shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling a bit swindled on diamond colour. Help please!

What colour does it look like

• H

• J/K

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
*H/I not H/L. upper and lower case.. lol not HL for sure sorry! hahaa

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, given the GIA and AGS stones I’ve seen, that looks like a GIA H. The color is what it is. This just means you prefer whiter stones. You probably need at least a G.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
in the first and the second picture i can see yellow tint. but in the third one it looks white to me. not sure if it's because of lighting?

You might be extremely color sensitive, and able to see tint at G/H levels. But to go up a few levels to E/F means that you’ll be paying a LOT more or you’ll have to downsize significantly from 2cts.

If your fiancé wants a YG band, why not mount the stone in a WG head (so not just the prongs, but the basket as well in WG) on a YG band? I think you’ll see a massive difference in color that way - diamonds pick up color from their surroundings and that definitely includes the basket they sit in.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks to be H/I color to me. My studs are I color and I'm good with it as against my skintone they look quite white and you can't see them from the sides. My feeling is that in the right type of setting that vanilla color of would be pretty darn gorgeous.

You'll probably see it even in white gold but you should give it a shot as mentioned with an all white gold head

To get what she wants and to make you happy, you're going to have to be E/F color. You might be able to manage with a high G and maybe just possibly a different type of setting altogether but that will take a lot of work on your part. Otherwise, to keep it simple, go with something in the E/F range, even if you have to drop size. You should check with her to see if she's Ok with this though, but if she loves the ring and wants to keep it as is, pay attention to that.

Looks to be H/I color to me. My studs are I color and I'm good with it as against my skintone they look quite white and you can't see them from the sides. My feeling is that in the right type of setting that vanilla color of would be pretty darn gorgeous.

You'll probably see it even in white gold but you should give it a shot as mentioned with an all white gold head

To get what she wants and to make you happy, you're going to have to be E/F color. You might be able to manage with a high G and maybe just possibly a different type of setting altogether but that will take a lot of work on your part. Otherwise, to keep it simple, go with something in the E/F range, even if you have to drop size. You should check with her to see if she's Ok with this though, but if she loves the ring and wants to keep it as is, pay attention to that.

I’m going to jump in here to second the “talk to your fiancée” part, to figure out what she prioritises! Because you mentioned she doesn’t mind a bit of warmth. Personally I’d prefer a 2ct H over a 1ct E/F any day because that size is what I’ll be noticing far more than a slight tint. Setting in WG (basket) should mitigate quite a bit of the yellowness especially in the sides in my opinion (and the contrast with the YG band should make the stone pop even more).

Jaslondon92

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. It does seem like I'm much more colour sensitive than I thought and the stone doesnt inherently look like a J/K.

If I were to go for a F/G, I'd have to sacrifice size massively so think we will stay put. Think as some of you mentioned, the most important thing is that she likes it (which she does!).

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. It does seem like I'm much more colour sensitive than I thought and the stone doesnt inherently look like a J/K.

If I were to go for a F/G, I'd have to sacrifice size massively so think we will stay put. Think as some of you mentioned, the most important thing is that she likes it (which she does!).

It’s beautiful, so enjoy!
If it ever bothers you, I like Allaboards comment to put a white head on the ring.
However, it’s lovely the way it is.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s accurate. Put it upside down on white paper in a white room if possible. Really pretty ring btw.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
I had a GIA H before & the tint looks similar.
FYI, I am very color sensitive, even my F doesn’t look white enough :( Your ring looks beautiful though :)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've owned 9 J's, & 6 of them over 2cts. That stone is nowhere near a J/K. I'd say you are safely solid H, or a low H (** at most **). Enjoy the ring, it's beautiful. :))

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think the grading is correct. It's not D/E/F so with a 2 carat stone, you may well notice that it's not ice white. As someone else said, it's also set in yellow gold. If you moved it over to white metal, you probably wouldn't notice it.

Main thing - your fiancee loves it and as long as it sparkles like a mofo, I wouldn't care if it's a D, H or K :D

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

First post and sorry to make it a negative one. We recently got a ring - GIA VS2, excellent cut, 2 carats. It looks great and sparkles very well.

One concern... it's a H colour set in a yellow gold setting with white gold prongs and from the side/profile it looks pretty yellow... it looks closer to a J/K to me. Fiancee doesn't mind a bit of warmth but I just feel that this looks way more yellow than it should. It does face up very bright.

I'm not sure if we've been given a stone with an 'off' tint or if it's an effect of setting it in yellow gold but it would be really helpful to see some pictures for comparison. Or to hear your thoughts. 20200809_211543.jpg 20200809_211637.jpg 20200809_211725.jpg

Thank you so much in advance.

Looks pretty white to me! A diamond shows most of its warmth from the side view, but I bet you don’t see any from the top view. If you’re seeing warmth it may just be reflection from the gold basket.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the grading is correct. It's not D/E/F so with a 2 carat stone, you may well notice that it's not ice white. As someone else said, it's also set in yellow gold. If you moved it over to white metal, you probably wouldn't notice it.

Main thing - your fiancee loves it and as long as it sparkles like a mofo, I wouldn't care if it's a D, H or K :D

“...sparkles like a mofo...”. :lol: Truth!!!

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I am color sensitive and I have g, I, and j stones as well as some kind stones. Yours looks like a g/h to me.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's good to know. I was just worried that if it's set in yellow gold, it would show some tint regardless of the colour grade. Maybe I'll have to see some G's. Just feel bad making a fuss as the other half doesn't seem to mind at all

In my 45+ years in the trade, I have found that many warmer color diamonds seem much whiter from the top when placed in yellow gold mountings, especially if the prongs also are yellow. Even then, however, when looked at from the side the color is usually visible in a prong setting.

I have clients who love the warmer colors, especially since they come at such a reduced price without any loss of sparkle when properly cut. I also have clients who have excellent color perception who also enjoy the rarity and beauty of the perfect D color.

Many clients, when shown three or more diamonds in a slotted tray, without knowing anything about the color or clarity of the diamonds will choose a diamond in the G-H-I color range as the one they like the best.

Then there are the clients, like me, who absolutely love a well cut diamond in the L-M-N-O-P range. A few years ago, I commissioned a Crafted to Order Diamond that was to finish a Q color. Dang, it finished a P color.

I am probably one of only a handful of people actually disappointed in getting a color grade upgrade.

What is most important, in my opinion, is do YOU dislike the color enough to ask your fiance' to allow you to return it for a higher color diamond? If she vetoes your request, will you take it standing up and allow her love of the diamond you gave her to be the deciding factor? If you like the diamond but have a concern that the diamond has a "lucky" cert, that is another question all together.

I have photographed thousands of diamonds in my career, and I have to say that on my monitor, on some occasions my D's look like G's or my G's look like E's. Color grading by photo simply is not in my tool box. If I could count on your photos being accurate from your end, and also being accurately displayed by my monitor, I could hazard a guess. But I cannot, so I will not. I will tell you that the only way to determine that is to go to an appraiser with a good color master grading set and compare his diamonds to yours and ask his or her opinion.

Oh, before I forget, welcome to Pricescope. You will find this a wonderful and informative place. I hope you enjoy it enough to stick around for a while.

Wink

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
In my 45+ years in the trade, I have found that many warmer color diamonds seem much whiter from the top when placed in yellow gold mountings, especially if the prongs also are yellow. Even then, however, when looked at from the side the color is usually visible in a prong setting.

I have clients who love the warmer colors, especially since they come at such a reduced price without any loss of sparkle when properly cut. I also have clients who have excellent color perception who also enjoy the rarity and beauty of the perfect D color.

Many clients, when shown three or more diamonds in a slotted tray, without knowing anything about the color or clarity of the diamonds will choose a diamond in the G-H-I color range as the one they like the best.

Then there are the clients, like me, who absolutely love a well cut diamond in the L-M-N-O-P range. A few years ago, I commissioned a Crafted to Order Diamond that was to finish a Q color. Dang, it finished a P color.

I am probably one of only a handful of people actually disappointed in getting a color grade upgrade.

What is most important, in my opinion, is do YOU dislike the color enough to ask your fiance' to allow you to return it for a higher color diamond? If she vetoes your request, will you take it standing up and allow her love of the diamond you gave her to be the deciding factor? If you like the diamond but have a concern that the diamond has a "lucky" cert, that is another question all together.

I have photographed thousands of diamonds in my career, and I have to say that on my monitor, on some occasions my D's look like G's or my G's look like E's. Color grading by photo simply is not in my tool box. If I could count on your photos being accurate from your end, and also being accurately displayed by my monitor, I could hazard a guess. But I cannot, so I will not. I will tell you that the only way to determine that is to go to an appraiser with a good color master grading set and compare his diamonds to yours and ask his or her opinion.

Oh, before I forget, welcome to Pricescope. You will find this a wonderful and informative place. I hope you enjoy it enough to stick around for a while.

Wink

Sage advice!

pebbles7

Rough_Rock
Love it, it's a beautiful ring. I barely see a tint in the second picture, but I'm color sensitive. I wouldn't worry about it in a gold setting. If your finance is happy, then that's all that matters ! Congratulations !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results