shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback/Advice Needed on Price of A Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Hi experts, need your help again to decide if I should move forward with a semi-mounting. It is a classic three-stone setting for my sapphire - two half-moon diamonds for an oval center stone. 18K white gold, basket setting (don''t remember if it is trellis style), double claws for center stone. Two half moon diamonds total 1.17ct, I/J color, VS clarity. Price quote including setting the center stone - $3,000

Sorry I don''t have a picture of it. It is a store in the Diamond District and I''ve bought items from them before and very happy with it. I have seen the setting in person and the two half moon diamonds are cut brilliantly, very sparkly. The center stone size fits my sapphire precisely like a custom order. (how odd is that since my sapphire is not calibrated! - and I''m a believer in signs)
21.gif

I am hesitating because:
1) the diamonds are yellower than I wanted. But they will be against a blue stone not a white one.
2) no idea about the price

By the way, this WAS the setting that completely changed my setting plan from a split shank halo to a 3-stone classic.
10.gif

yingh, it sounds reasonable to me, but only because the setting I looked at today and want is $5,000.
39.gif

I think the diamonds would be fine. They are still near colorless. My earrings are J and it''s barely discernable next to my F.

It sounds a little expensive for 18kt white gold. The diamonds would be about $1000 each for 0.6 ct I/VS2 which leaves the setting at $1000. It would be what I expect for a platinum setting but not white gold. To set the center stone isn't much - it can be anywhere from $50 to $100.

Yingh... my nephew had a custom 3 stone setting done for his .70 mq with pear shaped sidestones for around $2,600 in platinum. Leon mostly deals in plat. I realize your stone may be bigger and that would require bigger sidestones, but you may want to check into it with him. He actually showed my nephew 3 different sets of F, VS sidestones and worked within my nephew''s budget to do so. You may be pleasantly surprised. Now if you went with a halo-split shank setting custom made to fit your stone.............that would be more expensive. I wanted Leon to do that with my ring (in my avatar), but I know that the more diamond melee/labor that is involved, his more inticate settings would have cost me about $3,000 more than what I had another vendor do it. My setting is 18kwg with french pave set diamonds.
6.gif

Thanks everyone for your advice! I will definitely check with Leon. I thought that his work was out of my budget, but now it appears to be a possibility!
30.gif

My guess that a lot of Leon''s cost is in the labor intensive work of setting the melees in pave style. 3 or 5 stone rings are not as expensive, if the sidestones aren''t very large.

Leon''s three stone setting should be around $1900 plus side stones.

Date: 4/11/2009 3:08:35 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Leon''s three stone setting should be around $1900 plus side stones.

The last I was told, it was $2,000.....but yes, that does not include sidestones. Yingh, I know for a fact he can work in your budget. You may have to go with smaller sidestones, but he can usually get some decent sized/shaped sidestones to match up to your center stone and he will do his best to work within your budget. This gives me hope for a future purchase...or I may have him reset my cushion diamond ring. Oh, and I was told by my jeweler, that the cost of platinum right now is not that far off from gold prices per ounce. I will have to check online to see............ but that may be in your(our) favor too!!
36.gif

Oooooooh loving the Leon idea! It would be amazing if he could set your sapphire.

If the cost is close, my choice would be a Leon ring too. So elegant and those killer claw prongs.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics