shape
carat
color
clarity

Final Decision Advice needed: Which diamond is better?

blokus79

Rough_Rock
Good Afternoon Everyone!
After months of searching, I have narrowed the list down to two diamonds I found with an online jeweler.

Here is specification for diamond #1. It is ASG certified:
Carat: 2.19 Measurement: 8.26 x 8.35 x 5.18 mm
Color: G
Clarity: SI1 (however the jeweler said it is eye clean from all angles and should have been a VS2)
Cut: ASG0
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Depth: 62.4%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Crown Depth: 15.9%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion Depth: 42.9%
Faceted: 1.3% to 4.1%
Cutlet: pointed
Fluorescence: negligible

Here is specification for diamond #2. It is GIA certified:
carat: 2.01 Measurement: 8.19 x 8.27 x 4.91 mm
Color: F
Clarity: SI1 (the jeweler said the inclusions are white and is eye clean)
Cut: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Very Good
Depth: 59.7%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Crown Depth: 13.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Faceted: Thin to Medium (3%)
Cutlet: none
Fluorescence: None

My dilemma is that the E colored diamond (#2) has a better color and a big face for it's weight,
however it has a relative shallow cut. BUT it actually scored better with the HCA - 1.2.

The other diamond (#1) has a worse color grade - G. And scored worse with HCA - 1.4 (still a really good score), and a deep depth.
But the proportion looks better to me.

In terms of price there is only a $200 difference between the two diamonds.

Any insight on which diamond looks better based on the information above will be appreciated.
I know the information is limited since i don't have any pics on these diamonds but just wanted to make the best decision possible based on what's available.

Thanks!!!!!

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I've got to ask...are these **round** diamonds? Reason why I ask is that HCA doesn't make sense for anything but round brilliants...but your post doesn't mention a shape!

blokus79

Rough_Rock
I apologize!! you are correct they are indeed round cut diamonds :naughty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
proportions on both are fine.

given only that info I'd go with the AGS0, it has the 3d ray tracing simulation to back up the ags0 grade in addition to nice avg proportions

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both look good from the numbers, do not use HCA as a selection tool. Can you get an idealscope image for the stones? The AGS0 is not deep/deep. If choosing from just the numbers, down to your personal preference.

blokus79

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply everyone!

Stonecold - i am assuming when you say its not deep/deep you meant it as a good thing? :wink2:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, not good or bad, just is for that particular combination of table, crown and pavilion angle.

blokus79

Rough_Rock
Yssie , thanks for your reply! apologize for sounding dumb but what is a 3 ray tracing simulation?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To earn 0 cut grade on the current platinum report, they simulate light return through a model of that particular stone - it's not purely proportions-based cut grade like GIA's or on the AGS gold report

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results