shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on another blue sapphire

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very dark and will almost certainly darken a few shades further when set. Do you like dark stones? It's also very deep and so although it's a nice carat weight, it'll face up smaller due to the depth. Having said that, if you like dark sapphires and don't mind it looking smaller than a 1.6ct then go for it. It's a great price.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for being first to revert. He said it is medium dark cornflower not too dark, that's the reason I went ahead. It's okay, not bearing too high hopes. I in fact like darker stone, just not black will be fine. Is there a window to it?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only gem that I don't trust Tan's eye with is, unfortunately, sapphires :(( He sold me a sapphire that I suspected would be a tiny bit darker than I wanted and he said he wasn't, didn't have any grey and was a lovely cornflower blue. When it arrived it was DARK and nowhere near cornflower. Your sapphire most definitely isn't cornflower and it will be dark. You may find that it looks darker in natural lighting but wait till it arrives and then test drive it (holding it between two closed fingers) so you get to see how it would look set and in all lights. I suspect it may black out BUT it's so difficult to predict with any certainty. The one great thing is that Tan has a superb returns policy so don't worry if you need to send it back. It's definitely worth a look if it appeals to you.

In terms of a window? No I don't think it has. It has a slight tilt window that you can see in the video but as the video isn't taken straight on you can't tell with any surety. My feeling from the cut and general saturation etc., is that if it does have one it'll be minimal and hidden by a good setting.

What the still pictures show is a slightly off-centre culet. However, this may well be a trick of the angle because you don't notice it in the video at all.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
I have waited for 4 days or more and I have not got a response from Thailand.. Will there be a problem? The last time was a speedy transaction:( what are the things to look out for when the sapphire arrives?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just keep on e-mailing them. I think that people working for him do not master English that well. With the amount of purchases and orders, it may be difficult. I have noticed that it takes longer for the packages to arrive. If you poke them regularly, they will answer.

I love blue sapphires and the price is great. I'd buy it for the price but there is something in the color that I do not like. Either it is slightly greyish or not saturated... Maybe it will be cornflower blue. Anyhow, great find.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Look like there is a lot more to learn ..Need to look out for grey, color zoning..what else am I missing?? This is interesting!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treatments - if buying coloured gemstones this is THE most important factor to be aware of. In Sapphires you typically get 3 types, natural, heat only or treated (usually with BE diffusion / lattice diffusion). Natural or heated only and the preferred and most valuable. Treated are the ones you find littering Ebay and elsewhere. However, the seller you've chosen discloses treatments so actually you're fine with him!

The other thing to be aware of is Cut - what makes a good one/a bad one and how that affects the overall look of the gem e.g. can cause a window (centre portion you can see through) or extinction (where a gem blacks out in parts) or a myriad of other issues.

If you do a search using just those words you should find some interesting information!

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Well well... This is the 5th day and there is no news from Thailand despite my 6th reminder! I am wondering if this deal is possible..:(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results