shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on oval cut diamonds

Cois45

Rough_Rock
I'm considering purchasing the diamond in the link below but from reading this site and others I'm now a bit concerned about its fluoresce. Can anyone provide some feeback on how fluorescence affects diamonds in non uv light? And anything else I should look out for in oval diamonds.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06752029

Thanks in advance,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately we can't see anything from your link. So you'll have to give us more information such as what level of fluorescence is it? What is the clarity of the stone? Basically, in non-UV light, you see nothing. I have a diamond that I had for over 25 years and never knew it had medium fluorescence until a jeweler told me. I have had one with strong blue as well. I really love fluorescence.

A bigger question I have for you is did BN provided you with pictures of this stone? Because you cannot choose any fancy shape diamond without photos.

Cois45

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick feedback I did get one picture and it looked good but that doesn't mean much since it's my first time buying one. The flour. Is strong blue image_40.png

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1457671589|4003227 said:
Unfortunately we can't see anything from your link. So you'll have to give us more information such as what level of fluorescence is it? What is the clarity of the stone? Basically, in non-UV light, you see nothing. I have a diamond that I had for over 25 years and never knew it had medium fluorescence until a jeweler told me. I have had one with strong blue as well. I really love fluorescence.

A bigger question I have for you is did BN provided you with pictures of this stone? Because you cannot choose any fancy shape diamond without photos.

Hi diamondseeker2006 :wavey: - for the link, try holding 'command' + click for mac - - - or holding 'windows' key + click for pc

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Cois45|1457669394|4003212 said:
I'm considering purchasing the diamond in the link below but from reading this site and others I'm now a bit concerned about its fluoresce. Can anyone provide some feeback on how fluorescence affects diamonds in non uv light? And anything else I should look out for in oval diamonds.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06752029

Thanks in advance,

Hey mate - When exposed to invisible ultraviolet (UV) radiation (like you would find in a night club), sub microscopic structures will cause some diamonds to emit visible light which is called fluorescence. In most cases, fluorescence is caused by the presence of nitrogen as a trace element in the diamonds crystal lattice structure...blah...blah...blahhhh... :roll:
Basically, fluorescence is not necessarily a positive or a negative. Fluorescence does not affect the grade of the diamond, and is not included among any of the 4Cs. Instead, it is mentioned as an identifying characteristic, rather than a grading component, on diamond certificates provided by grading laboratories.
While there are some rules-of-thumb when assessing fluorescence, it simply depends on the individual stone. A diamond where the fluorescence makes the diamond look 'milky', 'oily' or 'cloudy' in normal lighting is definitely a negative (usually only found in strong/very strong...but even then only a very small percentage). Chances are that the fluoro in any stone you're looking at is fine – you might just want to get the vendor to confirm this.
Also, because of normal discounting, fluorescence might also be an excellent way to get a beautiful diamond that might normally be a little bit out of your price range without it. So if you find a stone with strong or very strong fluoro and there is no effect outside of direct UV, you might want to consider it as your cost price can come way down.
Also, like DS2006 said, many people happily own diamonds for their entire lifetimes without ever being aware of the presence or absence of fluorescence in their stones.

The joy of fancy shape diamonds like ovals, is that it really does come down to individual tastes and what you find appealing aesthetically. Because there are not the same rigid cut criteria like there are with round brilliants, these shapes allow a little bit more variety (long & thin / short and wide / etc). Having said that, I’ve carried a wide variety of shapes and sizes in oval cuts, but if you want a bit of a trade perspective, here is what I tend to look for when buying ovals for stock rather than for specific customer requirements.

Ratio (you can work this out by L/W):
Ratio is a very personal thing, but it can affect spread. With fancies, it's not just carat weight you compare; it's spread (dimensions). A 2.00ct oval can face up larger than a 2.25ct depending on it's dimensions. So pay attention to spread over weight. 1.3-1.4:1 is the ratio that I have a personal preference for, so I try to buy these when I can.
Depth - I like to stick close to 60% – people tend to have their own preferences on whether they like a big or small table. I’m not overly fussed about this as long as the stone looks balanced.
Clarity - because it is a brilliant cut stone, you can get away with a lower clarity - so unless you're set on a VVS grade, a nice eye clean VS or SI1 is a good choice, and can either save you a few bucks or you can improve one of the other Cs.
As with any stone, avoid very thin girdles. Also try to stick with girdles that don't have too much variation (so not Thin to Extremely Thick).
Hope this helps

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ADN|1457674009|4003244 said:
diamondseeker2006|1457671589|4003227 said:

Hi diamondseeker2006 :wavey: - for the link, try holding 'command' + click for mac - - - or holding 'windows' key + click for pc

I thought it was the Control Key and click for PC. I see it now, though. It says diamond not available at the top but if I scroll down, I can see the information. I just didn't scroll down below the stone listings! Thanks!

How about posting the picture for us and maybe we can tell you if it is a good one? If not, you will find this search far easier if you go to sites with photos of the stones such as James Allen or Enchanted Diamonds.

Cois45

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback/input. Here's the picture of the stone. image_41.png e image_41.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Promising. Can they provide and ASET image?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results