shape
carat
color
clarity

Festive Menu Planning - 2020 version

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With C19 restrictions looming, the number of people who could attend festive gatherings together may be significantly reduced.

There were talks of turkey farmers not fattening their birds so that they are more suitable for smaller gatherings.

I thought I had it sorted until recently with what to cook in my campervan's kitchen, with only a mini 12L convection oven and a 2-burner induction hob, as the second lockdown may result in my van not being ready in time for 24 Dec 2020. No big deal, as it means I can cook up a storm in the comfort of my own home and kitchen.

What is everyone's plan for your festive gathering please?

Food talks always cheer me up!

Thanks in advance. :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Menus for spending Christmas camping in my camper van:

25 Dec:
Starter - Pan-fried sweet and spicy whole jumbo prawns
Main - Roast partridge or poussin with all the trimings (Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and parsnips, and stir-fried vegetables)
Dessert - Crème Caramel (pre-cooked from home)

26 Dec:
Starter - Snails in garlic butter (frozen, shop-bought, already purchased)
Main - Steak dinner with a nice piece of Ribeye steak, with chips/fries, mushrooms, onion rings, blue cheese sauce and stir-fried vegetables.
Dessert - More Crème caramel

01 Jan:
Starter - Smoked Mackerel Paté with Melba Toasts
Main - Pan-fried duck breast with a red peppercorn sauce, with stir-fried vegetables and mashed potato
Dessert - Carribean Apple Crumble with lashing of cream (pre-cooked in the freezer already)

For spending Christmas at home, the starts and desserts are unlikely to change, however, the main courses will definitely change as I have access to a full size oven!

25 Dec - Roast duck with all the trimmings
26 Dec - Roast belly pork, Chinese/Cantonese style, with plain boiled rice, garlicky oyster sauce and wilted iceberg lettuce dressed in oyster sauce
01 Jan - Roast lamb with rosemary and garlic with all the trimmings

There will be my usual nibbles of smoked salmon with a dill sauce on Ritz crackers, and cooked king prawns with a homemade Marie Rose sauce on different types of crackers, usually poppy and sesame thins.

Also cheeses with another type of crackers like Krackerwheat or similar, such as Époisses and/or Camembert, and a blue cheese such as Roquefort/Stilton/Saint Agur.

And all these for just one person :lol-2: (I don't like spending the big days with anyone as I can't deal with other people's dramas!), the pets may get to share a bit.

A bit OTT I know, however, food means a lot to me, even more so in crazy times like what we are going through right now.

Stay safe and eat well everyone!

DK :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I'm impressed @dk168 ! That all sounds so good!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the two of us, and it’ll be the traditional Christmas meal of turkey, stuffing, bacon wrapped sausages, carrots, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, sprouts with bacon & garlic, roast parsnips and yorkies. Christmas pud and cream for desser.

The next couple of days we’ll be having cold turkey and bubble and squeak.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, I forgot pigs in blankets, DOH!!!

Thanks for the reminder @Austina . :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leftover roast duck would be used to make noodle soup and fried rice (some will go into the freezer).

Leftover roast pork would be pan-fried in soya sauces, fish sauce and Chinese rice wine (or Vodka) etc., again, some will go into the freezer.

Leftover roast lamb will end up in a curry or stew of some sort, again, some will go into the freezer.

I just love festive cooking!

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Roast turkey,roast potatoes,brussel sprouts,bread sause,cranberry sause glazed carrots & turkey gravy, followed by Christmas pudding & lashings of Brandy butter!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay I'll bite. My husband, I and my son, DIL, and 19 mo. granddaughter.

hors d'oeuvre :

miniature hot dogs/mustard; queso, chips, salsa; ham rollups (sliced deli ham, cream cheese, with a scallion/green onion rolled up and sliced as finger food; celery and cream cheese

Dinner:

mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes mousseline; green beans; cranberry jelly; rolls; sliced rutabaga (if I can find it, hard to find in Texas easy in the Northeast) turkey gravy; traditional sage stuffing with celery and onions and seasoning/butter and stock, then baked outside the turkey, maybe creamed onions if John wants them, small ham as my DIL does not like turkey. If no rutabaga I may try beets..

Dessert:

pumpkin pie; fudge (marshmallow one) egg nog cookies for DIL.

Sweet Potatoes Mousseline Recipe for anyone interested.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to try this instead of traditional turkey on Thanksgiving.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Everyone's recipes are making my mouth water & giving me some great ideas so keep em' coming!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I want to try this instead of traditional turkey on Thanksgiving.

I saw that yesterday too!

We are just two people for Thanksgiving this year. I don't think we will make anything. It seems like a lot of work for that.

For Christmas, we will have other half's 14 year old and also his parents. I suppose I probably have to do something. However the 14 year old doesn't eat anything aside from chicken nuggets, french fries, cheese pizza without anything green on it, and peanut butter and jelly for the most part!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat I know of a 14yo boy who did not know how to use a tin opener to open a can of soup when his parents went on holiday, and shortly after he turned 16, he became a father, much to his parents' delight, NOT!

DK :roll2:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@dk168 You know, I think some of it is just how certain kids are. I had to teach the child I'm talking about how to use the stove this past summer to make boxed macaroni and cheese. He would prefer that we make him the food and serve it. I do not do that. I feel that he is fully old enough to be able to learn how to make his own food, especially when he refuses to eat what the rest of us eat!

I hadn't even really thought about Christmas dinner though. It's probably been a good two years since I've done it.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@elizat I know of a 14yo boy who did not know how to use a tin opener to open a can of soup when his parents went on holiday, and shortly after he turned 16, he became a father, much to his parents' delight, NOT!

DK :roll2:

Lol
Can't figure out how to use a can opener but can already open a can....
:lol-2:

Sorry the joke basically set itself up!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Have only planned as far as Thanksgiving. @dk168 your menu sounds delectable.

We are celebrating with 10 people total...a few strays that would have no place to go and are new in town.

Dinner
  • Spatchcock roasted turkey
  • Turkey gravy
  • Sweet potato casserole with coconut pecan topping
  • Garlic chive mashed potatoes
  • Wild rice casserole
  • Dinner rolls and rosemary garlic butter
  • Roasted brussels sprouts with shallots and mustard sauce
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Bread stuffing casserole
Dessert:
  • Spiced molasses cookies
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Whiskey chocolate pecan pie

I can't wait, it is my favorite holiday!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss sprouts, and have yet to see them being sold loose in the supermarket or the farm shop that I frequent.

I love them sliced thinly and stir-fried as part of my vegetable medley with the likes of sugar snap peas, fine beans, broccoli and Savoy cabbage.

I love reading everyone's food plans, please keep them coming!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of the turkey above.

You can order just the sides from Fresh Market. Kind of nice, specialty grocery for those not familiar.

I know it's cheating, but I may end up doing that! And getting a cake from a specific bakery. I hate fruit pie. Nobody eats pie to my knowledge.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I miss sprouts, and have yet to see them being sold loose in the supermarket or the farm shop that I frequent.

I love them sliced thinly and stir-fried as part of my vegetable medley with the likes of sugar snap peas, fine beans, broccoli and Savoy cabbage.

I love reading everyone's food plans, please keep them coming!

Sprouts had a rough year this year...not sure why, but my farmer pals at my local farmer's market said so. Anything they produced were speck-sized.

They are such a fab, versatile veg! Mmm that stir fry sounds delish!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
we never have a big Christmas meal...will just be us...alot of times it's just eggs, bacon and toast.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'm still considering. The only thing I know right now is I will be making a boat load of mashed potatoes with gravy for all the meals as well as steamed veggies and probably stuffing for my husband. Do smaller turkeys even exist? Like Cornish hens vs regular chickens? Lmao. I've never tried to make a full size turkey before.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still considering. The only thing I know right now is I will be making a boat load of mashed potatoes with gravy for all the meals as well as steamed veggies and probably stuffing for my husband. Do smaller turkeys even exist? Like Cornish hens vs regular chickens? Lmao. I've never tried to make a full size turkey before.

I cooked a small turkey about 3kg in the past, it was like a very big chicken.

Not for me I must say, as I don't like turkey. It was for a Christmas meal for my then outlaws, never again, as they were really fussy eaters!

ean

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168 You know, I think some of it is just how certain kids are. I had to teach the child I'm talking about how to use the stove this past summer to make boxed macaroni and cheese. He would prefer that we make him the food and serve it. I do not do that. I feel that he is fully old enough to be able to learn how to make his own food, especially when he refuses to eat what the rest of us eat!

I hadn't even really thought about Christmas dinner though. It's probably been a good two years since I've done it.

To be fair, I didn’t know how to use a stove until I moved halfway across the world and got married at 19. :))) A lot of it has got to do with my Asian mom not really wanting to have anybody in her kitchen. Everything was faster if she just did it herself. Not to blame her though, she did cook 3 meals a day for all 5 children and my dad. She is an excellent cook! I inherited that trait if I do say so myself. My husband showing me how to use the oven and the stove might be his best decision and investment so far. He now turns his nose up at store bought burger buns and “fast food” pizza. Lol

ean

Brilliant_Rock
Menus for spending Christmas camping in my camper van:

25 Dec:
Starter - Pan-fried sweet and spicy whole jumbo prawns
Main - Roast partridge or poussin with all the trimings (Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and parsnips, and stir-fried vegetables)
Dessert - Crème Caramel (pre-cooked from home)

26 Dec:
Starter - Snails in garlic butter (frozen, shop-bought, already purchased)
Main - Steak dinner with a nice piece of Ribeye steak, with chips/fries, mushrooms, onion rings, blue cheese sauce and stir-fried vegetables.
Dessert - More Crème caramel

01 Jan:
Starter - Smoked Mackerel Paté with Melba Toasts
Main - Pan-fried duck breast with a red peppercorn sauce, with stir-fried vegetables and mashed potato
Dessert - Carribean Apple Crumble with lashing of cream (pre-cooked in the freezer already)

For spending Christmas at home, the starts and desserts are unlikely to change, however, the main courses will definitely change as I have access to a full size oven!

25 Dec - Roast duck with all the trimmings
26 Dec - Roast belly pork, Chinese/Cantonese style, with plain boiled rice, garlicky oyster sauce and wilted iceberg lettuce dressed in oyster sauce
01 Jan - Roast lamb with rosemary and garlic with all the trimmings

There will be my usual nibbles of smoked salmon with a dill sauce on Ritz crackers, and cooked king prawns with a homemade Marie Rose sauce on different types of crackers, usually poppy and sesame thins.

Also cheeses with another type of crackers like Krackerwheat or similar, such as Époisses and/or Camembert, and a blue cheese such as Roquefort/Stilton/Saint Agur.

And all these for just one person :lol-2: (I don't like spending the big days with anyone as I can't deal with other people's dramas!), the pets may get to share a bit.

A bit OTT I know, however, food means a lot to me, even more so in crazy times like what we are going through right now.

Stay safe and eat well everyone!

I’m coming right over, DK! And I promise I have no drama!!! Lol Roast pork belly might just be my most favorite thing in the world.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I cooked a small turkey about 3kg in the past, it was like a very big chicken.

Not for me I must say, as I don't like turkey. It was for a Christmas meal for my then outlaws, never again, as they were really fussy eaters!

Haha i like it I've just never actually cooked one before. I confess to never cooking anything larger than partial chickens in the oven and my husband always complains that method comes out dry. I've started cooking chicken breast on the stove top and make a gravy of sorts with it and he loves that. It never turns out dry at all. I mean maybe I could defrost it and cut off parts and cook it stove top the same way? I dunno.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Jeez you all are amazing cooks! I'm nowhere in this league LOL. None of us like turkey, and we eat a lot of chicken so we have lasagna, or chicken pot pie with salad and homemade rolls. One year we had fish tacos :lol: but we do some appies (usually charcuterie) and desserts. Pumpkin pie and Xmas baking. I'm reading this as I'm looking for inspiration beyond turkey, ham and what we usually do.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
in the past, for thanksgiving we roast a turkey. and for christmas, it has always been roast goose. and the usual festive homemade sides and desserts

cheese course
arugula salad
alaskan king crab legs
butternut pumpkin bisque
mushroom medley bisque
oyster stuffing
creamy mashed potatoes
gravy
herb roasted potatoes
sweet potato gratin
fresh cranberry orange zest compote
green bean casserole
flash stir fry sugar snap peas

classic cheesecake
cinnamon apple pie
maple pecan torte
spiced pumpkin pie
buche de noel (for christmas)

lots of cocktails, wine and champagne

tea and coffee

christmas eve dinner and new year's eve dinners are usually roasted rack of lamb ...

haven't even thought about the thanksgiving menu or christmas menu for 2020. thanks for the reminder @dk168

well, this year for thanksgiving, im considering roasting a duck, cantonese style. and for christmas, perhaps a roasted tenderloin of beef

thanks for bringing up something happy to think about @dk168

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeez you all are amazing cooks! I'm nowhere in this league LOL. None of us like turkey, and we eat a lot of chicken so we have lasagna, or chicken pot pie with salad and homemade rolls. One year we had fish tacos :lol: but we do some appies (usually charcuterie) and desserts. Pumpkin pie and Xmas baking. I'm reading this as I'm looking for inspiration beyond turkey, ham and what we usually do.

You bake. That is a big deal! Home made pastry for Chicken Pot Pie. Yum.

I use my Mom's pastry recipe and make chunky tourtiere (Canadian Living Holiday Baking 1996) that is devine. In that same issue, is a salmon and rice pie and a deep dish sweet potato pot pie.

Pie till the cows come home.

cheers--Sharon

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow can you not get just the turkey crown? We only like the breast meat, so I haven’t bought a whole turkey for nearly 40 years. The dog used to get all the leg meat and other bits that no one else would eat :lol: I always left some meat on the breast carcass and boiled it up for Dottie, then used the stock to soak her kibble, she loved it, plus obviously she always got some of the meat when I carved up the crown.

I’ve seen fresh sprouts @dk168. I’m not that keen on them, but sliced up and sautéed with garlic and bacon kills the sprouts taste :mrgreen:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow when I roast a chicken, the breast meat goes to the pets, and I eat the crispy skin, wings and legs! :lol-2:

@Austina garlic and bacon make everything tastes better IMHO! :lol-2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your menu sounds amazing DK!

I shall share mine when I have a plan. I am currently undecided as to whether I want to go Asian or Western.

Hubby's uncle's family are still coming over for Christmas this year much to our delight! We texted them early this week to ask if they would like to come for Christmas lunch or whether they would like to have meal with us before Christmas without everyone else. They have an immunocompromised child so we are very surprised they want to join in on the day with other guests.

Super happy that we'll be seeing them though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results