced food with friendly staff. I'd describe it as African food with an American & Caribbean twist.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1452702558|3975434 said:
Rau's has drool-worthy jewelry and other antiques, comparable to the finest auction houses, at very high prices. Definitely worth a look. New Orleans is a jewelry-happy city. Lots of Victorian garnet suites on Royale Street, for example.
For a dress-up, traditional meal at a fairly reasonable price, try Galatoire's on Bourbon Street. They had a very nice prix fixe the last time I went there, and I saw some of the best-dressed drunks I could ever imagine. At the other end, locals sent me to Napoleon House on Chartres Street, a bar/restaurant unchanged for century or more, for a delicious and cheap muffuletta, big enough for two meals. And if Acme's is too crowded, try Royal House for excellent oysters. Snug Harbor on Frenchman Street has great traditional jazz, as does Palm Court on Decatur Street in the Quarter. Preservation Hall is great but not so comfortable.
Wow thank you for the tips! We may skip the more formal dining places, though bc I think we will stick with jeans and tops and pack minimally. But I will record them in my spreadsheet because I'd like to go to NOLA more than once in my life!

Should I get some Dr. martens to relive my youth for the Tool and Primus concert? They sell them at Nordstroms now AND they come with zippers down the side nowadays :lol: :lol: :lol: feels like cheating people out of the experience of loosening all ten holes of laces then tightening them all up again, but then again at my current age and stage in life I welcome a quicky shortcut like a zipper hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky56|1452894154|3976515 said:
Bennachin on Royal Street - I love this restaurant. Delicious, reasonably priced food with friendly staff. I'd describe it as African food with an American & Caribbean twist.
Wow that sounds killer! :lickout:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
^ And Bennachin is casual - Jeans and T-shirt fine there.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1452698744|3975389 said:
Thank you aljdewey!! I love seafood, I :love: fried chicken, and I :love: red beans and rice!!! Maybe we should meet up in a random city and do a food tour together! :wavey:

HA - NAME the date and place, and we'll do it. I was totally in love with all the awesome food in NOLA - not kidding! And yeah, luuuuuuuuuurve an excuse to go out for awesome eats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results