shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather in the girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondrookie

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a 1.5 carat F VS2 that scores a .6 on the HCA. It was almost perfect price/spec wise... but when i finally saw the GIA cert, it indicated that it had a feather, starting on the girdle and extending in about halfway through the crown on that side of the stone (not all the way into the table).

The price is good... but is it because of this feather? Should I be concerned that the possibility that this feather might expand over time? or is the diamond at risk of breaking? What are the disadvantages of a stone with a feather in the girdle? Is this why the price is so good?

could any of the experts please give me advice on whether i should purchase this stone?

thnx.

diamondrookie

Rough_Rock
SteveL wrote that:

"I would also stay away from diamonds that have a feather at or very near the girdle "

Could any expert explain precisely why?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
i'm not an expert but would guess that there is more risk of chipping or cracking when the feather is close to a prong where more pressure/stress is applied.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/18/2002 11:16:32 PM

i'm not an expert but would guess that there is more risk of chipping or cracking when the feather is close to a prong where more pressure/stress is applied.
----------------

A jeweler friend was asked to get involved w/ a sticky situation. A person had their stone reset. The stone had a feather as indicated on the "plat". I am not sure where the feather was. The person got the stone back in its new setting. A problem ensued when the person tried to match the stone to the plat. It did not match. Said person accused the jewelry store of switching stones. Turns out, the feather shifted and it indeed was the same stone....just now w/ a rather larger feather.

No one was happy. My jeweler never found out what was agreed upon between both parties....but what a sticky situation.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
On the other hand, if the diamond is insured, it might not be such a big risk. Just a bit of hassle in a case of mishap.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
SteveL wrote that:
"I would also stay away from diamonds that have a feather at or very near the girdle "

Could any expert explain precisely why?

Simply from durability stand point. If the feather actually reaches the girdle edge (or very close) the diamond is more likely to break if struck on a sharp edge at or on the feather. This doesn't imply that it will happen, just that it could happen more easily.

It can be set under a prong but again there is some added risk in doing this. And setting this way only slightly help the durability issue.

There are many diamonds on the market. Maybe spend a little more time and find one that doesn't have this issue. If you love this diamond then buy it, but you may consider insuring it too as you should all major jewelry purchases.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
diamondrookie,

FYI: I know of a person reselling their diamond. They bought the diamond a couple months ago and never set it. It is a AGS000 branded H&A that is 1.62 carat, G color, VS2.

If you have any interest email me and I will forward you to the owner. I do have the diamond at the moment so I can give you certain information, just not the price, that would be between you and the seller.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Leonid, no problem I always enjoy your site!

I just ran the 1.62 on the HCA from the AGS report. Here is what I got.

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 0.4 - Excellent - within TIC range

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results