shape
carat
color
clarity

FIC vs. good ol'' TIC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hughey J

Rough_Rock
Funny how one pays attention to everyone else''s rings once one starts doing some diamond research!

Over the holidays I was looking at my GF''s sister''s huge rock from across a dimly-lit room, and was noticing the beautiful flashes of colour (I''m Canadian, so it''s spelled right!
2.gif
). This made me lean toward finding a FIC cut as opposed to a TIC or BIC. In my opinion (and I think my GF''s opinion too), the flashes of colour are more stunning than white flashes.

Does anyone know of drawbacks with favouring the FIC? Will a TIC give the same ''firey'' flashes as an FIC? Under what lighting conditions will a FIC look different from a TIC?

Thanks in Adavance to anyone who can answer my queries.

highendgems

Rough_Rock
the best is to find something in between, with a leaning toward FIC. try to hit these dimensions (1.5 carats)

7.44 x 7.4 x 4.56
61.7 depth
56 table
14 crown
43.5 pavilion
thin to medium girdle
very good-ex symmetry
ex. polish

this will score near or just below 1.0 on the HCA for both BIC, FIC and TIC...an incredible cut round diamond.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Well, I feel there are a few drawbacks to the FIC. First, they are harder to find because the crown angle on an FIC is steeper than most diamonds.

Second, the crown angle is often so steep that the diamond falls outside the criteria for "ideal" proportions.

Third, FIC diamonds often look smaller than their actual weight. The often have a smaller table, and the steep crown makes the diamond appear smaller than its weight. (This is the opposite of BIC diamonds, which are shallow crowns and tend to have more spread--look visually bigger than their weight.)

The TIC is a good blend of fire, scintillation, and brilliance. TICs do display a great deal of fire....especially in dim light situations like you described....without sacrificing the visual size.

I've never had the opportunity to compare a TIC and an FIC side by side in various lighting conditions, but I can tell you that my TIC produces SERIOUS fiery flashes of color. I, too, was focused on getting fire, and I think the TIC fits the bill nicely.

If you focus on well-cut diamonds with a crown angle between 34.3-34.8 and a pavilion angle of 40.6-40.9....along with good depth/table figures, you should come up with a diamond that has gorgeous fire and light return.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
It would be nice to see a side-by-side image of a same-size FIC, BIC, and TIC. Is this possible?

Diamondlil

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Is that diamond EGL graded?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Was the lady in question wearing her ring near christmas lights? That could explain the extra colors and sparkle.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Maybe "Cut Nut" (or some of the other experts or vendors) can chime in here and perhaps post some pics of a FIC, TIC, and BIC all side by side under some different lighting conditions?
1.gif

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
what is a TIC And BIC? I think FIC is Fiery ideal cut right? I'm guessing BIC is brilliant ideal cut??????

edumacate me please
confused.gif

Hughey J

Rough_Rock
BIC = Brilliant Ideal Cut

TIC = Tolkowsky Ideal Cut

FIC = Fiery Ideal Cut

They're all slightly different cut ratios that fall within "ideal" cut standards. This explains it better that I ever could: http://www.diamond-cut.com.au/23_bicfic.htm

Mr. Holloway's website explains tons in detail.

Glitterata: Nope, the diamond at which I was peering wasn't near Christmas lights, just average incandescant overhead lights.

Derek: I too was hoping CutNut would chime in with some examples! (Other than the computer-simulated examples on his site)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A good example of a FIC cut would have a small table (e.g. 54%) and a slightly larger depth (but still hopefully under or around 62%). The crown angle could be over 35 and the pav angle would still need to be in a good range but not too steep. The smaller the table the more FIRE in the stone vs white light, combine this with a slightly deepers stone and you've got a nice looking FIC.

For example if you had:

54% table

62% depth

35.2 crown angle

40.5 pav angle

It would score: .6 on the HCA with EX EX EX VG TIC *but* would most likely place more emphasis on FIRE than white brilliance.

This same stone but with a 57% table and a 62% depth would need a 34 or similar crown angle and a 40.5 pav angle and would return more white light than colored light to your eye. It may only be minimal in terms of visibility, e.g. how your eye will perceive it.

57% table

62% depth

34 crown angle

40.5 pav angle

Would score .6 on HCA with same EX EX EX VG but would place more emphasis on WHITE brilliance than fire.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Greetings, fellow Canuck.
1.gif
Keep on spelling things correctly and putting the 'u' where it belongs.
9.gif

The Christmas lights comment is a good observation - most diamonds, even if they're not particularly well cut, will still exhibit some sparkle and flash in the right lighting. The stone you viewed might not be an FIC, but given certain lighting environments, it could still show flashes of coloured light (dispersion/fire.)

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Garry? Rhino Any handy pics of FIC's, TIC's, and BIC's handy to show?
1.gif

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 1/7/2004 1:25:01 AM derekinla wrote:

Garry? Rhino Any handy pics of FIC's, TIC's, and BIC's handy to show?
1.gif
----------------

My guess is that it is next to impossible to capture these subtle difference in still photography.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have some great DiamCalc movies - but they are such humungous files even when they are reduced with codec.

But I could email some models to Leonid and all those with GemAdviser could load and play them
1.gif

Hows that?

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Can somebody refer me to the location of information for the stats of a FIC ? The ones provided here are for a 1.5, what about other sizes?

wavey.gif
Hi Garry !

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
I'm glad you brought this up -- that FIC, TIC, BIC has baffled me. The page, and espcially the chart, that Cut Nut linked to was VERY helpful.

Thanks,

Kris

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Hughey J

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your input. Interesting stuff.

I'll soon have a decent computer of my own on which to download such things as GemAdviser (can't be putting policy-breaking programs like that on company computers!).

I'm away on business yet again, having my Diamond-buying plans foiled again! Once back, I should be able to proceed, giving the details and posting pictures... I have yet to try photographing anything up close, so beware - bad pics could be on the way!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/7/2004 7:31:49 AM leonid wrote: Garry asked me to post these files:
----------------

Hm... these do not work for me either. Quite tempting though
2.gif
How big are the files?

mercerdnky

Rough_Rock
I can't open the files either. Can anyone tell us what to do?

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
files still not working
sad.gif

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
>>I can't open the files either. Can anyone tell us what to do?
It looks likely either the files are really not on the Server
or (more likely)
Leonid needs to configure the tutor virtual directory in IIS.

Hughey J

Rough_Rock
I'll contact Leonid to see if the links can be fixed.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If you like the looks of a true FIC stone, then an OEC may be for you. Tables tend to be very small (51,52) with deeper depths (64 ish). Keep in mind that a stone such as this will appear smaller. Many people, myself included, like the richness of a stone like this & will sacrifice on size appearance.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

bacon

Rough_Rock
This is Personal!!!!!!

Don't get bogged down in the number game. Numbers are important but are not the be all and end all. Numbers measure only about 17 of 57 facets. That leaves lots of room for a lesser cutter to take advantage of a consumer too reliant on numbers instead of their eyes. Use your Eyes. Use both. Use the numbers too. Learn the look you like best. Don't let others sway you.
L@@K at scores of diamonds at least. In many many many lighting situations. Study your most common lighting situation carefully.

Fire is my favorite part. That is my bias. Any silvered mirror can be brillant and reflect 100% of the light. Ya wanna wear a mirror? 8-) Or something that demands attention from across the room? Kinda cool having your eye grabbed so firmly that way from so far away by something so small, huh? Didya lose track of the conversation you were in? then you are a true diamond lover. The magic of the union of the crystal and the cutter!

Exactly, it is a personal perference.

L@@K L@@K L@@K L@@K L@@K L@@K L@@K
Then you will Know when you see it! (the diamond that is yours)

Respectfully
Joe (alphatbet soup)

bacon

Rough_Rock
If you plan on wearing and enjoying your diamond don't waste time with photos.
Go L@@K L@@K L@@K L@@K L@@K L@@K with your eyes eyes eyes
Yes it is time consuming but it is the vaccination for buyers remorse (nobody likes that, buyer or seller)
Respectfully
Joe

Hughey J

Rough_Rock
GemAdviser file update...

Apparently the server won't allow Leonid to upload that type of file. Perhaps in the future.
1.gif

Cheers to all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results