shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling gloomy - advice about where to get ring made

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Well and there are ways to say "Sorry, we can't or aren't willing to do what you want" without being offensive. For instance, they could have said it is their policy to only work with H and above stones and that they cannot source antique stones that would meet the criterion of having ideal light performance, and so would not be able to work with you - WITHOUT any value judgments on any of the things you want!

p.s. I think you're right to stick to your guns on an AVC... they're so beautiful, and if you like the chunky flashes of light you will love it so much more than a modern cut.

So true! We on PS are spoiled with the wealth of knowledge available to us and even more spoiled in that we actually take advantage of it.

Also @GeorgieQ is the cat in your avatar a ragdoll? I have two of my own :) sorry to threadjack, whisper89, I just saw a cat and had to ask!

Yes he is!!! He's a great big, loopy, sooky sweetheart - just beautiful cats the ragdolls!

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi Whisper, I was in a similar boat to you when I purchased my AVC. I live in a regional area in Australia and just did not have the opportunity to see any antique diamonds in person. This is why I decided to go with an AVC, for me it was basically fool proof, which is what I needed as returning it was just not an option (far too costly). I knew I'd be getting an ideal cut diamond with the antique look that I wanted, so I went for it and I can honestly say I have not regretted my decision. I absolutely love my AVC, it's just beautiful, the colours and flashes are gorgeous. Please don't let local jewelers put you off an AVC. They just want you to buy their diamond because for them, it's all about the $$$. My AVC is an N colour (sb fluorescence so faces up white to me) and I basically had a local jeweler laugh in my face and tell me I had been duped for buying an N coloured diamond!! Many local jewelers I have come across are really very parochial in their thinking when it comes to diamonds, and surprisingly, aren't as knowledgeable as I would of thought they'd be. For what it's worth, I also have a modern cushion and absolutely prefer the AVC hands down. Best of luck with it all, follow your heart, listen to the amazing advice here, ignore any ignorant jewelers there and you really can't go wrong. :)

p.s. I think you're right to stick to your guns on an AVC... they're so beautiful, and if you like the chunky flashes of light you will love it so much more than a modern cut.

You've both made me feel a lot better, thank you!

I visited another jeweller yesterday and they were happy, in principle. to make me a setting. Not thrilled, haha, but they'd do it.
So that makes me feel better. I may end up getting the setting made by one of the US jewellers you've all suggested, but it's nice to know there's a local backup option.

I think I am going to work out exactly what I want and finalise my budget etc, then reach out to the people you've all suggested and get some quotes.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doesn’t Jn make AVCs out of CZ? I know the optics aren’t identical, but it could be helpful :read:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn’t Jn make AVCs out of CZ? I know the optics aren’t identical, but it could be helpful :read:
Brilliant suggestion!!
@Whisper89 ^^ you could trial the AVC faceting style.
Perhaps because it wouldn't be profitable to have CZs cut to AV specs, but August Vintage isn't offering CZs. Lab-grown diamonds & moissanite are the two possible alternatives to mined diamonds.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could still be worth shelling out for a moissanite. OP could always sell it to recoup some costs -- there are a few Aussie PSers who might be happy to have it.

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
It’s a pity you haven’t a larger budget as I’m in a australia and have an AVC for sale. They are truly spectacular and very poorly understood by the market here. Best of luck erring what you want

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Could still be worth shelling out for a moissanite. OP could always sell it to recoup some costs -- there are a few Aussie PSers who might be happy to have it.
Great point - the moissanites are not all that cheap, so I wasn't that keen because I knew I wouldn't keep it. But reselling is obviously an option I had not considered.

It’s a pity you haven’t a larger budget as I’m in a australia and have an AVC for sale. They are truly spectacular and very poorly understood by the market here. Best of luck erring what you want
Ooh it is a pity! Out of interest, what are the specs of yours and (if you're willing to share) what are you asking for it?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to hear your a taking time to have a good think about what you really want.

It may be unpopular, given your preference for one and done, but you may consider placing the stone in a simple solitaire. It might free your budget to add a bit more to the stone budget and it also gives you time to really see and get to know the stone and its fit into your lifestyle. What works or not. If you get prongs, do you like them or not. As you have never worn an old-cut, you may or may not find that what you think you want is what you really want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results