shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeding Photographer, DJ, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Hello all!

I need help again. My fiance and I looked into booking lion dancers for our reception. The lady in charge said if we expect the dancers to perform around mealtime that we should provide the dancers with something to eat as well. We do expect them (2 dancers, 3 percussionists) for our dinner reception for seventy guests. They will be performing for 15 min.
My caterer is quoting me $75 a head for food and drink. I''ve thought of these options:
1. Have the caterer make sandwiches for the five of them.
2. Have the caterer save some hor deouvres for them.
3. Just don''t feed them.
11.gif

Another thing, once they''re done performing, I don''t really want the dancers to hang around. Is this terrible of me?

Then I wondered about my photographer. I want her to be well fed and in a good mood, so I have no problem seating her with my guests. But what do you all plan to do?

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
is this your caterer''s quote for guests or for vendors? venues/caterers often have a "vendor meal". i''d ask about it.
vendor meals for us were $25 i think. the meals were "chef''s choice" and ended up being similar to our guest meals.
we provided vendor meals for the photographer and coordinator. we only had music for the ceremony so we didn''t feed the musicians.

tanyak

Shiny_Rock
It was in my photog's contract that they get meals similar to what the guests were having. I guess they had gotten stuck with cold sandwiches and pizzas once to often.
1.gif
I asked the coordinator at my wedding site, which also handled the catering. I asked if they needed to be included in my official count, and she told not to worry about it. Then again, I had a buffet, which makes it easier to feed extra folks. I also told my DJ she could eat as well, but she said she always takes care of her own meals. Those were the only vendors we had to worry about.

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
Trelala,

Etiquette aside if they are only performing for 15 mins I don''t honestly see how they can expect to be fed. I also think it''s prettry resonable of you to want them gone once they are finished their performance (the dancers that is). This sounds calous and that''s not how i intend it but they are employees for the evening and not guests at your wedding so really their role is done in my opinion after their dancing is over. I think it''s very resonable to feed your photographer and DJ as they are their for the duration of the reception and will get hungry and them toting around a packed dinner with a PB & J sandwich would be a little wierd.

Just my .02 not based on experience just my opinion
1.gif

Rebecca

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Definatly FEED the photographer and photographer''s assistant, and the Video guy. I have been assisting wedding photographers for years... and we allways get a meal.... its a long ...long hard day for us..... starting before we even get to your cerimony---packing... lugging equipment ...all for your day staying all the way till the end of your reception.... We feel Jipped when we get "Bandwiches" --cold icky sandwiches no one realy eats.
If you Have entre choices for the night... It is fine to give us the cheaper chicken----
emsmile.gif
Or sometimes they give us a sim type meal--still hot tho
emthup.gif

Also--- A big tip for everyone:
emthup.gif

Make sure the photographer
emphoto.gif
gets fed when the guests get fed... bec we have nothing to do when you guys eat---can''t take pics of people eating
emotion-41.gif
. We usually take that oppertunity to interupt everyone at each table to get table shots done. But after that.. we wait till your done eating. The caterers ALLWAYS tell us that we will be fed when the guests are done--(usually the policy)-which doesn''t make sence bec THAT is when everyone starts dancing!
emotion-19.gif
meanwhile we have to gulp down a few bites
emotion-41.gif
and run back out to catch the dancing shots. No time to eat= grumpy workers
face21.gif
hehehe

Just an inside tip for everyone
face22.gif

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 9:38:12 PM
Author: sparkel
Trelala,

Etiquette aside if they are only performing for 15 mins I don''t honestly see how they can expect to be fed. I also think it''s prettry resonable of you to want them gone once they are finished their performance (the dancers that is). This sounds calous and that''s not how i intend it but they are employees for the evening and not guests at your wedding so really their role is done in my opinion after their dancing is over. I think it''s very resonable to feed your photographer and DJ as they are their for the duration of the reception and will get hungry and them toting around a packed dinner with a PB & J sandwich would be a little wierd.

Just my .02 not based on experience just my opinion
1.gif

Rebecca
I agree I mean they are only there for about a half hour total? a big tip would be good but I dont really see why they would be mingling with your guests?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think most vendors will want to stick around longer than they are needed. I am sure once the dances end they will pack their stuff and leave (to me it would be weird if they hung around and danced with people they did not know, in their costumes etc!). I would not provide dinner for them either--maybe just drinks or something.

I think i will provide a full dinner for my photographer, and drinks and substantial snacks for the band who are arriving later.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I organise a lot of events here in London.

Photographers/Band/Toastmaster/Misc all get fed - However most venues/caterers have "staff food" choices at less than 50% of the Dinner cost. For my major events I email the menus over for the staff to choose. some like things like hamburgers and chips, others like proper food. I always check for vegetarian/allergies/kosher etc and then give the caterers a list of what the staff would like a couple of weeks in advance. They also get water/coke/wine/beer available throughout the event.

In my experience, most staff will leave as soon as they are finished. I don''t tip, but if they are good I will hire them again. I would not expect to provide more than soft drinks for staff who were only coming for 15 minutes. Most of mine are there for at least 5 hours.

So far, no complaints and lots of very happy staff and suppliers.

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies! I''ll definitely email my photographer about her dietary needs and feed her HOT food. My fiance and I will prob just give the lion dancers a tip in a red envelope.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
The lion dancers---sandiwches and hors d'oevres maybe. Ah, just read your last reply. A nice tip is probably a better idea.

My father is a musician and I've got a decent amt of experiance with what he gets to eat at gigs...if it isn't at least HOT and dinner-like, it is rather rude. This is when he plays an entire wedding though, not just 15 mins of performance.

So for the photog and if you have a DJ, him as well, I would say feed them something decent and maybe ask them what time works best with their jobs. (during dinner or whatever).

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...my lions asked to be fed red envelopes, not meals.

Edited to add. The envelopes were in addition to the standard fee and were to be given as a donation by the guests in whatever amount they wanted to feed the lions

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 9:14:57 PM
Author: tanyak
It was in my photog''s contract that they get meals similar to what the guests were having. I guess they had gotten stuck with cold sandwiches and pizzas once to often.
1.gif
I asked the coordinator at my wedding site, which also handled the catering. I asked if they needed to be included in my official count, and she told not to worry about it. Then again, I had a buffet, which makes it easier to feed extra folks. I also told my DJ she could eat as well, but she said she always takes care of her own meals. Those were the only vendors we had to worry about.

Same thing with our vendors. They all stated in their contracts if they were getting a meal. That way you will be prepared and you know what to expect. We had to feed our photographer, and the DJ and his assistant. The chocolate fountain lady we did not. She was also nice enough to mention to us that she was not expecting to eat. You can always ask a vendor and they should be able to tell you up front if they don''t already mention it in a contract.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
They''re Chinese right? It''s alright to have a special meal for them that''s not as extensive as what the guests get.

They normally don''t hang around either, but you can have them fed outside or off to the side or something.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to feed them. Our photographer basically demanded the regular meal. So we did feed them and the videographers "our" meal and the club sandwiches for the djs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results