shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on fluorescence

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC blue-looking colourless diamonds were much prized before fluor got a (undeserved) bad rap!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Rockdiamond - thank you for that - clearly, I was unaware ... I guess I’m still not clear on how flourescence can “improve” a D-E-F colour diamond ... can you please elaborate? You have mentioned that “sometimes they can actually look Blue,” but how is that a good thing?

Please know that am genuinely curious and not trying to argue anything here

Not only is your question not argumentative- I totally appreciate you asking!!
Have you ever heard the term “Blue White”
This term was common years back- now the FTC doesn’t allow its use ( I believe)...it''s buried somewhere in here
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/do...atement_of_basis_and_purpose_final_8-8-18.pdf

Back to the point- in fact, blue is among the rarest and most valuable of diamond colors....so if a diamond looks blue, it's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, quite the opposite.

IIRC blue-looking colourless diamonds were much prized before fluor got a (undeserved) bad rap!

Bingo!!
Back in the days before GIA reports became the norm, a small percentage of super high white diamonds that were Med or Strong Blue fetched a premium.
As I've mentioned, at Harry Winston they were called "Premier"
To the point about how and when fluorescence is activated- you could spot a Premier stone right away- of course, we were looking in an environment that had lighting bright enough to grade diamonds. But it was not a specifically UV rich environment.
I still can spot such stones - as well as stones who's performance is hindered by fluorescence. I don;t need to put them in the sun or under a special light.
That's why MB/SB stones get a bad rap- some of them are just milky looking. Again, it's not necessary to "provoke" the milkiness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results