shape
carat
color
clarity

Feathers on Upper Girdle Break Facets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which feathers on the Upper Girdle Break Facets are okay and which are not with regard to durability of the diamond?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid, you're a sweetheart and I love you, but you need to give it up and get a professional opinion on this diamond.

You're obsessing.

Rich

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/7/2002 5:33:09 PM

Which feathers on the Upper Girdle Break Facets are okay and which are not with regard to durability of the diamond?
----------------

Yes, but there must be a general answer to my question though. Why would a cutter polish diamonds which have feathers in the upper girdle break facet area why not restrict feathers to the kite facet or star facets? Surely if a feather in the upper girdle break facets is a durability risk to the stone this would be cut away and a smaller stone would be faceted from the rough.

A jeweller (not a gemologist) has told me that any feather in this area unless a I2 OR I3 in clarity size is okay. He has said it is not an issue and is portrayed as such on the internet in order to gain business by educating people with unreal information. Is this so.

Edited to add in words I had missed, my poor english.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can any gemologist or jeweller comment

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going on holidays for 1 month tonight and would like some reassurance that my diamond is okay before I go.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can a person in the trade please advise regarding this general question?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have not seen any relationship between inclusions and diamonds breaking yet.
27 years experiance, 2 stores, 20 staff.
I have heard lots of people smear competitors etc and bag other peoples stones. But I do not and have not ever witnessed a diamond break because of its inclusions.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
'bag other peoples stones'

What does this mean, buy other peoples stones?

martie79

Rough_Rock
Dear Gary H (Nut Cut),
I recently read your response to this post and thought you would be a good person to ask the following question: I have a loose stone which I am having made into an engagement ring, and the jeweler informed me that due to an inclusion that is in the corner of the stone and reaches the surface, that there is a chance the stone may cleave or break when setting the prongs. He stated that he would make every effort possible to prevent this, such as only applying as much pressure as is minimally necessary to the prong that is closest to the inclusion. I need to sign a statement relinquishing him from responsibility should the stone break in the process of setting and I am in the process of weighing my options. I tried to have the loose stone insured, but can''t find anyone to insure a loose stone. Do you think that it is possible that the stone could actually break? It sounds like given your experience your answer is "No", but I was wondering if you had other thoughts on the subject in general. Granted, I realize you will not have the stone to look at and don''t know the specifics, but I was looking for any words of wisdom you might have on the subject.

Thanks very much,
Rich

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
what shape stone?
how thick is the girdle?

martie79

Rough_Rock
It is a radiant cut and the girdle is medium, polished.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Martie, this thread may be helpful for you.

Also, one of the posters there climsjeff may be able to explain policies regarding insuring loose stone.

martie79

Rough_Rock
I can''t find the user "climsjeff" on the forum.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops! typo
2.gif
that should be ''claimsjeff'' he posted on page 3 of the thread that pricescope linked.
2.gif

claimsjeff

Rough_Rock
Hello all.....still digging out from helping policyholders from Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma. Please continue to support the jewelers in the south....they really need it over the holidays.

Yes, JM will insure loose stones that will be set. Assuming you insure the stone prior to the setting, if it is damaged during the mounted process we will pay to replace it.(regardless if it had a feather in it or not).... If the jeweler is insured by us they will be relieved of any obligation/negligence for this process. Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays.
Jeff A. Mills
Vice President Claims
Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results