shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on Tilt Windowing - 3.86ct Radiant Diamond

axinite7

Rough_Rock
My fiancée and I recently purchased a 3.86ct F VS1 radiant cut diamond (10.87 x 7.80 x 5.05mm, 65% table, 64.7% depth).

The light return and brilliance look beautiful head-on. However, we notice some really visible windowing when tilting the diamond slightly.

Some windowing is expected with radiant cuts, especially larger ones. But we want to know if experts think this degree of windowing seems excessive or normal? It doesn't bother us too much, but we want to minimize it if possible.

We’ve included short video clips showing the windowing at different tilt angles. Does this appear like average tilt windowing for a well-cut 3.86ct radiant? Or could the cut quality be improved?

Any feedback on the light performance is appreciated! Our goal is to determine if this is standard windowing for a radiant, or if we should have cut quality concerns. Thank you!

Photo / Video Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/YBjKrKg

IGI Report: https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=592360350
Vendor-Provided 360: https://view.gem360.in/gem360/1407230707-SR-55/gem360-1407230707-SR-55.html

axinite7

Rough_Rock
Bumping! Would love another opinion on the rock -- particularly around the light performance variability :) thank you!!

Also, I never noticed this before, but it seems that the igi report also lists the crown and pavilion angles!
Crown Height: 13.5% - 46°
Pavilion Depth: 47% - 34°

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing loaded for the first link (for me)...

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Same, just wanted to take a peek and nothing loaded for the video

axinite7

Rough_Rock
Nothing loaded for the first link (for me)...

Same, just wanted to take a peek and nothing loaded for the video

Whoops! Thank you for letting me know!!

Not sure why it's doing that, Let's try this again -- with an embed!
(I tried re-uploading, but running into the same problem - only way I found to avoid the issue with Imgur is to use the "old" layout.. ☹️)

I'm also including the full-res videos and photos in this Drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RwBHgWVk5tG2cjYMF792UGqrQ--C217w?usp=sharing

Attachments

• Tilt 1.jpg
    Tilt 1.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Tilt 2.jpg
    Tilt 2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I can definitely see the windowing. I have an EG radiant (2.02 G) but I have never noticed windowing like that. However, that being said, I am not an expert so wait for them to chime in.

axinite7

Rough_Rock
I can definitely see the windowing. I have an EG radiant (2.02 G) but I have never noticed windowing like that. However, that being said, I am not an expert so wait for them to chime in.
Thank you! appreciate your input!

Our feelings are quite mixed -- every radiant we saw in person at showrooms was stunning, but when I look back at videos we took during that time, I can see that they all had some level of windowing. In person, it may have been masked by the beautiful array of lights they have set up!!

I see that the legendary @Garry H (Cut Nut) commented on this type of windowing in the past, suggesting that it's normal at even some milder angles.

We might have to either accept the windowing phenomenon, look at other fancy shapes, or find a cut in person that can be weeded out to minimize windowing.

We'll find something :) I'm sure!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! appreciate your input!

Our feelings are quite mixed -- every radiant we saw in person at showrooms was stunning, but when I look back at videos we took during that time, I can see that they all had some level of windowing. In person, it may have been masked by the beautiful array of lights they have set up!!

I see that the legendary @Garry H (Cut Nut) commented on this type of windowing in the past, suggesting that it's normal at even some milder angles.

We might have to either accept the windowing phenomenon, look at other fancy shapes, or find a cut in person that can be weeded out to minimize windowing.

We'll find something :) I'm sure!

It does look beautiful otherwise. I just have never seen it in my ring. Maybe once it's set it helps to mask it.

axinite7

Rough_Rock
It does look beautiful otherwise. I just have never seen it in my ring. Maybe once it's set it helps to mask it.

Thank you! Yes, I noticed that when it's up hovering above the finger, the light leakage is masked just a bit! I'm scheduling an appointment with a local jeweler to get some comparisons between the stone we have and their inventory -- they're very proud of what they have! I'm happy to consider their options too! (albeit, a slight price premium)!

If anyone else has any other thoughts, would love to hear them out :)! Learning a lot on this forum!

axinite7

Rough_Rock
Update!
Omg, just came across these two stones... the faceting looks absolutely gorgeous, but the color rating seems... off? both are graded F for color.
However, as for radiants, I think these might offer superior light performance compared to my original.. I'm in the process of getting these on non-360 video to see if they're a better fit.
They're quite a bit smaller, though....

Stone 1: 3.01ct F VS1 | 9.24 X 7.27 X 4.98 MM | 61% Table | 68.5% Depth
https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG566302991/video/500/500

Stone 2: 3.00ct F VS1 | 9.16 X 7.05 X 4.94 MM | 70% Table | 70.1% Depth
https://www.medialink.email/v1/admin/diamonds/68715983/non_orbit

Original stone: 3.86ct F VS1 | 10.87 X 7.80 X 5.05 MM | 65% Table | 64.7% Depth
https://view.gem360.in/gem360/1407230707-SR-55/gem360-1407230707-SR-55.html

Achen1993

Rough_Rock
Damn the stone looks great head on, funny enough I was actually looking at this stone from beginning of August and I kept stalling and ended up missing out on it.

axinite7

Rough_Rock
Damn the stone looks great head on, funny enough I was actually looking at this stone from beginning of August and I kept stalling and ended up missing out on it.
Oh wow!! After ordering the 3.86, we googled the cert # and noticed someone on reddit had also asked about this same stone! Seems to have been a popular one!!!

We are soo indecisive! lool!
We got a second stone (slightly smaller, deeper, less rectangular), but it has just as much windowing, and quite a bit more light bleed. It was half the price compared to the 3.86 (for a 3.3ct), but it's just not great. We're returning the smaller one.

We're still open to swapping out the 3.86, but after seeing an alternate, we're more confident in it now than when we first got it.
A few jewelers also shared positive remarks on the stone! So, overall, still quite happy!

Achen1993

Rough_Rock
Oh wow!! After ordering the 3.86, we googled the cert # and noticed someone on reddit had also asked about this same stone! Seems to have been a popular one!!!

We are soo indecisive! lool!
We got a second stone (slightly smaller, deeper, less rectangular), but it has just as much windowing, and quite a bit more light bleed. It was half the price compared to the 3.86 (for a 3.3ct), but it's just not great. We're returning the smaller one.

We're still open to swapping out the 3.86, but after seeing an alternate, we're more confident in it now than when we first got it.
A few jewelers also shared positive remarks on the stone! So, overall, still quite happy!

That reddit post was actually me LOL, but great snag on that stone. When I saw it I believe it was listed somewhere around $2100 and I couldn't believe that it was listed so low for the size. Reason I took a while to try and decide was I wanted something in the range of 66-68% in depth to help a little with windowing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results