shape
carat
color
clarity

final picking between 2 diamonds...looking for opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

socalmatt

Rough_Rock
so I have posted diamond comparisons a couple times over the last week, but I think I am getting down to the final choice. I found a setting I want at whiteflash, I know my general budget for the stone (~$2800-2900), and I think I have my final two. The ACA diamonds at WF are 5% off right now, since I will be buying my setting there, so I am choosing between a ACA and a slightly larger ES. what do you think of these two, or can you find a better one in the same price range at WF?? Thanks for the help! I'm going to be calling WF early next week to have them look at them, but these are the ones I like if they come out eyeclean and all that.

Diamond #1: ACA H&A with discount:$2805
.761 ct, H SI 1
5.84-5.87X3.61
table 56.7%
depth 61.7%
crown 34.8 degrees
pavilion 40.9 degrees
polish symmetry both ideal
thin to medium faceted girdle
neg. flourescence
HCA: 1.8, Ex Vg Vg Vg
reports and full details: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=27913

Diamond #2: Whiteflash ES, $2875
.798 ct, G SI 1
5.93-5.95X3.66
table 57.2%
depth 61.6%
crown 34.8 degrees
pavilion 40.8 degrees
polish symmetry both excellent
thin to medium faceted girdle
neg. flourescence
HCA: 1.6, Ex Ex Ex VG
reports and full details: http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-136241.htm#

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi! You''ve got both links going to the H, but I looked at the G.

IF it''s eyeclean, I''d go with it (the G). A tad bigger, and a color grade higher, for 70 bucks. Should be a beautiful stone!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi SoCalMatt. I think this is the link for the G:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-136241.htm#

It looks like both have AGS certs, so you are comparing apples and apples. Other than size, the differences I see are in WF''s cut grade and in the actual inclusions on the certs. The G looks like a MUCH cleaner stone. The H is branded ACA. However, both stones score all 0''s on the Sarin reports. The G has a higher HCA score. So is the ACA branding worth the inclusion and size trade-off? Personally I think not.

I think the G stone is better because it''s A LOT less included, it''s bigger, and it scores higher on the HCA. I would take the ACA things with a grain-of-salt - it''s a great guideline, but is it worth the premium when you have other tools like Sarin and the HCA? I''d get the G.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
g/si
18.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I was re-reading your initial post, that you would have WF look at the diamonds to see if they were really eye-clean. Just a silly question, but were you able to click on the report link and view the cert for each one? There was what looked like a HUGE difference in clarity. I just wanted to make sure you saw that....

socalmatt

Rough_Rock
I did see that, but I also don''t see anything really when I look at the actual photos of the stone. As far as I can tell, the G one seems better and I will pick that one, I just meant I wanted to talk to them, I figure nothing beats someone actually looking at the stones. But thanks!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean Matt. The H somehow looks cleaner in the magnified photo than the G, but the H is also a fuzzier picture. I think you are doing a wise thing to have someone give you an expert opinion. It probably will really come down to those inclusions for you. Keep us posted for sure!

socalmatt

Rough_Rock
self-serving bump to see if anyone came back after thanksgiving
26.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wouldn''t be able to decide without hearing what WF says about the inclusions. If they are both 100% eyeclean, then the G is really nice, but you don''t get the 5% toward the setting that you would with the ACA. So it''s almost a toss up to me. So I''d go with the one that has the cleanest inclusions, bottom line for me. (But WF will have to answer that because we can''t tell from the pictures or certs for sure.)

socalmatt

Rough_Rock
after talking to whiteflash, I ended up with the .761 carat diamond. It''s ACA, so hopefully it''s worth it! I''ll post pics once I receive it. Thanks to everyone for the help over the last couple weeks in looking at diamonds....I learned a lot from pricescope and am so happy I found this site before I purchase the ring!

the stone is going to be set in the new divisi setting....

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Divisi--by-WF_1068.htm

gi_wf-4104_m.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!
36.gif

Please come back and post pics.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You really couldn''t go wrong with those two choices. I think you are going to be very happy with the ring, ditto that we''d love to see pictures when it''s done. Congrats on your purchase.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Congrats SocalMatt! Seemed like a tough choice - they both looked like nice stones. Just curious - what made you decide to go with the H? Was it the inclusion thing or did they sell you on the cut? Can''t wait to see pictures!

socalmatt

Rough_Rock
the G wasn''t bad, but she just told me the ACA performed a little better-more sparkly to use a very untechnical word
26.gif

there was no discernable difference in terms of color, the size difference was miniscule, both looked eye-clean, so really it came down to the ACA cut and saving 70 bucks. The more I looked at them, and after talking to WF, they were basically the same. Here''s hoping I won''t notice (or I guess I mean she won''t notice) the tenth of a mm size difference! I am guessing 5.84 vs. 5.93 isn''t anything.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you got a great deal! She definitely won''t notice the nose-hair-from-a-gnat difference in size! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results