shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback Desired - AVC with YG Mens Setting

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
Hello Again PSers,

I'd would appreciate your feedback and opinion on this AVC (1.58 Carat G-I1) I recently purchased to be set into a 18k Yellow Gold setting like the one below. Would the shape of the stone fit the lines and style of the setting?

photo_1.58AVC_crop.jpg

Lang1.jpg

Lang2.jpg

Lang3.jpg

Thanks!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would look great. I also think the shape of the AVC suits the setting better than the stone shape shown. I love that AVC by the way - super choice. Please come back with pics.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
love it!

Joe didn't you just purchase a D I1 round? (or was that someone else?) if it was you, you seem to have a knack for getting these beautiful I1s!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowee zowee is all I can say! I am so jealous of your collection.

I think it would look great in that ring. The only thing is that the proportions might change because your center stone is so large. A 1.58ct AVC is, what... about 6.75mm? Proportionally, it looks like that would mean about 3mm of metal on either side of the stone, to keep it identical, making it a 13mm wide ring :o . So that might not work for your hand.

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback!

SLG47: I did just purchase a 0.41 D I1 and set it into a titanium setting. That ring is a RHR / back up for my wedding ring. This new ring will be another RHR. I've been waiting for another I1 AVC in the 1.5 - 2.0 carat size and when this came up, I bought it right away. Great I1, I can't see the inclusion with my eyes. Gotta love I1s for their value :)

Dreamer D: Thanks for the input on the size of the ring. The diamond is 6.80 X 6.86mm. You're right, this will be a sizable ring, which is what I'm looking for, but may need to be modified to be around 11 - 12mm. I don't think the setting should be too small in relation to the diamond. I'm thinking the ring width will taper from 12mm to 5.5 or 6 mm and will weight around 20 - 25 grams, I'm a size 9.

I've worked with WF on my custom wedding ring and am leaning on having them make this. Anyone have experience with GOG and custom work?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say you are one lucky guy to afford such beauties!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
JoeNewbie11|1304533252|2912197 said:
Thanks for the feedback!

SLG47: I did just purchase a 0.41 D I1 and set it into a titanium setting. That ring is a RHR / back up for my wedding ring. This new ring will be another RHR. I've been waiting for another I1 AVC in the 1.5 - 2.0 carat size and when this came up, I bought it right away. Great I1, I can't see the inclusion with my eyes. Gotta love I1s for their value :)

Dreamer D: Thanks for the input on the size of the ring. The diamond is 6.80 X 6.86mm. You're right, this will be a sizable ring, which is what I'm looking for, but may need to be modified to be around 11 - 12mm. I don't think the setting should be too small in relation to the diamond. I'm thinking the ring width will taper from 12mm to 5.5 or 6 mm and will weight around 20 - 25 grams, I'm a size 9.

I've worked with WF on my custom wedding ring and am leaning on having them make this. Anyone have experience with GOG and custom work?

I have seen some good custome work from GOG here. I think they have a very good bench. You could ask to see photos from them of similar styles.

I think the taper you suggest will work well. Have you tried a ring with that width on the top before to make sure it is not unwieldy? My husband is a size 10 and wore a class ring that was probably similar proportions and it looked good/was comfortable.

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dreamer D: I do have a class ring from high school, which is pretty large. It measures 19mm and tapers to 7mm, that ring is too large to wear on a daily basis. I'm hoping a 12mm to 6mm taper will be comfortable to wear all the time. My wedding band is 8.5mm wide and I wear that all the time.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on another beautiful stone and what will be, another gorgeous hunky ring!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice collection Joe!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joe, what beautiful stones.
I'm jealous.

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm, I'm having second thoughts about bezel setting this stone in YG. When I place some yellow gold behind the stone, I can see yellow through the diamond. I'm also concern that the stone won't perform as well in a bezel setting, it seems light entering the diamond from the side would help in this cut.

Any thoughts on this setting below. I like the boldness of it and that it shows the stone more. I don't want to have a tension setting for this stone, I don't think it fits style-wise. Instead of 18k YG, I'd probably do 950 Palladium (Platinum would be out-of-budget).

SunJewelry1_CristosMansRing.jpg

SunJewelry2.jpg

What do you think? :?: :?:

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
Bump. Anyone hate, love, or don't care for the setting below? It's quite different than the one I originally posted, but I think it'll show the stone off more. I'd have it made in Palladium most likely.

SunJewelry2.jpg

SunJewelry1_CristosMansRing.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't really like that second setting at all!

I think a tension setting from Bruse Boone would be AWESOME with this stone. It is the same shape as Kenny's asschers/octavia, and those look great in tension settings. I agree you should see more of the AVC, including the profile. So tension gets my vote!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I think both of those are really sharp looking settings, but the first setting is the one that really caught my eye. I like its sleeker look.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1304698127|2913978 said:
I don't really like that second setting at all!

I think a tension setting from Bruse Boone would be AWESOME with this stone. It is the same shape as Kenny's asschers/octavia, and those look great in tension settings. I agree you should see more of the AVC, including the profile. So tension gets my vote!
Oooh, I like this idea!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results