shape
carat
color
clarity

Feathers on VS2 Girdle

putput

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I’m trying to understand if the feathers on this girdle is something to be concerned about? For reference it’s a 2.9 VS2. Any insight is very much appreciated!

Also, I have had a reputable vendor tell me that there is no such thing as a “high J or low J” and that their diamonds are cut so well that they don’t show warmth/lean closer to I. That feels like a bold statement that I’m not so sure about. Thoughts?
214859BA-1A15-426F-9AC6-A7DA5162D429.jpeg

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! I’m trying to understand if the feathers on this girdle is something to be concerned about? For reference it’s a 2.9 VS2. Any insight is very much appreciated!

Also, I have had a reputable vendor tell me that there is no such thing as a “high J or low J” and that their diamonds are cut so well that they don’t show warmth/lean closer to I. That feels like a bold statement that I’m not so sure about. Thoughts?
214859BA-1A15-426F-9AC6-A7DA5162D429.jpeg

I had this diamond in my possession. I could feel one of the feathers (crack) with my fingernail. As a result, I returned it. If you, however, place the prongs next to the feather (not on the top of the feather), it should not be a problem but I did not want to risk it. The way I found this particular feather was when I was looking for the AGS number. Otherwise, I would have never known as I have never really checked the girdle before.

I believe this particular one is an I. It is a true I. You could see the tint.

putput

Rough_Rock
Oh wow thank you, @daisygrl! I really appreciate you sharing your experience. This is first my timing buying a diamond so I don’t think I’ll want to take that risk either — and the search continues!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
their diamonds are cut so well that they don’t show warmth/lean closer to I.

From the top that may very well be true. Great cutting allows a diamond to look one to two color grades higher, from the top, than from the side. One of the reasons color is graded from the side is to negate the effect of cutting on the color grade of the diamond. If I have a diamond that is a J and looks more like an H or an I, I am happy that this is the effect of the cutting. My clients are very happy that they are paying for the I color and enjoying the increased sparkle and apparent higher color of the well cut diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results