shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather in VS2 diamond

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
I found a VS2, G, Excellent Cut, 1.85 carat diamond, but the only concern I have is the feather located in the crown and it is a little bit extended to the table area, as shown in the GIA mapping. The line of the feather is quite large.

After reading a different post on this forum, I am a little confused about feathers now because through my research online, I concluded that feathers are only internal inclusions, and if a feather reaches the surface then GIA would grade it as a cavity.

However, I read on this forum that experts from GIA said that a feather always touches the surface, and all feathers break the surface. And GIA says that a feather must reach the surface. Feathers can be plotted red (an internal inclusion) even if they actually break the surface. And feathers can be plotted green (an external blemish) even though they are an internal inclusion.

So basically all feathers break the surface according to the GIA experts.

So now my questions are:

1) Should I be worried about durability if a VS2 diamond has a feather in the table and crown?
2) Can a feather in a VS2 diamond potentially grow over time and get worse?
3) Do feathers always reach the surface? Or is a feather just a short distance away from the surface but not actually touch the surface?
4) If a feather by definition always breaks the surface, then does that mean all feathers have tiny microscopic lines that connect and then break the surface?

Thanks for all of your help.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I found a VS2, G, Excellent Cut, 1.85 carat diamond, but the only concern I have is the feather located in the crown and it is a little bit extended to the table area, as shown in the GIA mapping. The line of the feather is quite large. WHY NOT SHOW US PLOTS?

After reading a different post on this forum, I am a little confused about feathers now because through my research online, I concluded that feathers are only internal inclusions, and if a feather reaches the surface then GIA would grade it as a cavity. WRONG - FEATHERS BREAK THE SURFACE

However, I read on this forum that experts from GIA said that a feather always touches the surface, and all feathers break the surface. And GIA says that a feather must reach the surface. Feathers can be plotted red (an internal inclusion) even if they actually break the surface. And feathers can be plotted green (an external blemish) even though they are an internal inclusion.

So basically all feathers break the surface according to the GIA experts.

So now my questions are:

1) Should I be worried about durability if a VS2 diamond has a feather in the table and crown?
2) Can a feather in a VS2 diamond potentially grow over time and get worse?
3) Do feathers always reach the surface?
YES
Or is a feather just a short distance away from the surface but not actually touch the surface? NO
4) If a feather by definition always breaks the surface, then does that mean all feathers have tiny microscopic lines that connect and then break the surface? THEY ARE CRACKS

Thanks for all of your help.
I personally do not like feathers that run across a crown and into the table. But say a VS1 grade making one of those might be such a small target.
Or an SI1 feather if it is not a major grade maker may not be an issue.
Generally I prefer them near the girdle in a position that can be protected by placing a prong right next to the feather but not on it.
Clearly a feather mid way along a square or rectangular diamond is at the greatest risk of damage

How many diamonds break - probably out of 1,000 diamonds with feathers worn in rings one might break every few years - so it might take 3,000 years of wear for 505 of them to get damaged

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response.

Here is the GIA report for the round diamond, it shows the location of the feather mostly on the crown and a little bit on the table.

The person from the jewelry store put the diamond under a microscope and showed me the feather, and it looked like a little tiny crescent shaped line like a millimeter from the table, between the table and girdle. So that's why I am a little confused, in this case the feather doesn't touch the surface.

The diamond looks eye clean, so why do you not like feathers in the table / crown?

Attachments

• 11013413.pdf
    536.6 KB · Views: 82

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First, it's important to realize that feathers are a VERY common inclusion type. Feathers are of most concern when they are big, located at the girdle, or especially, near a point.

In general, if the feather is the grade-setting feature of a VS2 (listed first in keys to plot), and not positioned as above, it will be minor and durability risk will be low. If feather is not the grade setter, risk will be even further reduced.

Diamonds are incredibly durable. Under normal wear it is very unlikely a feather in a VS2 will ever extend or lead to a durability problem. The majority of damage to diamonds occurs at the girdle, and usually in areas of thin to very thin. If you also have a feather in such an area that risk is increased.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking at the cert, I do not think you need to be overly concerned with durability. However, you do want to make sure the diamond is in original condition since it is likely pre-owned (7 year old cert).

Make sure you have it inspected by a qualified independent expert not connected with the sale during your return period.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont worry about feathers much other than near princess cut corners.
My opinion a hit that's hard enough and at the right angle is going to do damage feather or not.
A feather extending from a cavity on the other hand can be trouble.

A friend had a princess cut with a a large eye visible feather, it was huge.
The ring was dropped in a sink and the diamond shattered.
The 1/2 with the feather was in perfect condition the other 1/2 was dust.
I havent worried to much about them ever since seeing that.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont worry about feathers much other than near princess cut corners.
My opinion a hit that's hard enough and at the right angle is going to do damage feather or not.
A feather extending from a cavity on the other hand can be trouble.

A friend had a princess cut with a a large eye visible feather, it was huge.
The ring was dropped in a sink and the diamond shattered.
The 1/2 with the feather was in perfect condition the other 1/2 was dust.
I havent worried to much about them ever since seeing that.

@Karl_K I remember you telling us about the princess diamond with the feather a long time ago..Since your post..I’m more comfortable with them now depending on their location.

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Wow, I didn't realize that this diamond could have been pre-owned. So this diamond has been sitting in its inventory for 7 years?

Actually, I noticed that the GIA report didn't say anything about laser inscription of the GIA number on the side of the girdle, and I pointed that out to the jewelry store, and the sales clerk told me he didn't know the GIA number was not inscribed on the diamond. So I decided then to not buy the diamond, but now I am considering to ask the store to send it to GIA in New York for grading.

How long does it take for a jewelry store to sell the diamonds in their inventory?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How long does it take for a jewelry store to sell the diamonds in their inventory?
That varies all over the place from a few weeks to occasionally years but usually they will wholesale it off before then unless they are saving it for future value increases.
However as a general rule a report is considered stale at 2 years old and should be updated.
I'm not super strict on the 2 years for some fancies that are slow movers but rounds should move enough to have reports under 2 years old.

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
And if the feather is on the crown and table, and as shown in the GIA report the feather is listed first in the plot, what would be the concern for this type of feather? It has a higher chance of cracking if there is an impact?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, I didn't realize that this diamond could have been pre-owned. So this diamond has been sitting in its inventory for 7 years?

Actually, I noticed that the GIA report didn't say anything about laser inscription of the GIA number on the side of the girdle, and I pointed that out to the jewelry store, and the sales clerk told me he didn't know the GIA number was not inscribed on the diamond. So I decided then to not buy the diamond, but now I am considering to ask the store to send it to GIA in New York for grading.

I have some very old diamonds - they were put into a ring that never sold for a few years - we then took it out and put into another setting and in worst case - hit repeat

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
And if the feather is on the crown and table, and as shown in the GIA report the feather is listed first in the plot, what would be the concern for this type of feather? It has a higher chance of cracking if there is an impact?

In general I would not be concerned.

MrChanAttack

Rough_Rock
First, it's important to realize that feathers are a VERY common inclusion type. Feathers are of most concern when they are big, located at the girdle, or especially, near a point.

In general, if the feather is the grade-setting feature of a VS2 (listed first in keys to plot), and not positioned as above, it will be minor and durability risk will be low. If feather is not the grade setter, risk will be even further reduced.

Diamonds are incredibly durable. Under normal wear it is very unlikely a feather in a VS2 will ever extend or lead to a durability problem. The majority of damage to diamonds occurs at the girdle, and usually in areas of thin to very thin. If you also have a feather in such an area that risk is increased.

Darn. I just got a VS2 with feathers located at the girdle and near a point (roughly 10 O'clock on the stone). Guess it's going back.

8180022.jpeg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Darn. I just got a VS2 with feathers located at the girdle and near a point (roughly 10 O'clock on the stone). Guess it's going back.

8180022.jpeg

Over reaction.
Ask for the feather to be set right next to a prong. Not under it, next to it.
You will never have a problem.
And the diamond will appear a higher clarity

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A couple other points.
I have seen diamonds that have been worn for 40 years with multiple huge feathers as good as when they were bought 40 years ago.
There are millions of diamonds out there with feathers if they were causing a huge amount of breakage the insurance would be much more expensive or they would charge more for diamonds with feathers.
Just my opinion but I dont worry about it except for ones that end in a cavity or one in\near the corners of princess cuts.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Others may know otherwise but the only inclusions I know of that will cause some insurance companies not to issue policies are chips.
They consider chips as damage and they will not insure damaged goods.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results