shape
carat
color
clarity

Few Questions for Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hseikaly

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m going to take the plunge soon and start looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I have been studying up on diamonds in general, talking to my friends who have taken the plunge, and started to shop around to some stores to get an idea of how things work. I just have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer for me:

1) How does one verify that a store is giving you the diamond that matches with the certification they are showing you? I understand that not all diamonds have an inscription that will match with the cert.

2) Has anyone had the problem where they bought a ring, got it appraised, then realized that the diamond was not as promised? What would you need to do to prevent something like that?

3) Does anyone have good negotiation tips on price?

I guess I''m just paranoid on getting scammed (in my nature). Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Thanks!
Peter

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 11:00:47 AM
Author:hseikaly
Hi all,

I'm going to take the plunge soon and start looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I have been studying up on diamonds in general, talking to my friends who have taken the plunge, and started to shop around to some stores to get an idea of how things work. I just have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer for me:

1) How does one verify that a store is giving you the diamond that matches with the certification they are showing you? I understand that not all diamonds have an inscription that will match with the cert. You can get an independant appraisal and the appraiser will be able to match the diamond to the report, alternatively if the plotting diagram permits and or the clarity grade shows inclusions on the report and within the diamond under magnification, this can be used for identification purposes. If you notice a distinctive inclusion under magnification then you can use that as a birthmark to identify your diamond.

But it is extremely rare that the diamond doesn't match the report or is the wrong one, so trust but verify is good advice.

2) Has anyone had the problem where they bought a ring, got it appraised, then realized that the diamond was not as promised? What would you need to do to prevent something like that? It hasn't happened to me, as I said it is rare but if you are concerned an appraiser is the one to help you, or if you have a jeweller you like and plan to use for maintenance etc, they should be willing to go over the diamond with you so you can identify it. Also if it makes you feel better you could see about getting the diamond inscribed.

3) Does anyone have good negotiation tips on price? Internet vendors are usually operating on slim margins anyway however there might be a discount if you ask or are prepared to pay with bank wire, or a price match policy.

I guess I'm just paranoid on getting scammed (in my nature). Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Thanks!
Peter

hseikaly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response, are there any more suggestions? I could use all the advice I could get!

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 4:02:57 PM
Author: hseikaly
Thanks for your response, are there any more suggestions? I could use all the advice I could get!

Thanks!
You are very welcome. Honestly, if you shop with a trusted seller whether online or from a store, you won't get ripped off. Most vendors work very hard to get a great reputation and work very hard to keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results