shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on two ES/ACA center stones for 3-stone pear

extremepc

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Finally looking to choose the right stone after nailing down the perfect setting (http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/vatche-round-and-pear-3-stone-engagement-ring-2650.htm).

After many visits to stores in-person, my GF has decided she wants around a 1.2ct center stone. She's very thin with slender fingers (size 4). I wanted a bit bigger, but a 1.75ct in a 3-stone with pear sides looked a bit much on her finger.

I think a fair "compromise" is a 1.4-1.5ct center stone. Not a ton of non-virtual inventory on WF for this size range but I've narrowed it down to these two, which both score under 2 on the HCA test (this is good, right?!):

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3634198,3638371

In person I generally cannot see the difference between an E and a G, but I'm not sure if my GF can. I do like the idea of knowing it is an E, but I also don't care ALL that much when the numbers start adding up.

Would greatly appreciate any advice, even if that advise is to get rid of both of those stones!

Much thanks.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The G will be fine - nice and white - and if you look in the description of the Vatche setting, the pears are G/H color, which may be noticeable if the center is too white in comparison. That said, I love me some icy white diamonds. Perhaps ask if Vatche can use higher color pears if you really want the E.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the Vatche Threestone is a bit bulky. Take a look at the james Allen version if you aren't decided on whiteflash. I think they may allow you to upgrade the side stones if you select an e or f center.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Vatche setting is very high quality. I certainly do not think it would not be bulky at all.

I think both stones look great, but I'd have to pick the G because of the price difference. I generally would choose G-H as my preference in ideal cut rounds to balance color and price. The G looks like it would be almost impossible to see a difference from an ACA.

extremepc

Rough_Rock
rocks|1457708858|4003391 said:
I think the Vatche Threestone is a bit bulky. Take a look at the james Allen version if you aren't decided on whiteflash. I think they may allow you to upgrade the side stones if you select an e or f center.

A bit surprised to hear this, as I found the WF to be the only non-bulky 3-stone with side pears that I could find (other than the beautiful Tiffany setting).

What James Allen are you referring to? The only ones I can see have a bunch of extra diamonds on the band, which we aren't looking for.

Thanks!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
A Vatche setting is very high quality. I certainly do not think it would not be bulky at all.

I think both stones look great, but I'd have to pick the G because of the price difference. I generally would choose G-H as my preference in ideal cut rounds to balance color and price. The G looks like it would be almost impossible to see a difference from an ACA.

Agree with this.

I think the G will look very white and the Vatche setting looks beautiful and not bulky to me. Close up photos can make things look less delicate sometimes. This is just me, but I would choose a Vatche setting over a James Allen setting 100% of the time. I think the quality is better and WF has a nice designer setting upgrade policy in the event you ever take advantage of their trade up policy for the center stone. Plus you have the ease of having the stone set by the same vendor which means it's insured during that process.

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/whiteflash-policies/lifetime-upgrade.htm

extremepc

Rough_Rock
Thanks all!

Do the "specs" of the G check out? I believe it scored a 1.4 on the HCA calculator here, but I know that is not a end-all-be-all.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
extremepc|1457728251|4003565 said:
Thanks all!

Do the "specs" of the G check out? I believe it scored a 1.4 on the HCA calculator here, but I know that is not a end-all-be-all.

It looks great!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just took a look at the James Allen site, and strangely enough, I don't see the threestone with the diamond pears. A friend of mine had it until her upgrade about 4 months ago. Really odd.....

extremepc

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone. Leaning towards the 1.457 VS2 G ES option.
Here is the report: http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104085071029-PLDQRH.PDF

And the pictures:

thumbnail__3__0.jpg thumbnail_28.jpg thumbnail__2__0.jpg thumbnail__1__0.jpg

Looking to buy ASAP - would love any last feedback!

The other one I was considering is this guy, which is a 1.411 VS2 E ACA:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3634198.htm

thumbnail__4_.jpg
thumbnail__5_.jpg

Price difference is about $2,700. My budget is flexible in all reality, but really don't want to spend just to spend. I'm about to go to business school with a LOT of loans!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the ES G the less expensive one? It looks beautiful, and G is still very white. I'd save the money and get that one. It's marginally larger diameter would keep me happy. ;-)

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
such a lovely setting! If you scroll down, you can see pics of a recently purchased 1.398 diamond in that setting and the proportions are wonderful! Definitely not bulky imo.

My vote is for the ES G as well!

extremepc

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1458068709|4005718 said:
such a lovely setting! If you scroll down, you can see pics of a recently purchased 1.398 diamond in that setting and the proportions are wonderful! Definitely not bulky imo.

My vote is for the ES G as well!

Thank you so much (to you and the above poster). The G is indeed the cheaper one. The fact that that was asked makes me think the G is the no-brainer!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the G as well. Is it on hold? If not, I would put it on hold asap!!

extremepc

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1458076323|4005799 said:
I vote for the G as well. Is it on hold? If not, I would put it on hold asap!!

Done - on hold now! Should I be worried about this: "Thin to Medium Faceted" girdle? No, right?

Is the Vatche 310 setting as close as one can get to this Tiffany one (http://www.tiffany.com/engagement/rings/round-brilliant-with-pear-shaped-side-stones)? I LOVE how sleek the center stone is relative to the ring - it looks so smooth and the center stone doesn't sit out at all. The Vatche 310 is close as I can get - I hear that Leon Mege does something similar as well, but the only things I can find online from him show a center stone that sticks out quite a bit.

In real life, will the Vatche 310 look as "smooth" as the Tiffany setting (in regards to that center stone sticking out a bit on the Vatche, but not on the Tiffany)?

Thanks!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Vatche setting are generally very high quality so I wouldn't worry about it not being smooth. But I personally like Leon's 3 stone pear setting better because the side view is less "busy". The part of the shank next to the pears isn't split into two, instead it's curved with a "pinch". Victor Canera also makes his 3 stone pear settings similar to Leon's but without the "pinch". You should be able to find pictures of what I'm describing on their websites and compare the side profile to Tiffany's to see what you like best.

Great choice on the G-VS2 btw!

extremepc

Rough_Rock
CareBear|1458119947|4006015 said:
Vatche setting are generally very high quality so I wouldn't worry about it not being smooth. But I personally like Leon's 3 stone pear setting better because the side view is less "busy". The part of the shank next to the pears isn't split into two, instead it's curved with a "pinch". Victor Canera also makes his 3 stone pear settings similar to Leon's but without the "pinch". You should be able to find pictures of what I'm describing on their websites and compare the side profile to Tiffany's to see what you like best.

Do you happen to know which Leon setting you're referring to? There's just so many 3-stone pears and the pictures online make it tough to differentiate (e.g., limited side views).

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
extremepc|1458134920|4006080 said:
CareBear|1458119947|4006015 said:

Do you happen to know which Leon setting you're referring to? There's just so many 3-stone pears and the pictures online make it tough to differentiate (e.g., limited side views).

KristyDarling's 3 stone Leon is a PS favorite. There are is a side profile picture on page 2.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kristydarlings-3-stone-by-leon-mege.44363/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kristydarlings-3-stone-by-leon-mege.44363/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results