shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling a bit swindled on diamond colour. Help please!

What colour does it look like

• H

• J/K

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jaslondon92

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

First post and sorry to make it a negative one. We recently got a ring - GIA VS2, excellent cut, 2 carats. It looks great and sparkles very well.

One concern... it's a H colour set in a yellow gold setting with white gold prongs and from the side/profile it looks pretty yellow... it looks closer to a J/K to me. Fiancee doesn't mind a bit of warmth but I just feel that this looks way more yellow than it should. It does face up very bright.

I'm not sure if we've been given a stone with an 'off' tint or if it's an effect of setting it in yellow gold but it would be really helpful to see some pictures for comparison. Or to hear your thoughts. 20200809_211543.jpg 20200809_211637.jpg 20200809_211725.jpg

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It says you are in the trade???

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
It looks gorgeous to me.

I’ve read many posts from people who say they start to see color at H. I see a yellow hue in the second picture but you‘ve really got to look at it in many different lighting environments. Diamonds do pick up the color in their surroundings. What color room are you photographing in? What color does the ring wearer have on? What kind of light bulbs are in the room?

I personally think the yellow gold and slight warmth are perfect with her skin tone but if it bothers you it’s only going to bother you more as time goes by. Perhaps an upgrade in color is necessary.

I just traded up an I and I could see much more tint from the side so I’d have to disagree that it looks like a J/K.

Jaslondon92

Rough_Rock
It says you are in the trade???

Sorry? Not sure what this means
It looks gorgeous to me.

I’ve read many posts from people who say they start to see color at H. I see a yellow hue in the second picture but you‘ve really got to look at it in many different lighting environments. Diamonds do pick up the color in their surroundings. What color room are you photographing in? What color does the ring wearer have on? What kind of light bulbs are in the room?

I personally think the yellow gold and slight warmth are perfect with her skin tone but if it bothers you it’s only going to bother you more as time goes by. Perhaps an upgrade in color is necessary.

I just traded up an I and I could see much more tint from the side so I’d have to disagree that it looks like a J/K.

Thank you, those are all really valid points. It does tend to have more of a hue in darker rooms and I guess unless you're looking at it from this angle it's not noticeable (and I imagine not many people would see it like this!)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to say from photos, the camera sometimes picks up more warmth also. I would trust the GIA color grade but if you’re not happy with it is it possible to go to a G? The few H stones I’ve seen irl have all had a bit of tint.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have an AGS000 branded BGD in an H color so we are talking super ideal cut and I feel it has tint... so I think it’s one’s tolerance. I also have an emerald cut GIA H and I sense the same warmth. Maybe you are color sensitive?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one can tell from photos -- a few degrees of "color-temperature" change in the auto-processing will mask or accentuate anything that subtle.

What does the report say and where is it from? Seller description is almost meaningless, imo.

Jaslondon92

Rough_Rock
No one can tell from photos -- a few degrees of "color-temperature" change in the auto-processing will mask or accentuate anything that subtle.

What does the report say and where is it from? Seller description is almost meaningless, imo.

It says H, GIA but just feels the colour seems lower than that but I'm quite clueless about diamonds truth be told

Jaslondon92

Rough_Rock
Hard to say from photos, the camera sometimes picks up more warmth also. I would trust the GIA color grade but if you’re not happy with it is it possible to go to a G? The few H stones I’ve seen irl have all had a bit of tint.

That's good to know. I was just worried that if it's set in yellow gold, it would show some tint regardless of the colour grade. Maybe I'll have to see some G's. Just feel bad making a fuss as the other half doesn't seem to mind at all

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says H, GIA but just feels the colour seems lower than that but I'm quite clueless about diamonds truth be told

Oops -- missed that -- sorry. Then I'm of no help. Unless you're accustomed to one with some fluorescence and that color-grade.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cant tell anything from pic best bet for peace of mind is an independent appraiser.

If there isnt one listed near you ask on here if anyone knows one near you.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
A yellow gold setting can add a lot of color. I had my earrings reset from yg prongs to a wg bezel and the color went from almost light yellow to just warm with a tint of yellow (they are probably L-M)

Jaslondon92

Rough_Rock
A yellow gold setting can add a lot of color. I had my earrings reset from yg prongs to a wg bezel and the color went from almost light yellow to just warm with a tint of yellow (they are probably L-M)

Thank you. This is really helpful.

She is super set on a yellow gold band so one part of me wonders even if I get a G, whether it will still show a tint so just be happy with what we have.

Jaslondon92

Rough_Rock
Cant tell anything from pic best bet for peace of mind is an independent appraiser.

If there isnt one listed near you ask on here if anyone knows one near you.

Thank you, that will be plan B. We are based in the UK so will need to find a good appraiser if we stick with the stone

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's hard to tell from pictures, but to me, on my monitor, the diamond pictures you posted seems appropriate for the color grade. I suspect that you are just a very color sensitive/intolerant person. The ability to see color varies with individuals and even individuals who can easily see diamond color may or may not be bothered by the diamond color. You are probably both color sensitive (can easily see diamond color) and color intolerant (don't like that you can see the color). You will probably prefer diamonds in the higher color grades (D,E,F) to get what is most pleasing to your eye. But if your fiance doesn't mind or doesn't notice the color, then I wouldn't worry about it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the pics I think it looks like a G/H and the tint you're seeing is a combination of the yellow gold and you being color sensitive. I definitely don't think it's close to a I/J.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like G/H. It also depends on your surrounding (what color your walls are? clothes? phone cover?). Is it "high" H or "low" H? The latter might have more yellow-ish hue since it is closer to an I. GIA is very consistent in grading colors so when they say it is an H, then it is an H. You might be more comfortable with an F because there is not a significant difference between G and H so I would go two grades up... but then the cost will be significant.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Too hard to tell from photos as things like this will change with lighting etc. I agree, best thing to do is to get it appraised to make sure the stone matches the certificate. Otherwise, it could well be that you are colour sensitive and the yellow gold isn’t helping the situation.

Certainly I can see a yellow tint in my H stones even with strong fluoro. Heck, I can even see it with a F/G. it just comes down to what your tolerance for it is. I used to stare at my ering profile and see the tint (GIA F on a MRB) though not face up... Now I happily wear a GIA L (OEC) and see the tint but don’t mind it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's good to know. I was just worried that if it's set in yellow gold, it would show some tint regardless of the colour grade. Maybe I'll have to see some G's. Just feel bad making a fuss as the other half doesn't seem to mind at all

Its a beautuful ring
I don't think im colour senstive
Congratulations on your engagement

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
It definitely looks like a G/H. You can check out my posted threads to see what a high H compared to an I looks like.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *am* color sensitive, and I'm not seeing tint - certainly not something to imply I or J. Have you ever seen an I or J colored stone? I wonder if what you're seeing is very different from what you'd actually see in a J colored diamond.

And just to add - color shows up very differently on a computer screen to what it does in real life. Posting photos here isn't the way to get an accurate assessment. Get an appraisal from an experienced appraiser - only way to do it.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with most of the posters above! I’m very color sensitive (and I also think all the colors are beautiful!)... I would not guess this diamond to be a J. And now we all want to see more shots of it — including “head on.” I love the yellow gold setting! It’s beautiful.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful and I don't see any tint, that's just from the photos.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I voted j/k. But I meant it might be a h/I. not a pure a h, but only from photos. I agree with all others it can be the room/environment. but I'm not an expert. Newbie to the diamond/jewelry world.

Do you have other diamonds? if so and they are whiter the comparison might make this one more yellow.

I wear my more yellowed diamonds on the other hand. and not side by side.

That being said. It's beautiful! And the size is a nice and big on your hand. Would love to see more photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results