shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on David Klass Engagement Ring Design

hoppy1214

Rough_Rock
Greetings PS,

My fiance and I are custom designing my engagement ring. We had the most amazing montana sapphire custom cut into a hexagon. We are now doing the final review of my dream ring with David Klass. Neither of us has any experience with custom jewelry so I'd appreciate any feedback before we sign off on the final design. Center stone is a 2.8 carat sapphire with 4 small diamonds (from my mom's wedding ring) set along the band. Ring is all in rose gold. Thanks for your help!

20200522_102107.jpg 20200522_102017.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat is right.
Without knowing what you are trying to achieve, any suggestions we can give is kinda based on our tastes not yours?
For example - the side view of the halo the height is 2mm. Especially if its not getting any additional decoration, it and the side view width of the shoulders are both wider than the side view with of the shank at the bottom.
To me it’s top heavy, and angular. The connection on the side view of the shoulder design is a bit abrupt top and bottom. And it’s very straight. But your stone is angular. So it’s not like these decisions are just out of nowhere though?
So it goes back to ‘taste’ and blind suggestions may not do you and your ring justice.

Congratulations on your engagement! Your Montana is beautiful, and I love the sentiment of your mothers stones incorporated into your ring.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher said a lot of my thoughts. That bezel just feels heavy and clunky. Cads always are clunkier, but are you looking for more delicate or a bolder chunkier look?

The inspiration photo is a slimmer bezel.

Do you like the thickness on it? Can they send you a wax/plastic mold of it?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3CE8705B-0348-408A-8893-EFBC633A0810.jpeg

Just a shot in the dark.
Slimming the shoulder element thickness and also slimming the bezel thickness (which by default I widened the basket) totally changes the look.
Neither is right or wrong, just depends on what look you like?

hoppy1214

Rough_Rock
3CE8705B-0348-408A-8893-EFBC633A0810.jpeg

Just a shot in the dark.
Slimming the shoulder element thickness and also slimming the bezel thickness (which by default I widened the basket) totally changes the look.
Neither is right or wrong, just depends on what look you like?

Wow, I like this a lot!! Thank you so much. I definitely want a more delicate look and I didnt even know it! Any other suggestions??

hoppy1214

Rough_Rock
I definitely want a more delicate look. I'm going to ask David to slim it down like Rfisher's example. I will also ask about a wax model. Any other suggestions? Thank you so much for your help :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely want a more delicate look. I'm going to ask David to slim it down like Rfisher's example. I will also ask about a wax model. Any other suggestions? Thank you so much for your help :)

I think a wax model is worth doing for such an important ring. You want to make sure you love it! I really like the @Rfisher Suggestions. They are awesome ! Congrats on your engagement!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd put focus on the basket for some obvious to me reasons.

From a cleaning standpoint, I'd probably pay more attention to the basket as I feel its closed off too much If you happen to like that look, keep it, just know come cleaning time it can end up being a pain in the rear. Additionally, it could darken the stone a bit so be aware of that too.

I think the bottom is called a tulip or flower basket (help me here I'm guessing...lol) but maybe too many petals there. is the basket meant to be plain?

Attached is a more open basket type ring

prettybasket.jpg

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I'm excited to see the finished ring, love the sapphire and pairing with rose gold. I agree with the others in making the ring a bit more delicate and "lighter" feeling.

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
You mentioned that this ring is all in rose gold? But the CAD is showing two tone? What metal is the basket made of?

Congratulations on your engagement.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DKJ often (generally?) shows their CADs in multiple metals. The finished ring, tho, will be in the metal of the customer's choice.

OP, my concern is that this color center stone, surrounded in rose gold in a halo, is going to make your center stone look murky. Not in all lights, of course, but you take a stone that - to my eye - has a lot of grey in its undertone, and surround it with a brownish hue, and you'll get a finished product that shows up dark or dull in a lot of angles.

I love bezels - and DKJ is currently making me a 3-stone bezel. But my concern - and I know this wasn't your query so I'm just throwing this out there while you're still in the pre-production stage - is that it will brown-out more than will make you happy.

I like the general design and I think the basket is lovely. So this is just a heads-up.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'd put focus on the basket for some obvious to me reasons.

From a cleaning standpoint, I'd probably pay more attention to the basket as I feel its closed off too much If you happen to like that look, keep it, just know come cleaning time it can end up being a pain in the rear. Additionally, it could darken the stone a bit so be aware of that too.

I think the bottom is called a tulip or flower basket (help me here I'm guessing...lol) but maybe too many petals there. is the basket meant to be plain?

Attached is a more open basket type ring

prettybasket.jpg

As someone who went with a basket style that is virtually identical to your current CAD - I wanted to "thumbs up" this suggestion - I found my inability to clean my stone impossible to deal with, in fact I don't feel like I can get it clean enough without an ultrasonic cleaner....AND the really tight intricate basket catches water!!! such a weird and unexpected side effect.... I literally have to BLOW water out of my ring every time I wash my hands (or it slowly seeps out between my fingers which I find repulsive)...blowing water out of my ring has gotten me plenty of strange looks in public restrooms and was pretty darn annoying

I am now re-setting my ring after only months of having it. I had a few other gripes with my setting so take my feedback with a grain of salt...but relieved to have just dropped it off at the jewelers - I am wearing a temp band without a stone at all and literally blew on my finger after I washed my hands and had a chuckle to myself because it has become a terrible habit I now have to break!

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Similar styled baskets, I'd look through some inspo here - because many still have the petal design, but are more open - my ring is 2nd to last in the thread :roll:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dahlia-friends-thread-please-add-yours.239995/

TBH, I also think there is so much lovely visual interest with the hexagonal shape, there is something about the flowy organic shaped basket that seems to not feel quite right to me visually. Obviously I love the style generally, bc it is what I picked for own e-ring....so this is my personal preference, but I'd find myself wanting something a bit more angular, or minimal...struggling to find the best examples, esp bezel...almost playing up the art deco / architectural vibe of a unique, hex shaped stone!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 5.46.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 5.46.51 PM.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ah - here we go, this DBL ring is closest to what I am talking about - if you like your current style, these petals are more open, would be easier to clean/let more light in, and the slightly more "angular" shape of the petals I think would compliment....

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/142ct-o-p-omb-diamond-ring-r5165

Heck, I might even go so far as to play up the hex shape with diamonds on the shoulders and go for a honeycomb shape - but that's just me and I am probably getting carried away with suggestions! :roll2: I mean NO offense!

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-m...on-engagement-diamond-ring-printable-3d-model

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 5.55.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 5.55.31 PM.png
    678.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 6.02.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 6.02.44 PM.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning stone!!!
You have got Some great suggestions already. Personally I would orientate the hex with the pointy sides EW instead of NS. I think it will soften the look.
And as mentioned: being able to clean your stone easily will be very important

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I would put some consideration into what wedding band style you'd like and how it would sit against the current setting. I realize that's a hard ask when you haven't finished designing the e-ring, but so many people are very particular about how flush their rings sit against each other and if the wedding ring can be worn independently. I think you need to increase the height of the bridge so that a wedding band would sit better against the engagement ring and not rub up against the basket.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to echo @mrs-b here. I know it wasn't part of the original question, but you might want to consider doing the basket in white gold and the band and rose if you really like rose.

I think she hit the nail on the head as to a concern about color and metal interaction.

I also have a floral basket on one of my rings similar to the one you are having made, and it has a lot less petals. My petals are bigger and I think it's fine to keep it clean, but if you're using an ultrasound cleaner I think that your design is fine.

hoppy1214

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you so much for all the feedback. You've given me a lot of great ideas to consider. I especially like some of the baskets @annagene12 shared. Thanks again for all the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results