shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather risk?

Treasurehunter84

Rough_Rock
Hello! Everyone was very helpful last time I posted so looking for some more help please!
I have found an antique Rectangular cushion cut diamond. Its beautiful and I’m nearly sold, except the GIA report says extremely thin to ex thick girdle, and there is a feather presumably around the girdle, but having not seen it in person difficult to say where it is. Photo of plot attached. I am only interested in a single prong setting - am I wrong to go for this or am I worrying for nothing, its already over 100 years old and there are no chips anywhere, but its for an E-ring so planning to wear it every day! Thank you 352290A8-7D74-4BA0-BFB8-649F23905585.png

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What is the clarity grade on the report, and what is the date of the report?
As for the girdle, it would not be uncommon for a diamond of that age to have an uneven girdle as they were all created by hand back then. However, anything graded as extremely thin to me is something that I, personally, would steer clear of, especially if a diamond you would be wearing on a daily basis. By single prong setting, do you mean bezel-set? I think that would be the only safe way with that extremely thin girdle but you would need to ensure that the bench jeweler is confident the girdle can withstand the setting process.

Treasurehunter84

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply! The clarity grade is VS2 and the date is 2017. Actually I meant x4 single claw prongs, sorry not good with the terminology! It is currently set with x4 double prongs but I feel they hide a lot of the shape which is a shame because its so unique! I’m still considering it because it is so lovely, and if you don’t think the feather combined with ex thin-ex thick girdle would be a problem then I’d probably take the risk of resetting it!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The thin girdle depends where it is thin. There may be some signs of wear and tear. I marked 2 but noticed another on the top left center.
I think an appraisers help might be called for - or if you know and trust the people you are working with - ask their opinion.
1603604997434.png

Treasurehunter84

Rough_Rock
The thin girdle depends where it is thin. There may be some signs of wear and tear. I marked 2 but noticed another on the top left center.
I think an appraisers help might be called for - or if you know and trust the people you are working with - ask their opinion.
1603604997434.png

Thank you Gary that is extremely helpful! I will ask because I do trust them they are very reputable. They have offered me an alternative oval/elongated cushion as well but I do like the straight lines of this one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results