shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on this diamond please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kms

Rough_Rock
I found what I think may be just perfect from Blue Nile. The price is $6,008

Carat weight: 1.15
Cut: Ideal
Color grade: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 61.6%
Table %: 53%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.74x6.80x4.17 mm
Accompanied by: GIA grading report from 1999

And here is the info from the Sarin report:

Carat weight: 1.150
Diameter: 6.75-6.80
Crown Angle: 34.2
Crown Height: 15.8%
Pavilion Angle: 40.5
Pavilion Depth: 42.5%
Culet: 0.3%
Table Size: 52.8%
Total Depth: 61.4%
Girdle thickness 0.8 - 2.3 (medium)
Proportion: 0 Ideal
The Sarin report is dated Jan 1 2000.

The CutAdviser gave me a score of 0.4, and the rep from Blue Nile assured me that the inclusions are not visible to the naked eye. He wrote in his email "The diamond is completely eye clean."

It seems like a strong buy on paper, but what else should I check? Although I've never been to David Atlas' place he is a whopping four blocks from where I live in Philadelphia, less than a five minute walk!

;-)

kms

Rough_Rock
One potential issue, I think, is that the symmetry is only "good."

Thanks!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
If you like the diamond on paper, buy it and take it over to Dave. Blue Nile gives you plenty of time to return. The table on that diamond is pretty small. That may give you a look you love, but you should see it. The grading report is old. That may mean absolutely nothing, but definitely let Dave check out the stone. The "good" for symmetry is probably not a problem.

Let us know how it goes. :)

kms

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply lawmax. I am easily fascinated by shiny objects, and I do prefer sparkle, so I'm hoping I will like it.

I'm excited because I think this is a good price for what should be a visually perfect stone (barring the symmetry of hearts and arrows and such, which means nothing to me).

I had noticed that some people made red colored simulated pictures in the forum. How would I go about getting/making one? What does it really tell me?

Thanks!

kms

Rough_Rock
I apologize for having started a second thread. I hate it when people do this and clutter up message boards. I got a little hyperactive, but that's still no excuse.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Those images are computer generated ideal scope images. Leonid or Garry can help you with this. You can read more about the ideal scope by clicking on "ideal-scope" in the menu bar above. You can read more about the software used to generate these images by clicking on "diamcalc" and then on the leakage of light link in the menu to the left of that page. The ideal scope is based on the FireScope TM.

stonecold

Rough_Rock
HI Garry,

Since shopping for an engagement diamond, I have followed your work with great interest. I noticed on another board that you were able to post a "simulated" image of an ideal scope "readout" of another poster's stone, based on that poster's data.

I found a great stone recently at a reputable jeweler. I looked at dozens of theoretically comparable stones and this one caught my eye every time. The stone's stats are:
-Table %: 59.8
-Depth %: 60.8
-Crown Angle: 34.6
-Pav. Angle: 40.6
Culet: 0.8 %
It is a 1.63 carat, "D" color, SI1 (I cannot detect the inclusions with my naked eye no matter how hard I try, and even after having examined the stone under the loupe for hours). It rated a 1.5 on your HCA, which I am very happy with.

I would appreciate your opinion of this stone, and wonder if you might be able to post an ideal scope simulation? Thanks and thanks esepcially for your helpful and interesting insight which has, thus far, been invaluable to my search for a great stone!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi KMS!
wavey.gif

The only thing I would suggest, other than trotting over to Dave's, is have BN fax/email you a copy of the inclusions plot. SI1's tend to be eye clean, but I'd kinda like to know what to expect prior to purchase myself.

Sounds like you may have found yourself a keeper! Let us know what happens.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hey PQ,

Look at the date of the thread...
2.gif
9.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
LOLOLOL, Giangi!
6.gif

That's like the second or third old thread that has surfaced this week. What's up with that????
confused.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I really don't know... Maybe the poster is too shy to start a new thread?
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results