shape
carat
color
clarity

February 2019 Colored Stone Purchases

voce

Ideal_Rock
Amid the UPS delivery fiasco, I was too weak to resist a spinel. Perhaps slightly windowed, but this new stone would round out my collection of lavender spinels (Burma, Vietnam, and now Tanzania).
il_794xN.1867604582_okjm.jpg

il_794xN.1915122713_jjjs.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg, Voce, what a luscious spinel!!!

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
That is gorgeous!!! I have an incredible weakness for lavender spinel... :kiss2: you have the most beautiful ones... you should take a group photo to share. :mrgreen2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Omg, Voce, what a luscious spinel!!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think so :mrgreen2:. It's 2 cts, too! Very affordable (about $100/ct) because of the Tanzanian origin. When I see stuff like this, I buy because I'm an opportunist.

That is gorgeous!!! I have an incredible weakness for lavender spinel... :kiss2: you have the most beautiful ones... you should take a group photo to share. :mrgreen2:
Ok, I shall, after I receive it. The handshots are the vendor's, not mine. :roll2:

il_300x300.1868951560_p4p8.jpg

Okay, I'll fess up. I snatched these aquamarines from the same vendor for <$40 per ct. He took down the listing, though, so I can't link.

I'm already thinking about setting a 3-stone cushion ring in the future with my buys today. It'll have both my birthstone (spinel) and my DF's birthstone (aqua), so if these pictures are true to life, I think it'll be an absolutely divine (for me) combination of color. :kiss2:

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think so :mrgreen2:. It's 2 cts, too! Very affordable (about $100/ct) because of the Tanzanian origin. When I see stuff like this, I buy because I'm an opportunist.

Ok, I shall, after I receive it. The handshots are the vendor's, not mine. :roll2:

Okay, I'll fess up. I snatched these aquamarines from the same vendor for <$40 per ct. He took down the listing, though, so I can't link.

I'm already thinking about setting a 3-stone cushion ring in the future with my buys today. It'll have both my birthstone (spinel) and my DF's birthstone (aqua), so if these pictures are true to life, I think it'll be an absolutely divine (for me) combination of color. :kiss2:
Those aquas are to die for gorgeous!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That sounds like a great plan, voce! The combo of the gorgeous spinel and these aquas should make a lovely ring :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was a bargain for that lavender spinel. We need more pics!!!:love:

voce

Ideal_Rock
That was a bargain for that lavender spinel. We need more pics!!!:love:
Will do when I receive the package.

@voce very lovely! Ooo... who is this vendor?

I’m waiting for this from Thailand. Burma spinels, 1.5 mm each.

6D438F2E-EFAC-4EE4-A67F-EBBF3A3876A1.jpeg
:love::love:did you buy all 100 spinels pictured? Who is YOUR vendor? I bought the spinel and aqua from CDGEMSTONE on Etsy. There's a bigger pair of aqua still available.

Dibs if you ever want to sell some of those melee red spinel!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
:love::love:did you buy all 100 spinels pictured? Who is YOUR vendor? I bought the spinel and aqua from CDGEMSTONE on Etsy. There's a bigger pair of aqua still available.

Oooo nice! I will check it out.

It’s from Maureen Webber, a vendor on Jeff Davies & Friends Fine Gemstones Auctions. Yes, I bought all 100 pieces. She’s getting inundated by a lot of red spinel requests after that auction. :lol: Sure, I’ll let you know.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will do when I receive the package.

Oh my goodness, that’s OTL, she was a regular poster here and then went into the trade now. She had some gorgeous pieces.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I am loving all of these delicious gems!!
Andddddd @voce I am SO jealous!
Ive actually been in love with lavender spinels lately and have been on the hunt. Yours is truly beautiful and at that price?! Amazing!

@strawrose those babies are such a yummy red! I cannot wait to see what you create out of those!!

@CHRISTY-DANIELLE , those tourmaline are lovely! & your story that goes along with them is even better. Dont you love it when the stars seem to align for your gemstone/jewelry purchases? Or maybe its just us all trying to rationalize the amount we spend on gems like "See honey, even the universe wants me to have this! Its meant to be!" :lol-2: haha

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
& I guess I wasnt joking on my last post about finding more.....
Dont judge me!

So this Oregon Sunstone cab (13x17mm) has been in my favorites on Etsy for quite some time (I wanna say a couple years even) and I just never pulled the trigger but everytime id browse my favorites and see it I just thought it was beautiful. I also dont own any sunstone let alone the beautiful material that comes out of Oregon.
It has such a strange look and energy to it that I just cant ignore.
I requested some more photos of it in different light sources. As long as it doesnt turn completely clear in most lighting then it will finally be mine!
il_fullxfull.1013100964_grvj~2.jpg il_fullxfull.1059629579_f7p5~2.jpg il_fullxfull.1013101042_3wht~2.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ive actually been in love with lavender spinels lately and have been on the hunt.
Do you prefer a more pinkish or bluish lavender? Because if pinkish, there's this one :twisted2: being offered by thegemstoneproject, in addition to a couple other pale lavender spinels that CDGEMSTONE is selling. I'm also considering listing one of my acquisitions for sale, but haven't decided about it.

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
QUOTE="voce, post: 4543723, member: 101872"]Do you prefer a more pinkish or bluish lavender? Because if pinkish, there's this one :twisted2: being offered by thegemstoneproject, in addition to a couple other pale lavender spinels that CDGEMSTONE is selling. I'm also considering listing one of my acquisitions for sale, but haven't decided about it.[/QUOTE]

Ooooo oh my goodness this is music to my ears. I may have you help me find one too =)2

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Continuing this thread even though its been a few months (wow have the last 3 months flown by!) & I couldnt find a spot to post my colored stone purchases so far this May!

All are very inexpensive but im proud to say I didnt go towards my usual habit of purchasing small things just to purchase something in between larger purchases. While they were all pretty inexpensive I truly took my time and really thought about what I would set and asked myself with each purchase "Do I really love this stone? Does it bring me happiness?"

I plan to set these in silver settings made by my trusty smith. :kiss2:

A pear shaped Quartz with Lepidochrosite inclusions. I truly have an affinity for these stones. Something about them intrigues me entirely!
il_fullxfull.1660113230_c3gp.jpg

A unique emerald-type cut Serpentine gemstone. This is another gem stone that im naturally drawn to that others necessarily aren't. It also seems to have not been polished which ads to the overall "vibe" of the stone IMO.
s-l400 (28).jpg

Another Quartz with Lepidochrosite. Can you tell I love them? This one is special because it has some lovely goethite and it also reminds me of the original lepido quartz that I first purchased that started my love for them.
s-l400 (27).jpg

This blue sapphire that I purchased is so tiny but very interesting. I purchased it because someday Id love to create my dream yellow gold snake ring and set this blue baby into its head.
20190427_164032~2.jpg
I also purchased this pretty little Thai star sapphire that is such a delicious color.
I plan on setting this in a simple yellow gold stacking ring, possibly a dotted band.
s-l400 (25).jpg

& Lastly, I'm so proud of this one as some of you may remember reading that my significant other couldnt be father from having a gemstone hobby and hasnt always been the best gift giver when it comes to jewelry. Hes a man that is great at giving travel gifts like taking me to Mexico but cannot differentiate between solid gold and gold plating so this should tell you how far he came for this one....he purchased this uniquely colored Gem silica cabochon at 14mm all on his own! My jaw dropped! It has some surface reaching porosity but other than that I love it and now it has 100x more meaning because it was given to me by him on his own volition. He said that he was looking for blue green gems and that this one seemed special.
He could have purchased a dyed blue green agate but the big turkey purchased my first gem silica for me!
I'm very shocked and very proud of him! Haha
I plan to set it in yellow or rose gold someday. :kiss2:

il_570xN.1294385250_doxv.jpg il_570xN.1294391566_j0v3.jpg
So far that is it but im sure I'll find more :lol:
Im definetely in a gem collecting phase as of late.

Anyone else purchase any lovely colored beauties? From gems costing 10$ to 10k?:mrgreen2:
Ooh, so impressed with your quartz with lepidochrosite! Cool !!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
So, I noticed that stone I linked from thegemstoneproject was sold when I just visited Etsy; hoping it was @Garnetgirl and not some random lurker.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Do you prefer a more pinkish or bluish lavender? Because if pinkish, there's this one :twisted2: being offered by thegemstoneproject, in addition to a couple other pale lavender spinels that CDGEMSTONE is selling. I'm also considering listing one of my acquisitions for sale, but haven't decided about it.

The one you shared is lovely but sadly (or luckily because someone purchased ) I love the lavender babies with a secondary blue tone. Yours is honestly perfect in my eyes :kiss2:and I see that one as having a more blue tone. The other ones that were for sale at CD were a great color but the cuts werent to my taste. I cannot wait to see handshots of those aquas and your delicious spinel together!!! Ahhh
Oh & sorry I'm just now replying, yesterday was crazy with work and kids and her school, I'm surprised I survived!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Gem Silica in hand :Up_to_something: The color in person is lovely and much more lively than the photos.
Its a brighter blue and less of a mossy blue, I'm not complaining!
It has a small green birthmark, I wish I knew what mineral it is. Malachite maybe? Isnt malachite closely related to chrysocolla and therefore gem silica?
I originally wanted a yellow gold ring but I think rose would be more suited!
20190510_202736.jpg 20190510_201848.jpg

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gem Silica in hand :Up_to_something: The color in person is lovely and much more lively than the photos.
It has a small green birthmark, I wish I knew what mineral it is. Malachite maybe? Isnt malachite closely related to chrysocolla and therefore gem silica?
Lovely, I like that “birth mark”

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg the color is perfect!!!! Do you happen to know where he bought it?? It's wonderful! Good for him!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
omg the color is perfect!!!! Do you happen to know where he bought it?? It's wonderful! Good for him!
Thank you both! & lovedogs I will definitely ask him! Its always great when the sellers photos represent the gemstone but when they're better in person....is a treat!
I love blue green gems....theres something that is equally energetic yet calming about them depending on hue.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your gentleman did great! I love the unique color and personality of the stone. It’s really special! What a rare choice!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I wholeheartedly agree about the rose gold. :geek2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

@lovedogs !!
I finally remembered your comment and asked him and he said it was from a very kind and professional man on Etsy named "Patrick Murphy". I looked and he still has a bunch of lovely options!
I even purchased one from him myself after finding him; its 14.8 x 11.7 x 4.6mm @ 7.74ct
Here it is next to the one my bub gave me. Its less green but I truly love them both.
Im still thinking rose gold for the greener cushion but I cannot for the life of me decide on the newer one. It definetely has that paraiba-ish color but the lustre is totally waxy and it has these clouds instead of inclusions.
What metal color would suit the newer one in your opinion?
20190531_200058~3.jpg 20190531_195806.jpg

:kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs !!
I finally remembered your comment and asked him and he said it was from a very kind and professional man on Etsy named "Patrick Murphy". I looked and he still has a bunch of lovely options!
I even purchased one from him myself after finding him; its 14.8 x 11.7 x 4.6mm @ 7.74ct
Here it is next to the one my bub gave me. Its less green but I truly love them both.
Im still thinking rose gold for the greener cushion but I cannot for the life of me decide on the newer one. It definetely has that paraiba-ish color but the lustre is totally waxy and it has these clouds instead of inclusions.
What metal color would suit the newer one in your opinion?
20190531_200058~3.jpg 20190531_195806.jpg

:kiss2:
oooh super pretty! I looked at his stuff on etsy a while ago, and am glad to know his stuff is as good in person as it looks online! for the blue one (newer), I think white gold to really make the color pop, or yellow for a warmer look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results