shape
carat
color
clarity

Final thoughts/advice - before I commit to a purchase

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you for the invaluable advice and lessons provided by various users when I posted about initial considerations over 6 months ago. I am now at the stage where the purchase will be fairly imminent and wanted any final pieces of advice/thoughts before I went ahead.

For context:
- I started off with the idea that my girlfriend was after an Asscher, when I finally showed her some pictures it turns out she was actually after a cushion;
- She has decided to go with a hearts and arrows cushion, though this is purely from online images and we haven't seen the diamonds in person (we live in Australia)
- Jonathan from GOG has been immensely patient and helpful and we intend on making the purchase from there.

Diamond being considered:
- http://www.goodoldgold.com/14938-shape-brellia-cushion-hearts-carat-1-50-color-i-clarity-vs1
- unfortunately, because I've reserved it - it looks like you can no longer view the aset images, etc. However, I will grab the GIA number and post it, once I have it.
- has Jonathan's nod of approval given the 30 day guaruntee, lifetime upgrades, etc

Ring being considered:
- http://www.danhov.com/award-winners/danhov-abbraccio-swirl-engagement-ring-ae100
- considering increasing the shank width to 2mm per earlier advice, but this means the ring will make up about 35% of the total cost.

Budget:
- Flexible, but aiming to be around or under $15000 USD

Questions/Advice:
1. Is there any advice/considerations I need to be aware of making this online? Given the reputation of GOG, I'm not overly concerned about the online purchase with the exception that we won't see anything beforehand.

2. Will re-sizing the ring be an issue in terms of structural integrity if the sizing is off? If I size the ring in the afternoon/evening - should I be concerned that it becomes too loose when the hands are cooler?

3. Any thoughts on the diamond? Though there is limited information available from the above link.
- do I need to be concerned about i colour for a cushion cut? I suppose this is more a question of individual preference.
- is the brellia actually a patented cut, as GOG no longer seems to reference it and BG have their own H&A cushion (though slightly different);
- at a life-sized/real world level will the diamond end up looking like a round? My girlfriend decided she would like a H&A cushion based on us looking at the online pictures, but the initial brief was she didn't want a round or a princess as they were too common. Without having seen the diamond in real life, we might not be making an accurate assessment of how it looks.

4. Is a 2mm vs 1.6mm ring width actually that significant?
- the ring is handforged, though paved with diamonds
- prior advice was firmly against something less than 2mm, though the price difference is close to $1500 USD $4060 vs $5600, which could easily go towards the centre diamond.
- may need to spend a bit more time looking at the vendors mentioned here [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/your-most-admired-vendors.226215/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/your-most-admired-vendors.226215/[/URL]

Apologies for all the questions, but as a significant purchase - I thought I would once again try an elicit the advice of those on here.

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen a beautifully cut GOG Briella hearts and arrows cushion in person, it was a 2 carat H stone. It was a flashlight in terms of performance. But it looked JUST like a round, in person someone had to TELL you it was a square before you could see it. The rounded edges are TOO round and the corners are not prominent enough. Seriously. We played with it for over an hour in different settings and it just looked round.

So I recommend NOT getting a Briella cushion, but a modern generic cushion. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.70-platinum_select_modern--GIA-H-VS2-diamond-stock-15000-cert- This one is FABULOUS. And it is just like the OTHER cushion that I saw side by side with the Briella that was the diamond that the buyer ultimately kept.

As for that setting. NO NO NO. You run your fingers through your hair and it's snag city (I actually tried this one and did this recently it freaked me out). It's just ASKING for trouble and for that top to be ripped right off.

These 2 were MUCH better:

http://www.danhov.com/swirl-engagement-rings-abbraccio/danhov-abbraccio-swirl-engagement-ring-ae152

http://www.danhov.com/swirl-engagement-rings-abbraccio/danhov-abbraccio-swirl-engagement-ring-ae152

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy, your advice is always invaluable - will have to seriously consider the diamond you have picked out, pretty much falls right into the parameters I was after.

In terms of the other two settings (I think you might have pasted the same link though), wouldn't she still run into the same issues of snagging it in her hair or is it because the shank has been lowered? Would you give it a tick if we increased it to 2mm? I know you really dislike the setting, though I'm not going to have the luxury of running her through each setting - she has given the indicative okay with the current AE100.

The ring doesn't have to be a Danhov, but I haven't found something similar to their style from the other recommended jewellers on here.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would not have to widen the band on the setting that Gypsy has recommended because it has an inner shank of metal
that should be more than strong enough. Compare the shank of the one you like and the one Gypsy suggested. The overall
width is wider but it sort of gives the illusion of the other setting because there is the same pave band as the other setting
riding on top of the metal shank (very smart IMO). The head also looks lower but not sure if it is or not. I prefer the setting
Gypsy recommended. I think it will be more comfortable and will withstand the wear better in the long run.

Not sure if this was the other one she may have been recommending but is has the same type of stronger shank.
http://www.danhov.com/swirl-engagement-rings-abbraccio/danhov-abbraccio-engagement-ring-ae155

Wyer

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1476832676|4088402 said:
You would not have to widen the band on the setting that Gypsy has recommended because it has an inner shank of metal that should be more than strong enough...

I'm not sure if these are as aesthetically appealing though - particularly given the difference between the inner band size and the other loop

I think the setting is lower, which is beneficial - as it loses one of the swirls as the basket/prongs are attached from the inner band rather than as part of the swirl on the AE100.

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You've never had long hair have you? =)

It's the way the setting is like a corkscew that is the problem. The other two don't have that. The setting she wants snagged in my hair so bad I took the ring off my finger and I had the sales person unsnag it. It was STUCK.

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback Gypsy.

So humour me and say we decide to go with the setting anyway (as errorenous as that might be) - should we be at least increasing the width to 2mm as you advised previously? I will also be reducing the diamond pave up to the mid-point of the ring.

I'll keep exploring what other settings might work.

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1476770591|4088141 said:
So I recommend NOT getting a Briella cushion, but a modern generic cushion. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.70-platinum_select_modern--GIA-H-VS2-diamond-stock-15000-cert- This one is FABULOUS. And it is just like the OTHER cushion that I saw side by side with the Briella that was the diamond that the buyer ultimately kept.

Hi Gypsy, apologies one other question - with the stone above do I need to be worried about the light leakage in the middle?

Would you be rating this as an A- like some of your other posts?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The table is very small on this one. So while there is leakage it would not be very visible because of the size of the table and will have a small impact. In a stone with a bigger table it would be more obvious. I'd give it a straight A as a result.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, you won't be able to tell with the H. And the sidestones will be fine!

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1477553776|4091056 said:
No, you won't be able to tell with the H. And the sidestones will be fine!

Thank you, thank you.

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Being somewhat overly pedantic here, but trying to finalise the purchase.

No Simon G from GOG unfortunately :(

Also, I'm slightly concerned the diamond/ring will be too large on her size 4 fingers: **edited by moderator, no affiliate site linking please**

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Won't be too small. GOG carries Beverly K. They have really nice Halos. Look there.

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

I'm still waiting for Jon to get back to me with a video before I make the final decision - but I presume everyone has been pre-occupied by the election.

In the meantime I've been doing some additional browsing and I was wondering how you would rate this stone compared with the 1.7?http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.50-platinum_select_modern--GIA-G-SI1-diamond-stock-14189-cert-

I'm not so concerned about the carat size and the spread looks pretty good, I'm just focused on whichever stone is going to have the better light performance and which facet structure appeals when seen.

It seems like the 1.5 has more red? Mainly because the 1.7 has a lot of blue points of contrast, but the 1.5 is also more leaky under the table. Also, both seem to have an inclusion in the centre of the diamond.

Actually, this stone from ERD looks like it has an amazing ASET and fits all my parameters? https://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/this-x-factor-has-been-reserved.-gid-675156.html - but it's already been reserved.

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Also, as an aside - we went window shopping briefly yesterday and she hinted that she was after something a bit more classic and what we saw seemed similar to HW Halos.

After lots of internet browsing at stupidly early hours of the morning I've decided I might actually get a HW Halo setting from SK.

I was wondering whether it is possible to purchase from SK remotely? I suppose it might defeat part of the benefit of being able to co-create the piece with Steven, but given I'm going down a well-trodden route it might be feasible?

We are in NYC next year, but ideally we have the ring ready before then and if anything it's to drop by GOG/SK to make any adjustments.

I also need to reach out to GOG to see if they work with SK or if I need to consider VC.

Any thoughts are welcome, appreciate that I am painstakingly long winded and seem to keep changing with the wind - though I'm getting more directly suggestions, I have to accomodate her wishes accordingly.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your patience with me Gypsy!

I've tried to reach out to some of the diamond consultation sites as well - I got told that the diamond wasn't ideal as there was light leakage. However, I've spent hours trying to look at different ASET images and I'm not sure any modern cut cushions would be significantly better.

Is there any example of an A/A+ ASET image you might have for me to use as a reference guide? Of course each cushion is different and the image is only one source of info, but it helps!

I'll try and get Jon to throw in the G, but he might be a bit reluctant due to cost seeing as neither stone is in-house.

Wyer

Rough_Rock

Wyer

Rough_Rock

Wyer

Rough_Rock
If anyone can provide me with some thoughts on this stone it would be much appreciated?

Unfortunately, I put in a deposit with GOG, but they weren't able to locate/bring in stones that I felt fit the brief.

I reached out to Mark at ERD/BE and he found the following: https://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.60-carat-h-vs1-x-factor-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-1011924.html....

It's still not quite like this one http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.70-platinum_select_modern--GIA-H-VS2-diamond-stock-15000-cert- (but this isn't available anymore).

Edit: Never mind I compared it against the one from GOG and the one I liked on BE and it doesn't rate due to the amount of leakage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results