shape
carat
color
clarity

Final two choices: Your opinions/thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tayd

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Just like the countless number of users here before me who have made this journey and the countless number of others who will do the same after me, I have now taken the first steps: the research and shopping for a diamond engagement ring! :)

For the past two weeks, I've been reading and reading and reading (and still reading!) the forums here and over at Diamondtalk, as well as several other internet retailers' websites, to educate myself. My initial experiences during the first weekend of shopping and looking at few B&M stores here in the Washington, DC metro area only further reaffirmed some of the messages that I've come across.

Anyhow, after much research including personally visiting a reputable online Internet retailer, two "candidates" are:

Weight: 0.814 ct.
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Cert.: GIA
Cert. Date: 7/22/02
GIA Cut Grades:
- Polish: Excellent
- Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Total Depth: 61.0%
Table Size: 56.2%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Crown Height: 15.2%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 42.7%
Culet: 0.1%
Girdle Thickness: 1.6% (Med., Faceted per GIA)
Internal Symmetry: H&A
HCA rating: 0.9 - Excellent within TIC range

Weight: 0.847 ct.
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Cert.: AGS
Cert. Date: 9/25/02 (!)
AGS Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
- Polish: Ideal
- Symmetry: Ideal
- Proportions: Ideal
Fluorescence: Faint

Total Depth: 60.8%
Table Size: 55.0%
Crown Angle: 34.3
Crown Height: 15.6%
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion Depth: 42.5%
Culet: 0.2%
Girdle Thickness: 1.6%
Internal Symmetry: H&A
HCA rating: 0.7 - Excellent within TIC range

Regarding ring/setting, it will be a simple Tiffany platinum ring by Stuller, either in a 4- or 6-prong (she can't make up her mind :)). Assuming if the price difference between the two diamonds above are, say, less than $100, which would you pick? I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I'm leaning towards the .84 due to the following reasons, which may not be scientific or logical: the stone is "freshly" certed, the inscription is already present on the girdle, and the fact that the AGS cert, especially the presentation, just looks nicer than the GIA! ;-)

Thanks,
David

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
both stones look excellent on paper David. Hope they both are priced right :)

Diamonds with AGS ideal report are usually a bit more expensive than same stone with GIA ex/ex.

Color/Clarity is really your call. But I would go with VS2 if it'd save $$

tayd

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/2/2002 1:29:12 PM

both stones look excellent on paper David. Hope they both are priced right :)

Diamonds with AGS ideal report are usually a bit more expensive than same stone with GIA ex/ex.

Color/Clarity is really your call. But I would go with VS2 if it'd save $$
----------------

Leonid,

Actually the .84 was the one that had the higher price. I guess that was probably due to the size, color, and the AGS cert.?

Regards,
David

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
According to Rapaport, E-VS2 should be about 6% cheaper per carat than F-VVS2.

The diamonds have 4% difference in carat weight. Hence the difference in the price can be because of the AGS-ideal report or just diamonds came from different sources with different cost.

Keep in mind that there are other things that we cannot evaluate without checking the diamonds, e.g. quality of H&A pattern

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results