shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on these two diamonds and which is preferred...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lickwid

Rough_Rock
I am looking to have this baby set in a forever pave style setting. Here are the two I''m possibly looking at. I may go through Blue Nile or else go directly through a local wholesaler since it''ll be more convenient, as long as the price difference locally is not huge. Please comment on what you think of the two.

So here goes from GIA:
ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements: 7.15 - 7.21 x 4.50 mm
Carat Weight: 1.44 carat
Color Grade: E
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Very Good

PROPORTIONS:
Depth: 62.7%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 14.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.6°
Pavilion Depth: 44.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to thick (faceted)
Culet: None

FINISH:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements: 7.17 - 7.24 x 4.43 mm
Carat Weight: 1.41 carat
Color Grade: D
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent

PROPORTIONS:
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 34.0°
Crown Height: 14.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick (faceted 4.0%)
Culet: None

FINISH:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium Blue

That''s it! Hopefully that''s all the correct information I should have listed...
20.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote goes to #2.

#1's pavilion angle is too large for that crown angle.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely lean towards the second diamond. I'd like to see an IS or ASET on it though, as the PA is at a crucial area. Not sure if that's possible though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

Definitely the second, easy winner looking at the proportions. Any chance of an ASET or Idealscope image for this second diamond? With the first the pavilion angle is too steep regardless of the crown angle.

lickwid

Rough_Rock
Wow, you guys are really quick. I''m lost on what you''re asking for. The information is via B-N. So I''m not sure if they provide that.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 10:55:41 AM
Author: lickwid
Wow, you guys are really quick. I'm lost on what you're asking for. The information is via B-N. So I'm not sure if they provide that.
Ok then images won't be a possibility then if they are from BN. The images Ellen and I mentioned are basically reflectors which help to analyze a diamonds light return and to check for leakage ( light escaping the diamond) which can be very important once a pavilion angle hits 41 degrees or higher. So the second diamond is the one I would pick, I wouldn't consider the first due to the very steep pavilion angle.

This tutorial explains more about Idealscope

https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

This page explains about ASET and Idealscope also

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:00:31 AM
Author: Lorelei

Wow, you guys are really quick. I''m lost on what you''re asking for. The information is via B-N. So I''m not sure if they provide that.
Ok then images won''t be a possibility then if they are from BN. The images Ellen and I mentioned are basically reflectors which help to analyze a diamonds light return and to check for leakage ( light escaping the diamond) which can be very important once a pavilion angle hits 41 degrees or higher. So the first diamond is the one I would pick, I wouldn''t consider the second due to the very steep pavilion angle.

http://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

You sure you would pick that one?
41.gif
Ditto Lore on the rest.

I would still think this could be a great stone (#2), but I would strongly recommend having an independant appraiser look it over if you decide to purchase.

lickwid

Rough_Rock
Looks like I won''t be able to provide either images unless I had the necessary tools and the actual diamond in front of me to survey. My local diamond guy is trying to get me to purchase the 1st one, but I have yet to show him the 2nd one.

My question is, is the 1st one still a pretty good diamond overall? Or is it a complete dealbreaker?

Obviously, it would be personal preference on my part, and I''d have to make the final decision, but I''d just want some feedback. The local guys seems to think this 1.44k one is a great deal. The inclusion on it is at the edge of the table are hardly visible.

lickwid

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:08:29 AM
Author: Ellen

Ok then images won''t be a possibility then if they are from BN. The images Ellen and I mentioned are basically reflectors which help to analyze a diamonds light return and to check for leakage ( light escaping the diamond) which can be very important once a pavilion angle hits 41 degrees or higher. So the first diamond is the one I would pick, I wouldn''t consider the second due to the very steep pavilion angle.

41.gif
Ditto Lore on the rest.

I would still think this could be a great stone (#2), but I would strongly recommend having an independant appraiser look it over if you decide to purchase.

I think she mis-typed that. Her first reply said 2nd one. =]

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 11:08:29 AM

41.gif
Ditto Lore on the rest.

AAAGH!! No, I wrote the wrong one, fanks pal!!

I would pick the second diamond!!!~!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 11:10:40 AM
Looks like I won't be able to provide either images unless I had the necessary tools and the actual diamond in front of me to survey. My local diamond guy is trying to get me to purchase the 1st one, but I have yet to show him the 2nd one.

My question is, is the 1st one still a pretty good diamond overall? Or is it a complete dealbreaker?

Obviously, it would be personal preference on my part, and I'd have to make the final decision, but I'd just want some feedback. The local guys seems to think this 1.44k one is a great deal. The inclusion on it is at the edge of the table are hardly visible.
I wouldn't bother with the first one at all, the pavilion angle is too steep period to get the best out of the diamond, even if it had a shallower crown angle - I wouldn't buy it with a pavilion angle like that. Don't settle for a not so good cut, the second diamond is far better than the first and is the one to consider out of the two.

As El mentions you could get an appraiser to look over the second diamond before the sale becomes final.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well, really. What do we think of GIA cut grades? Are they credible?

I am being only slightly facetious, OP. The consensus of the forum will certainly be with the second for the above mentioned reasons.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:15:59 AM

I wouldn''t bother with the first one at all, the pavilion angle is too steep period to get the best out of the diamond, even if it had a shallower crown angle - I wouldn''t buy it with a pavilion angle like that. Don''t settle for a not so good cut, the second diamond is far better than the first and is the one to consider out of the two.

As El mentions you could get an appraiser to look over the second diamond before the sale becomes final.
Ditto, it''s bad all the way around. Too deep, too large of a table for most, terrible C/P angles. Do not buy that, please.
2.gif

lickwid

Rough_Rock
Ok, looks like it''s the 2nd one for now. Unless a better one pops up. Diamond shopping is more stressful than I imagined...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 11:30:49 AM
Ok, looks like it's the 2nd one for now. Unless a better one pops up. Diamond shopping is more stressful than I imagined...
Definitely the second, honestly the first is not worth considering. And you are doing fine, yes there is a lot more to diamond shopping than you realize but Ellen and I have seen many many people through it over the years!
35.gif
Also if you like, if you give us an idea of budget and your requirements we could make some suggestions for you of diamonds which might suit you, if you are open to buying online?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:46:26 AM

Date: 3/31/2009 11:30:49 AM
Ok, looks like it''s the 2nd one for now. Unless a better one pops up. Diamond shopping is more stressful than I imagined...
Definitely the second, honestly the first is not worth considering. And you are doing fine, yes there is a lot more to diamond shopping than you realize but Ellen and I have seen many many people through it over the years!
35.gif
Also if you like, if you give us an idea of budget and your requirements we could make some suggestions for you of diamonds which might suit you, if you are open to buying online?
Ditto. If the price difference is not a lot, it might be worth it to get all the info you really need to know it''s a good stone, and that would cut out the IA!

lickwid

Rough_Rock
Sure, we can try that. Should I send the information via PM, or post it on the forums?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t have PM''s, it would need to be in here.

lickwid

Rough_Rock
I just noticed that.
4.gif

Ok, I''m looking for something in the range of $9k-$11k for the stone by itself, but obviously if it''s lower, then great. Ideal cut is preferred, but if it''s an exception very good cut, then I''d go for that. And the size should be in the range of 1.35-1.5 or so.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
How low in color can you go?

lickwid

Rough_Rock
Preferably E, but if it''s an F or G that''s great everywhere else, I''d be possibly open to that too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
In well cut stones, G is very safe, it will still show up very white. I have one, so I know.
28.gif
And this will allow more size within budget.

Here's a great one, if eyeclean. Don't go by the plots/pics on inclusions, they aren't really representitive. They need to be eyeballed.

Less than budget, but nice size, great stone. Bankwire is discount.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4974/

And just slightly over budget, but awesome size! Just under that 1.5 mark up. Again, if eyeclean.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5737/

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
any color, clarity specs?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 12:04:18 PM
In well cut stones, G is very safe, it will still show up very white. I have one, so I know.
28.gif
And this will allow more size within budget.

Here''s a great one, if eyeclean. Don''t go by the plots/pics on inclusions, they aren''t really representitive. They need to be eyeballed.

Less than budget, but nice size, great stone. Bankwire is discount.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4974/

And just slightly over budget, but awesome size! Just under that 1.5 mark up. Again, if eyeclean.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5737/
Nice ones M''aam!
emsmilep.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fanks!
41.gif

lickwid

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 12:04:21 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
any color, clarity specs?

Color is E preferably, but can be a bit lower if everything else is great. Clarity was at VS2 unless the SI1 is excellent.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen posted thes best of the selections in your criteria, I have nothing else to add.

lickwid

Rough_Rock
Dilemmas. Through BN, I can get 6% cashback on my purchase (through Chase Freedom) + no tax. Which is a good 15% off what I''d pay elsewhere. I''m pulling my hair out just deciding on what to do.

Goodoldgold looks like a great deal too.
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 12:53:49 PM
Dilemmas. Through BN, I can get 6% cashback on my purchase (through Chase Freedom) + no tax. Which is a good 15% off what I''d pay elsewhere. I''m pulling my hair out just deciding on what to do.

Goodoldgold looks like a great deal too.
33.gif
GOG are an excellent vendor, you can get a discount if you pay via bankwire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results