shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback, Please, on Australian Sapphire

hannaht

Rough_Rock
Hello All:

I came across this Australian Sapphire that is certified untreated, but it has been heated. heat doesn't bother me. It weighs 1.39, is eye clean and is 6.5mm. I am thinking of a ring setting (not bezel) Do you think it is too dark? Any other comments? Do you like the cut? I would appreciate your expert guidance on this gemstone.

Blue Sapphire.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it too dark? That's really a matter of taste. Yes, it's too dark for me but it may not be for you. What you need to bear in mind is that nearly all gemstones darken a bit once set. I suspect that this one will have quite a lot of black with some blue flashes once in a ring.

Do I like the cut? Yes. It's unusual and funky but will be a nightmare to set unless you have a bespoke setting - but that'll be fun to design.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's too dark for me as well. I hope you don't put it in a very closed setting, like a bezel or something with a thick or ornate basket. Nice cutting, but for me, dark stones are just not that pleasurable in appearance, no matter how well cut.

You stated it is "certified untreated, but heated." That doesn't make sense. Heating is a form of treatment. Where is the lab report from?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
2 dark

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is dark -- is that the vendor pic? Once it's set it will darken some, maybe more than some depending on the setting. I like the cut, different.

TL's point is the same thing I thought reading your post -- heat is a treatment. Who is it certified by?

hannaht

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses. I have decided that you are all correct -- it is dark and will be too dark when it is set. I will keep looking.
Thanks again --

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds|1308075200|2945767 said:
Is it too dark? That's really a matter of taste. Yes, it's too dark for me but it may not be for you. What you need to bear in mind is that nearly all gemstones darken a bit once set. I suspect that this one will have quite a lot of black with some blue flashes once in a ring.

Do I like the cut? Yes. It's unusual and funky but will be a nightmare to set unless you have a bespoke setting - but that'll be fun to design.

LD, I know very little about setting, but why would you think that would be a nightmare to set? The stone is 12 sided, so I'd think it would go into a standard 4 prong round setting, or even a 6 prong. Am I missing something?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results