shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling Disheartened

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
My oval diamond came in yesterday from 1215 Diamonds, super fast shipping and the packing was really well done. When I saw it in the box, it looked perfect! But when I put it against my hand, the bow tie seemed much more intense especially when light shined on it. I’ve been searching for an oval or pear for about a year and finally felt ready to purchase. Feeling like I should return it is frustrating. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but I don’t want to drop thousands of dollars on something that I already have an issue with. I feel like it’s also hard for me to visualize what my ring will look like and there’s not very much of a wow factor for me when I’m staring at the loose stone.

How “normal” is this bow tie for an oval? I don’t love AV’s oval cut, so I’d like to stick to the traditional cut but will I always be disappointed? I also love pear cuts, but the bow tie is obviously still an issue with that cut. My budget is $10,000 for stone and ring and I’d like a halo with a 1/2 - 3/4 pave band. Eyeclean, I (maybe J) or above. 2ish carats, I’d like to be as close to 10mm x 7mm or larger as possible within my budget. Last night I felt like maybe I should just get a round brilliant, but my heart really wants a pear or oval.

CCCA2728-13A6-4116-9627-D1EF20D4DB82.jpeg
C5AC6BF9-CDE3-4600-AE5E-795BA36E6A77.jpeg
292037C3-9BEE-427B-9A3A-E56FC76BDCB2.jpeg

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Bowties of some sort are normal in ovals. It's the nature of the cut. That's why AV worked hard creating an oval that doesn't suffer the same malady. Truthfully, I don't care for the stone you've been sent. Besides the bowtie.. the rest looks like crushed ice which is concentrating the color. Fancy shapes are always so difficult to judge until you actually see them with your own two eyes.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think that Jon's lab ovals are the Elyque cut. They are traditional cuts. But you might want to double-check with him.
And not to thread jack, but is that the Tiffany vintage 3-stone ring in the photo? I love that ring!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loathe bowties in diamonds. Love them on the right guy but no thank you in diamonds. You can get an oval without one but it's harder. Check out August Vintage and contact Jonathan and ask him what he has in the oval cut without a bowtie. Don't settle. Once you see it you will never unsee it and it will always bother you probably.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Bowties of some sort are normal in ovals. It's the nature of the cut. That's why AV worked hard creating an oval that doesn't suffer the same malady. Truthfully, I don't care for the stone you've been sent. Besides the bowtie.. the rest looks like crushed ice which is concentrating the color. Fancy shapes are always so difficult to judge until you actually see them with your own two eyes.

You’re so right, It is really hard to judge without seeing it in person, I think the crushed ice look makes the cleaner cuts in the middle more obvious, and it’s just not a great look. I don’t even mind a bit of a bow tie, but this seems like too much.

This one was suggested be a BE consultant, but I see some of the same issues and the color is too strong to me.
https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=283320141

I came across this pear, but now I feel like I don’t trust my own eyes.:lol::wall:
https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=290880277

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I don't think that Jon's lab ovals are the Elyque cut. They are traditional cuts. But you might want to double-check with him.
And not to thread jack, but is that the Tiffany vintage 3-stone ring in the photo? I love that ring!!

I didn’t realize that, thank you! I just don’t love the Elyque, it has a very modern look to me, for some reason.

It is! It’s the ring my husband proposed with. Most people think it’s an antique, which makes me love it even more.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I loathe bowties in diamonds. Love them on the right guy but no thank you in diamonds. You can get an oval without one but it's harder. Check out August Vintage and contact Jonathan and ask him what he has in the oval cut without a bowtie. Don't settle. Once you see it you will never unsee it and it will always bother you probably.

That’s definitely my concern, and it’s not as if it’s a couple hundred dollars. I feel like it would be a waste of money and all this time to just settle because I’m impatient and just want a darn ring already!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bowtie will drive you nuts, my husband first gave me an E VVS1 1.01 oval, it was icy and beautiful with the most annoying bowtie that I ended up upgrading in a year.. YMMV

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
The bowtie will drive you nuts, my husband first gave me an E VVS1 1.01 oval, it was icy and beautiful with the most annoying bowtie that I ended up upgrading in a year.. YMMV

That is my concern and after all the time spent looking and talking my husband’s ear off, this really needs to be it.

AV are now doing vintage ovals as well as their Elyque cut ;-)
https://www.instagram.com/p/B17MZNinfRU/

Beautiful! I’ll have to see if he can work within my budget.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I don’t love AV’s oval cut, so I’d like to stick to the traditional cut but will I always be disappointed?
AV has tons of what I assume are traditional oval cut lab diamonds listed on the site. The biggest drawback is that there are no images for the majority of them. However, I am pretty sure that if you see some diamonds listed in the size, specs and price range you are looking for, you can contact him and he will get pictures for you. I can't imagine that he expects people to just order diamonds costing thousands of dollars without having any idea what they look like. There are a few with images already but they are bigger and more expensive than you are looking for. I saw several that were under 2 carat that were 10x7 in the $8000 range. (I don't have any idea how much your halo setting will cost since I'm a simple solitaire girl and have never priced them so maybe that is still too high?) @Rhino has amazing customer service so it might be worth your while to look at his website and contact him.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
There was another PSer who was dissapointed in her oval halo setting from AV (just as a warning) just a week or two ago.

Jon from AV will call Diamonds in for you and help you pick the right one. You just gibe him a budget and he'll call in some and find one without a bow tie.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results