shape
carat
color
clarity

For Sale Feelers/advice from OEC fans - 3-4ct OEC pricing? sell myself or send it away?

sho nuff

Rough_Rock

here‘s a similar M VS1, $39k! It’s so lovely, is there no way you can see yourself keeping it? Maybe you’d be comfortable wearing it when you are older?

Oh wow, that’s crazy. Thanks for finding that. I’m surprised they priced it that high. It’s helpful to know that the estimates from jewelers is as off as I expected. What a scam! I hope I can find a direct buyer so we can both save $.

I would keep it if it was under 2.5ct. I can’t pull off such a big stone and I’m boringly practical - my 1.6 ct E-ring sits on my dresser most days. This one shouldn’t sit in a safe for another generation, nor would my sons be interested.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you make it a pendent? I wear a 1.5ct OEC and I can imagine going even bigger. I think most people would assume a 4ct “colorless” stone around someone’s neck was fake.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just realized it came from a pendent.

Could you put it in a pendent that was more to your taste? I hate for you to sell an heirloom!

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
Just realized it came from a pendent.

Could you put it in a pendent that was more to your taste? I hate for you to sell an heirloom!

If it was a bit smaller, I would seriously consider it but I’m just not fancy. I wear a small (.5ct) diamond necklace daily and I turned my mother’s engagement stone (1.3ct) into a pendant for the rare occasion I dress up. I am very lucky to have other pieces that mean more to me, so I’m ok letting this one go. I’ll be super happy if it ends up in a good home.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damn I'm fancy all day everyday and right over the border in CT so you can just send that right over! LOL!

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
My husband is upgrading my diamond and now my entire ring since it won’t fit a larger stone but this will be my 2nd upgrade so this will be the diamond I keep. I receive quite a few compliments on my current ring and people don’t know why I want to get rid of it. If it could fit a larger stone I’d definitely keep it because I love it. I’m definitely with you, try and sell it yourself first but ask Grace or Erica what they would list it at just to get an idea. They both deal with antique stones. I’m still keeping this in my sights!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d recut that and rock it. But I get you would rather have the cash since it doesn’t fit your life anyway. Maybe if you recut it, it may sell faster. Good luck!!

J_502

Rough_Rock
Send it in!

BlingBliss

Rough_Rock
What a wonderful treasure! I've been looking for something like this. I'm currently negotiating on another stone, but I'll keep my eye on this in case it doesn't work out.

I'm sure whomever ends up with it will be delighted to wear it often!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you get a report done on it, if you want to try selling it yourself list it on Loupetroop. Just be aware of scammers ie don't ship anything until it is paid for in full and don't be afraid to use someone like David Atlas as a "go between" if needed.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@arkieb1 makes a great suggestion here and personally I wouldn’t hesitate to send to David Atlas when it comes back from GIA.

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
Hi PS'ers, Thanks again for all of the valuable advice.
I have an update on this stone. It has just returned from GIA and the stats are some good and some meh. I haven't done enough research to understand how some of these details would affect pricing. The hunt is on to find comps online. Any input, resources, or interested buyers greatly appreciated!

IMG_0251.jpg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would consign with Jewels by Grace, also in that carat weight I think you could get 20k if not a tad bit more.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consign with Jewels by Grace, also in that carat weight I think you could get 20k if not a tad bit more.

I second that idea.
You could also try listing on Loupetroop yourself as many PSers frequent there but for a purchase this large they might feel more comfortable with someone trusted as go between like Grace or David.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi PS'ers, Thanks again for all of the valuable advice.
I have an update on this stone. It has just returned from GIA and the stats are some good and some meh. I haven't done enough research to understand how some of these details would affect pricing. The hunt is on to find comps online. Any input, resources, or interested buyers greatly appreciated!

IMG_0251.jpg

I’m currently looking for an OEC. It is such a beautiful stone indeed. Are really selling it for $20K?

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
I’m currently looking for an OEC. It is such a beautiful stone indeed. Are really selling it for $20K?

Hi! Probably in that neighborhood depending on if I have it consigned or sell myself. I haven’t had a chance to reach out to consigners to see what they think they could get for it, and their fee.
I found a diamond broker in my area who takes 10% but it would be sent overseas To wholesalers. I love the idea of it going directly to someone who will wear and enjoy it. Maybe using an appraiser as an intermediary.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
It's over 4 carats, round, and VS1 clarity- I think you can get more than 20K!!! I would be looking to see what something similar is selling for. That could be a bit tricky with the M color, but possible. I just don't want you to get a price that isn't fair to you. Idk what the price is, but do some research so you get at least close to what it's worth! Good luck with your sale!

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
As an example, Old World Diamonds has an OEC that is 4.11, M color, VS1 and it's just under 40K.

Thank you! This is helpful and I appreciate your concern over the fairness. I’m terrible at business so I will likely hand over the process to an expert. Ease of process is definitely worth a few K in consignment fee. Thanks again, it’s so helpful getting input from you all.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! This is helpful and I appreciate your concern over the fairness. I’m terrible at business so I will likely hand over the process to an expert. Ease of process is definitely worth a few K in consignment fee. Thanks again, it’s so helpful getting input from you all.

Reach out to Jewels by Grace (her fee is on her website) here is her link: https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/

You have such a beautiful stone with an even more beautiful history so get the highest possible dollars out of it.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
There might be a few of us right here on PS who would be verrry interested in that stone.
(Ahem.....me......for one ):twisted2:

Definetly agree, unmount, send to GIA. No guessing what you have, you'll know from a trusted source.

I was going to say this lol. Definitely don’t do “I do now I don’t”. If you read recent reviews ppl are NOT getting their money when they sell.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I was going to say this lol. Definitely don’t do “I do now I don’t”. If you read recent reviews ppl are NOT getting their money when they sell.

Whoops this thread is older; I just realized.

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
@sho nuff did you ever sell your stone?

No, I didn't! This project went on the back burner for 2020, but I'm going to get back at it now that life is slightly more stable. Wanna buy it? ;)2

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh man! I just bought a 4.11 M like 2 weeks ago!

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
No, I didn't! This project went on the back burner for 2020, but I'm going to get back at it now that life is slightly more stable. Wanna buy it? ;)2

How much are you selling it for? Did you decide?

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
How much are you selling it for? Did you decide?

I don’t have a specific price range in mind yet. I Just started researching comps online. If I consign it, I would have to pay for shipping, etc., plus ~15% of selling price. So, I would sell it for less if
I was avoiding that hassle and it was going directly to someone who planned to keep it.

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
Oh man! I just bought a 4.11 M like 2 weeks ago!

The diamond you selected (assuming it’s the one in your profile pic) is gorgeous! Bummer timing didn’t work out for my rock but you found a nice one!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
thanks @sho nuff ! yes, my profile pic is my new oec. i'm bummed we couldn't connect too as i'm also in boston. dust for a quick sale!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just in case you don't know (I didn't read every post), I'd be sure to get that diamond insured before sending it anywhere, if it's not already.

Also, since you said you might buy a smaller stone with the proceeds, perhaps you'd want to seriously consider just keeping that one. There is typically a big difference between what you can get for a secondhand diamond as a private seller and the retail cost of a new diamond. So it might make better sense to just have that big beauty re-set into something you'd wear. Good luck with it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results