shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on ideal round... Idealscope/ASET images

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker, first time poster here… this site has been a terrific resource for researching diamonds- so thank you to everyone for their expertise!

Based on what I have read here, I feel like I have a reasonable idea of what I am looking for. I think I am getting pretty close to pulling the trigger… hoping to get some feedback on one stone in particular. Comments welcome!

Specs attached, I am fairly comfortable on these (only pavilion angle is a little off from my target of 40.6-41). Idealscope and ASET images attached as well- these I am less familiar with. How do they look?

Budget is $6k… how am I doing here? This is for a single stone engagement ring, btw.

Thanks in advance!

D_

Shiny_Rock
The IS & ASET images are showing leakage under the table - most likely due to steeper pavilion.
It can still be a pretty stone, but with so many of them around you may want to keep looking.
(and probably expand the selection by lowering the clarity grade slightly to VS2 - you'd still be pretty safe, unless there is a strong preference for VS1 and up for any particular reason).

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
Great advice, thank you- I will do just that.

Any need to get eye clean verification at Vs2 levels? Or is that only a concern with SI stones?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's generally more of a concern with SI stones. You should be absolutely fine with a VS2 diamond, but if you want extra peace of mind, simply ask.

41.4 may seem like it's only off by a little (from 41), but it's actually a lot. You also have to keep in mind that GIA rounds, so some of those pavilion angles could be more than 41.4. Yikes!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, there is leakage and you usually just can't go above 41.0 on the pav angle with a 35 crown angle.

Stick to 34-35.0 crown angle and 40.6-41.0 on the pavilion angle and you have a better chance of getting a good crown angle.

As far as clarity goes, VS2 is usually safe, but I have actually had a VS2 superideal cut earring stone once that had a visible carbon spot from the side. So yes, you need to ask with VS2. I really love VS1 for a ring stone, myself.

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the great feedback! The search continues. I will update this post when I have another candidate for consideration :)

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
I am comparing non-wire transfer prices but still willing to stretch the budget that far. Size and numbers look great but I was hoping to do a little better than a K VS2 for that price. Are my expectations unrealistic?

Having trouble getting timely responses from ID Jewelry... I am going to expand my search options.

Thanks again!

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
Finally, another worthy candidate. This one seems to check all the boxes- 1.22 I VS1 - and all specs are within the recommended ranges. Hoping to get some trained eyes on these images to (hopefully) confirm it looks as good as it does on paper... Thanks in advance!!!

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
Thanks... The one I posted images of earlier today has better specs on paper and is similarly priced. Will keep it in mind if feedback is not positive on the images! It looks good to me but my eye is as untrained as they come. :)

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
A few looks but no comments... Not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one :). Hoping to get this process moving so if the experts could spare a few minutes, I sure would appreciate the feedback :)

Cert attached below:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks good to me!

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
Thanks tyty. I think I am going to pull the trigger unless someone sees something concerning!

JNEbrt

Rough_Rock
Just got a few updated/higher quality images in. Planning to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results