shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on this oval lab diamond please!

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

My partner and I just recently ordered my engagement ring off James Allen and I've been feeling anxious about the diamond we chose despite the rep telling us it would be stunning and eye-clean.

It's a 1.52 CT IGI oval lab diamond E VS2, excellent polish and symmetry. 9.04x6.56x4.13. 1.38 L/W ratio. No fluorescence.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.52-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7564065

IGI report: https://i.imgur.com/QM233Ub_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I was initially worried about the two black carbon spots on the face of the diamond, however at 20x magnification the spots barely measure to anything, so I doubt I will be able to see them in person? What do you think?

I also felt the bowtie was quite minimal relative to the other diamonds in their inventory when I was looking.

Should I be worried about any other inclusions that are shown in the IGI report? Does the stone seem milky or hazy just from the video? I'm hoping it's sparkly.

I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for here! The stone has already been ordered and is in production now - it will be set into their 18k white gold halo setting. I'm not an expert by any means - I just would like some reassurance or otherwise regarding the stone we chose together (with the diamond consultant of course). I know JA has a pretty reasonable refund policy so in the case that the diamond does not turn out as expected I can exchange or return!

Thank you!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
For what it is worth, JA has been nothing short of awesome with their return policy with me. I’ve returned 3 items this month. One E-ring because I wanted a different center stone and 2 wedding bands because they didn’t match the E- ring well enough.

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
Why do people always ask after they've ordered?:P2 When did you order it? What is your budget?

Did you see this one?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.60-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-7152744

Thank you for looking at other options! We ordered it four days ago. I felt great when he ordered it and still do, I guess I'm just getting anxious about it again because it's such a big purchase! We did see that one, our budget was to stay under $10,000 CAD diamond and setting altogether. He wanted to stay in the 1.5 carat range.

For what it is worth, JA has been nothing short of awesome with their return policy with me. I’ve returned 3 items this month. One E-ring because I wanted a different center stone and 2 wedding bands because they didn’t match the E- ring well enough.

That is very reassuring in case we need to return the ring or exchange the center stone. I always hear great things about their customer service.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been searching for THE oval diamond for well over a year now, it’s a tricky shape. I think it looks great and the bow tie seems minimal. Have you looked at other sites that sell lab grown diamonds? I only ask because in my search, James Allen’s prices seemed high and their selection smaller. Brilliant Earth has a large selection and you can view the certificates without contacting them. They also have a lot of GCAL certified stones, which I’ve come to prefer because of their imagery on the certificate. 1215 Diamonds also sells lab created and their prices seem a little bit lower than brilliant earth and James Allen. They don’t have interactive 360 views, but I was able to view videos and GCAL certificates for all of them. Just in case you decide to return this diamond.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been searching for THE oval diamond for well over a year now, it’s a tricky shape. I think it looks great and the bow tie seems minimal. Have you looked at other sites that sell lab grown diamonds? I only ask because in my search, James Allen’s prices seemed high and their selection smaller. Brilliant Earth has a large selection and you can view the certificates without contacting them. They also have a lot of GCAL certified stones, which I’ve come to prefer because of their imagery on the certificate. 1215 Diamonds also sells lab created and their prices seem a little bit lower than brilliant earth and James Allen. They don’t have interactive 360 views, but I was able to view videos and GCAL certificates for all of them. Just in case you decide to return this diamond.

I suggest you stay far far away from BE. This is a long thread but it is worth reading. They are basically bribing somebody with their own refund and won’t issue the refund until the customer agrees to not say anything about the company. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tell-me-how-much-i-overspent.251184/

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I suggest you stay far far away from BE. This is a long thread but it is worth reading. They are basically bribing somebody with their own refund and won’t issue the refund until the customer agrees to not say anything about the company. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tell-me-how-much-i-overspent.251184/

Yeesh! I wasn’t planning on using layaway, but that is some crappy customer service regardless. I’m glad I ended up ordering one from 1215 instead.

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
I'm definitely staying away from BE! With that said, what are your thoughts on the two little carbon spots on the table of the oval?

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I'm definitely staying away from BE! With that said, what are your thoughts on the two little carbon spots on the table of the oval?
I think that given it’s been certified a VS2 you should not see those spots at all unless under a loupe. When does the ring arrive?

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
I think that given it’s been certified a VS2 you should not see those spots at all unless under a loupe. When does the ring arrive?

I hope you are right! The ring is in quality assurance now, but the timeline that has been given is shipping by Oct 7. It is moving along quicker than I anticipated! I have some diamonds I've bookmarked just in case this one doesn't happen to be eye clean ... Which would be unfortunate. Seems like I won't really see it though since it's so small even at 20x magnification!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I hope you are right! The ring is in quality assurance now, but the timeline that has been given is shipping by Oct 7. It is moving along quicker than I anticipated! I have some diamonds I've bookmarked just in case this one doesn't happen to be eye clean ... Which would be unfortunate. Seems like I won't really see it though since it's so small even at 20x magnification!

How exciting! Can’t wait to see and hope you love it. But if you don’t, it’s great you already have back ups.
I don’t think you will be able to see it at all.
Please come back and show us!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Those two tiny spots are never going to be seen. Here’s a little trick... just slide the zoom scale on the image down to 1x (that’s a life sized view).

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
How exciting! Can’t wait to see and hope you love it. But if you don’t, it’s great you already have back ups.
I don’t think you will be able to see it at all.
Please come back and show us!

Thank you!! I definitely will post a picture when it arrives :D My partner is allowing me to see it before hiding it somewhere, just in case!

Those two tiny spots are never going to be seen. Here’s a little trick... just slide the zoom scale on the image down to 1x (that’s a life sized view).

Yes I can't see anything at all at 1x, which is so reassuring! I think these magnification features are amazing but they make you think you really need a stone with no inclusions at all. :eek2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I can't see anything at all at 1x, which is so reassuring! I think these magnification features are amazing but they make you think you really need a stone with no inclusions at all. :eek2:
Don't forget stones are graded at 10x magnification, so an 'internally flawless' stone can still have flaws at 20x magnification or greater ;-)

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
Don't forget stones are graded at 10x magnification, so an 'internally flawless' stone can still have flaws at 20x magnification or greater ;-)

I've definitely learned something new from your post! Thank you for that. I'm so anxious for it to arrive :errrr:

NightOwlInCanada

Rough_Rock
We did see that one, our budget was to stay under $10,000 CAD diamond and setting altogether.

Hi! Are you located in Canada? If so, I hope you won't have to deal with a return. My experience was pretty nightmarish, as the people we dealt with didn't seem to know much about refunds when custom fees are involved. It took forever for us to receive the right information on how to process everything, so it took a long time to get our money back. Maybe my experience isn't the norm, but I won't be ordering from JA again, unless I move to the US ;)2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Are you located in Canada? If so, I hope you won't have to deal with a return. My experience was pretty nightmarish, as the people we dealt with didn't seem to know much about refunds when custom fees are involved. It took forever for us to receive the right information on how to process everything, so it took a long time to get our money back. Maybe my experience isn't the norm, but I won't be ordering from JA again, unless I move to the US ;)2
May I ask if you've documented the process in a thread on here somewhere?

It would be super-useful to have available for other people in your situation! :)

lovemochi

Rough_Rock

Oh no! I would like to know more about your situation if possible as I am located in Canada. I know you have to personally apply for GST/PST/HST tax refunds but that is not JA's responsibility as far as I am aware? I could be wrong.

NightOwlInCanada

Rough_Rock
May I ask if you've documented the process in a thread on here somewhere?

It would be super-useful to have available for other people in your situation! :)

I haven't, no.
But I can answer any questions to the best of my ability =)

NightOwlInCanada

Rough_Rock
Oh no! I would like to know more about your situation if possible as I am located in Canada. I know you have to personally apply for GST/PST/HST tax refunds but that is not JA's responsibility as far as I am aware? I could be wrong.

No, it's not JA's responsibility, you're right, it's the CBSA's.
What happened is that we were asked by CBSA to provide a credit note with the amount spent in order to request our tax refund, and people at JA didn't have a clue on how to process that, saying they never were asked to provide this document. So we had to multiply the contacts with different people... and then they issued us a credit note with the amount hidden! We had to take extra steps to finally get the paper, then send it to the CBSA, and wait, and wait... with no number to call to get info if they had received our documentation. It took about 2 months before we received the check.

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
IMG_20191007_231459.jpg

Well my ring finally arrived! It's extremely beautiful and sparkly. Completely eye clean too! I couldn't find those inclusions no matter how hard I tried. Only thing is I anticipated it to have a longer shape with a LW ratio of 1.38. I think the halo just makes it look a little bit chubbier but it's nothing worth returning over! Nonetheless it's a beautiful ring and I am so excited to wear it for the rest of my life! My partner has hidden it now!

What do you guys think?

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! Well done!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! I'm so pleased for you :))

I hope the question comes soon! :D

NightOwlInCanada

Rough_Rock
IMG_20191007_231459.jpg

Well my ring finally arrived! It's extremely beautiful and sparkly. Completely eye clean too! I couldn't find those inclusions no matter how hard I tried. Only thing is I anticipated it to have a longer shape with a LW ratio of 1.38. I think the halo just makes it look a little bit chubbier but it's nothing worth returning over! Nonetheless it's a beautiful ring and I am so excited to wear it for the rest of my life! My partner has hidden it now!

What do you guys think?
Stunning ring!
I'm happy to hear you won't have to deal with a return.

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone!! ♥️

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! It’s really stunning. I’m so glad you’re pleased. What size ring do you wear? It looks massive! In the best possible way.

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! It’s really stunning. I’m so glad you’re pleased. What size ring do you wear? It looks massive! In the best possible way.

Thank you! I'm a size 5.5, although I can easily go down to 5 when it's cold outside. I'm surprised by how large it looks too! I am very pleased :)

IMG_20191009_104032_156.jpg

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
That’s exactly the same size(s) as me. :lol-2: My finger has skinny days.

Thank you! I'm a size 5.5, although I can easily go down to 5 when it's cold outside. I'm surprised by how large it looks too! I am very pleased :)

IMG_20191009_104032_156.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results