shape
carat
color
clarity

Fiftieth Birthday - 2012 Christmas pendant

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per the requests of some PS'ers over in the Hangout, after I posted what I got for Christmas, I'm doing this thread.

This is the pendant I had made for myself this December, when I turned 50. I kinda figured 50 required something a bit more than your average birthday. I'm not sure how I feel about 50, it's kinda weird. Although I'm absolutely certain that the universe doesn't care how I feel about it and will continue rolling along. At least I'll look smashing while time rolls over me, eh? :wacko: ;))

The stones are a 15 pointer up top and a 6 pointer at the bottom. Those were melee I already had. The center is a 1.5 carat Q-R colored stone that I got slightly over 2 years ago and have been saving for just the right project.

The piece was designed by me, drawn up by Valerie Naifeh, and executed by jeweler Elizabeth Ryle. Ryle is the jeweler who executes Valerie's high-karat granulated pieces. She is an excellent designer in her own right, and one of the current masters of gold granulation, and believe me, this piece was probably a yawner for her. Some of the pieces she does for Naifeh's will make your eyes pop out, they are so intricate and gorgeous.

I took extra pics of the bail mechanism, which is intricate, tiny, exquisite and made entirely by hand, and testament to a skill level that is very impressive.

img_0703_small.jpg

img_0705_small.jpg

img_0706_small.jpg

img_0707_small.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more that wouldn't fit above.

The last one is on my new metallic white pearl strand from Pearl Paradise. I love them!! ;))

img_0708_small.jpg

img_0709_small.jpg

img_0710_small.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Splendid! Do you also have the black cord as in your avatar?

Happy Birthday...... :))

cheers--Sharon

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to your fifties! I hope it is as fabulous for you as it has been for me! I love the yellow gold!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a gorgeous necklace. :love: Wear it in health and happiness!
Happy belated 50th!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
What a clever mechanism, so versatile! I think it is just beautiful.

Happy birthday! :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
simply amazing! I love how the piece can be so versatile - and it looks just as stunning on your pearls as it does on the chain!

Welcome to the 50's -- I did not enter them gracefully nor did I welcome the whole decade... but I'm doing ok with it now, so I hope being 50 (and upward!) turns out just as wonderful for you, as they have for me! Happy Birthday, fellow Capricorn! :bigsmile:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful piece! Wear it in good health!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG - I LOVE it on the strand of pearls!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I adore this piece! Spectacular! Do you happen to have a neckshot of it with the pearls?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Oh I NEED one of these!! :love: I absolutely love how versatile it is, you wear dress it up, dress it down, it's perfect! I can't get enough...did I mention that I NEED one of these??? :love:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice, love the design! The diamonds look great!!
:appl: :appl: :love: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love it! It is gorgeous and how awesome that you can wear it with your pearls or a sleek black cord!!

Happy belated birthday!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I truly loved that when I first saw it! :love: I really love granulation in yg pieces! The bail is ingenious! Happy Birthday!!! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and unique - love how it can be changed up for so many different looks!

Congrats on 50 but more importantly on doing something really nice for yourself! I like the way you think!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely piece! Happy bday!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy happy happy Birthday. You know 1962 was a fabulous year and December was the best part of it!!! From one 12/62 baby to another.... The best is yet to come! :appl:

You gift to you is beautiful! :love:

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Brilliant design! I have been looking for a diamond enhancer design for my pearl necklace. You have just given me the answer. Thanks.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is just gorgeous ksinger!!! :love: I too love the versatility of this piece - will look great with jeans and a casual sweater, but also looks amazing with your pearls for dressier occasions. The stones are beautiful and I really love the design!

I hear ya on turning 50! Talk about your mixed emotions! :roll: I entered my 50's kicking and screaming, and eventually realized it wasn't doing me a dam bit of good - so I stopped and now I just try not to think about it :D Bling certainly creates a very pleasant distraction! :naughty: Seriously, I wish you a very happy 50th birthday!

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger|1357428187|3348317 said:
Per the requests of some PS'ers over in the Hangout, after I posted what I got for Christmas, I'm doing this thread.

This is the pendant I had made for myself this December, when I turned 50. I kinda figured 50 required something a bit more than your average birthday. I'm not sure how I feel about 50, it's kinda weird. Although I'm absolutely certain that the universe doesn't care how I feel about it and will continue rolling along. At least I'll look smashing while time rolls over me, eh? :wacko: ;))

The stones are a 15 pointer up top and a 6 pointer at the bottom. Those were melee I already had. The center is a 1.5 carat Q-R colored stone that I got slightly over 2 years ago and have been saving for just the right project.

The piece was designed by me, drawn up by Valerie Naifeh, and executed by jeweler Elizabeth Ryle. Ryle is the jeweler who executes Valerie's high-karat granulated pieces. She is an excellent designer in her own right, and one of the current masters of gold granulation, and believe me, this piece was probably a yawner for her. Some of the pieces she does for Naifeh's will make your eyes pop out, they are so intricate and gorgeous.

I took extra pics of the bail mechanism, which is intricate, tiny, exquisite and made entirely by hand, and testament to a skill level that is very impressive.
Beautiful design and the clasp is genius! My mom recently upgraded her ering & wanted ideas for what to do with her original. She liked the idea of a necklace and now I have something to show her as an option. I really like your pendant!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the very kind birthday wishes! And for patting me on the back and reminding me it's going to be OK. ;))

On the bail, well, I wanted an enhancer bail, but I left the details of that to Elizabeth Ryle, and yes, it is an amazing piece of engineering. Since I make jewelry, I confess I've given the whole piece a once-over with my metal stock gauge (and a loupe), and know the sizes of all the stock she used to make the piece. :oops:

And yes, I wear this pendant about 4 days a week on the chain in the pictures, and I have already worn it with pearls. The black cord they gave me with the pendant has already seen more use than I thought it would - I like the high contrast of the gold with the black.

Again, thanks everyone, and I'm glad you enjoyed the pics!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
You'll manage getting used to the 50's, ksinger! It is a challenge and its a mental adjustment, that's all. Some embrace it, some don't (I was an "insane/over the edge/gone crazy/flipped out/angry" resister. It was not my finest hour, I'll sum it up that way...) Everyone has a number that just hits them the wrong way and for me, it was DEFINITELY 50! Maybe if I was into bling at the time, something GORGEOUS like this would have helped me over it... I dunno.... but now that I'm (just) 54, its nothing!!! Its just a state of mind!

Welcome to the "new STATE"!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

(and just wanted to come back and look at this pics again - I love LOVE that enhancer - it is a piece of beauty and engineering genius!!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way are you 50, you look fabulous! I love it; what an awesome way to honor your 50th! congrats on that beauty, to an even more beautiful lady! :appl: :love:

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Love the color of the gold.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for finding me (in The Gold Thread) and alerting me that this thread existed, ksinger. I would have missed it and I would have hated to! Please repost all of this ine The Gold Thread as well as here. I think it really belongs there.

You did not go into great detail in this thread about the gold used in the hand crafting of your pendant, but you mentioned to me in The Gold Thread that the granulation was 22K. Does that mean that the rest of the pendant is lower karat gold? If so, what karatage is it? I would guess 18K, but it could be 19K or 21K, too.

At any rate, I join the consensus here. The pendant is very cleverly designed and exected and is unique. I don't mind seeing all that bling when I look at it, either. It is great that you can wear it in different ways. Happy Birthday!

Hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

Malbec54

Shiny_Rock
What an amazing pendant. Very unique. Happy belated b-day!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1357511297|3349014 said:
Thank you for finding me (in The Gold Thread) and alerting me that this thread existed, ksinger. I would have missed it and I would have hated to! Please repost all of this ine The Gold Thread as well as here. I think it really belongs there.

You did not go into great detail in this thread about the gold used in the hand crafting of your pendant, but you mentioned to me in The Gold Thread that the granulation was 22K. Does that mean that the rest of the pendant is lower karat gold? If so, what karatage is it? I would guess 18K, but it could be 19K or 21K, too.

At any rate, I join the consensus here. The pendant is very cleverly designed and exected and is unique. I don't mind seeing all that bling when I look at it, either. It is great that you can wear it in different ways. Happy Birthday!

Hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

Deb, bezel stock (the part around the stone) is frequently 22K (due to softness). Granulation by definition can only be done with near-pure and pure metals. The only karat of gold that will fuse without solder, is a pretty specific alloy of 22K consisting of nothing but the proper percentage of gold, fine silver, and just a touch of copper - (gotta have the copper). I am going on the educated assumption that the entire pendant portion is 22K, and that the bail and its mechanism, which need more hardness and durability, are the 18K part. Honestly, given how soft 22K is, I'd really not want the bail in 22K anyway.

I've louped the pendant (naturally) and it looks as if the only thing holding it together are the fused backplate and gold balls on the sides. If there is fusing from bezel to bezel, it is hard to see, although I suspect it is there. The finesse in this piece is truly amazing.

Elizabeth Ryle's work is not seen too often on the web, I think she sells directly in her own name via The Clay Pot, but for the rest, has exclusive contracts to do work with only 3 galleries in the country, of which Naifeh's is one. She executes Valerie's designs - and Valerie is a marvelous designer working in high karat gold.

http://www.jewel22kt.com/new.htm

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is gorgeous! I am totally in love with it. You know how to celebrate a birthday!! (Aha! I have a big one coming up next month; you gave me an idea! Thanks!) Hope it was a very happy one -- with that pendant, how could it not be? :love:

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1357514058|3349082 said:
Elizabeth Ryle's work is not seen too often on the web, I think she sells directly in her own name via The Clay Pot, but for the rest, has exclusive contracts to do work with only 3 galleries in the country, of which Naifeh's is one. She executes Valerie's designs - and Valerie is a marvelous designer working in high karat gold.

Indeed she does, and if you look through The Gold Thread you will see me carrying on about one of her rings which was offered on The Clay Pot. I believe that I said I coveted it and had to have it! It was full of granulation! I have admired her work in gold for ages!!! :lickout:

Deb
:saint:

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The workmanship on that piece is just amazing! Awesome design! A very nice pendant! Happy Birthday! Congrats on your new work of art!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results