shape
carat
color
clarity

Festive Menu Planning - 2020 version

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kids don't eat the traditional goose, so we'll switch over to capon this year.

We're usually over 20 people so I made a roast goose and roasted a farmer's market chicken or capon for the kids. This year we won't be enough people to do that, so capon for all it is.

Homemade Gravy is non negotiable.

Don't know about sides, since we used to go all out with a minimum of scalloped potatoes, Brussels sprouts in creamy sauce, rice, rutabaga mash, mashed potatoes, sweet potato mash, roast mushrooms, traditional German kale & red cabbage.. ..

I think I'll start freezing mini portions of the sides that are better reheated (red cabbage, kale, rutabaga, creamy B sprouts) ... Then decide on two starchy sides. Kids want plain white basmati, DH doesn't like sweet potato mash.. M so a toss up between scalloped potatoes and mashed potatoes, I guess..

Dessert: minimum 5 varieties of homemade cookies..". vanillekipferl "and "klosterkipferl" Are the most important ones in that category.. My very very very skinny son can't control himself. I have to lock them away or he'd just keep eating them...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl how about roast duck with a Chinese 5-spice rub?

That's what I do with my roast duck when I am at home, and make a spicy sweet and sour sauce using Hoisin sauce as one of the ingredients.

Get some duck pancake, slice up some spring onions and cucumber, and you have duck 2 ways on the big day. ;)2

I normally fry up some leftover roast duck meat and skin for duck pancake for 27 or 28 Dec.

Roast pork can be both as well, depending on the side dishes.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had planned to roast a goose and then make rillette with the leftover afterwards for this year.

However, I would struggle to give it away as it is not everyone's cup of tea, being too fatty etc... :roll2:

Hence I am not prepared to spend over 70 GBP for a goose just for me!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow when I roast a chicken, the breast meat goes to the pets, and I eat the crispy skin, wings and legs! :lol-2:

@Austina garlic and bacon make everything tastes better IMHO! :lol-2:

Haha i like the legs but my husband hates the dark meat portion so usually I just buy the chicken breast parts from the store and stovetop those. It turns out super tasty. Lmao autocorrect tried to say stove pipe. That would be awkward stuffing them in the stove pipe!

@MeowMeow can you not get just the turkey crown? We only like the breast meat, so I haven’t bought a whole turkey for nearly 40 years. The dog used to get all the leg meat and other bits that no one else would eat :lol: I always left some meat on the breast carcass and boiled it up for Dottie, then used the stock to soak her kibble, she loved it, plus obviously she always got some of the meat when I carved up the crown.

I’ve seen fresh sprouts @dk168. I’m not that keen on them, but sliced up and sautéed with garlic and bacon kills the sprouts taste :mrgreen:

I actually took a quick look last night. It looks like I might be able to get a boneless roast. So cutting and stove topping it might actually work out. I think I'm going to try grabbing one and freezing it this weekend. I use maybe 3 tablespoons of flour and a couple of cups of broth as i cook cut pieces on the stove for a little under 15 minutes on medium and the chicken is so good. I think it would work for turkey too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had confirmation earlier this evening that my campervan/RV will not be ready this side of 2020, therefore, I shall be spending the festive period at home.

Hello proper roast dinners and other goodies!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are doing Christmas Day with DH's family, so have no idea what they will serve. We will likely bring a dessert of some sort, they love pavlova, which is quick and easy.

Boxing Day is with my family, as we will all be stuffed from the day before, we will have cold meats, prawns, oysters and salad (plus, it's way too hot here in the Aussie summer for a hot meal!) with a light(ish) dessert of chocolate mousse or something like that. Or I will stick to tradition and make my lemon meringue pie :lickout: Then it's coffee and chocolates, and port wine in the afternoon. Then home to our pool and outdoor spa to get through the food coma hopefully, weather permitting!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not camping over the festive period anymore as my campervan/RV will not be ready until mid January 2021 the earliest, another casualty of C19, hey ho! :confused2:

I decided to have a goose instead of a duck at home on the big day, and shall make lots of goodies with the leftover meat and fat afterwards.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding braised red cabbage as a side dish to go with the goose, the acidity would help to cut down the richness of the meat.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding braised red cabbage as a side dish to go with the goose, the acidity would help to cut down the richness of the meat.

That's part if the traditional German Christmas Day combo (plus dumplings).

We use the goose fat and apples plus a bit of cloves and let it simmer until tender... Even yummier reheated. But can be cooked more "modern" to all dente only... Yummy!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's part if the traditional German Christmas Day combo (plus dumplings).

We use the goose fat and apples plus a bit of cloves and let it simmer until tender... Even yummier reheated. But can be cooked more "modern" to all dente only... Yummy!!

I am concorting my own recipe, thinking of using mango and orange juice as the braising liquid, with added garlic, sliced onion, and cinnamon.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Okay I'll bite. My husband, I and my son, DIL, and 19 mo. granddaughter.

hors d'oeuvre :

miniature hot dogs/mustard; queso, chips, salsa; ham rollups (sliced deli ham, cream cheese, with a scallion/green onion rolled up and sliced as finger food; celery and cream cheese

Dinner:

mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes mousseline; green beans; cranberry jelly; rolls; sliced rutabaga (if I can find it, hard to find in Texas easy in the Northeast) turkey gravy; traditional sage stuffing with celery and onions and seasoning/butter and stock, then baked outside the turkey, maybe creamed onions if John wants them, small ham as my DIL does not like turkey. If no rutabaga I may try beets..

Dessert:

pumpkin pie; fudge (marshmallow one) egg nog cookies for DIL.

Sweet Potatoes Mousseline Recipe for anyone interested.

Can anyone tell me how to cook creamed onions,? They sound amazing:lickout:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
just got my fruit xmss cake out of the oven
thats that off the list

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results