shape
carat
color
clarity

Feathers SI1 issue

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
The only inclusion in this SI1 are feathers. Would this be an issue I should be concerned with?

1610229662577.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210109_165123.png
    Screenshot_20210109_165123.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Garry!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I would be concerned, but the girdle is slightly thick (which I normally would not prefer) but in this case I think that would be a benefit. I do wonder if they set as Garry suggested could the stone be compromised in the setting process.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not worried about the feathers but if its not mind clean to you there are a lot of other diamonds out there.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Is there an article discussing when feathers are a problem or not and how to determine if they are problematic looking at an AGS plot?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is there an article discussing when feathers are a problem or not and how to determine if they are problematic looking at an AGS plot?

There is an article in the Articles section.
But as a contributor I have to say that since it was written I have been observing closely when doing appraisals and remodels (we do a lot of both) and I have pretty much stopped worrying about feathers.
The number of +100 year old diamonds I see full of feathers changed my mind.
Of course I do not know about the ones that broke in half - because I don't see them.
But I see a lot of older and not so old stones with chips on thin girdles!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

The only feathers I worry a lot about are ones that extend from a cavity or are anywhere near a corner on a princess cut.
One that extends across the diamond are a concern but not as much.

A persson close to me had a princess cut er ring the diamond was a i1/i2 with a large eye visible feather across the stone.
It was dropped into a sink and the stone shattered, the part with the feather was in perfect condition the part of the diamond that was clean was in bits.
Since then I dont worry to much about feathers.
The majority of the time in my opinion a stone is hit hard enough and in the right place to damage it then its going to happen feather or no feather.
The exception being princess corners which are already very delicate.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A round diamond with a significantly elevated durability risk will generally not recieve an Si1 grade.

In determining a clarity grade, the GIA system considers the size, nature, position, color or relief, and quantity of clarity characteristics visible under 10× magnification.

A particularly dangerous inclusion would fall under the broad category of "nature", and would typically drop the grade into the Imperfect range.

Reactions: CMN

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hello All, I am going to see an antique stone in a bezel setting this week. I just got the cert and wonder if I should be concerned about resetting the stone. I had planned on doing an updated bezel setting. @Garry H (Cut Nut) I would especially appreciate your comments since you have seen a lot of antique stones. I have been told that the stone is eye clean with the exception of the white feather that is around 4 O'Clock.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_9331.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen lots of diamonds, some were old 8-)
As Bryan says - and SI1 is not likely to be too risky - especially with all that going on. But make sure the feather is set close to a prong. PS I think the feathe may actualy be at 5pm?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your response @Garry H (Cut Nut)! What's at 4 O'Clock then and should I be worried about it?

Btw, the clarity of this stone is between an SI2 and I1. It's got an EGL cert because it was graded set.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your response @Garry H (Cut Nut)! What's at 4 O'Clock then and should I be worried about it?

Btw, the clarity of this stone is between an SI2 and I1. It's got an EGL cert because it was graded set.

give up worrying - we have done it for you :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
The only inclusion in this SI1 are feathers. Would this be an issue I should be concerned with?

1610229662577.png

Out of curiosity does the feather at 12oclock mean it goes through to the other side?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results