shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather in Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

currada

Rough_Rock

Ever since I saw the post on Widgets red spinel ring. I have been drawn to them and have been looking at them online and in other posts listed on pricescope. I found one that I am interested in but after speaking to the seller I''m unsure of a feather inclusion that was noted. Since the spinel is offered online and I''m unable to view it myself, I asked them if the feather broke the surface and this was their answer.

I had to use the microscope to be sure and the answer is yes. The feather is heavier in the bottom section of the stone, one small thin line comes to the surface. The color is top notch and unusually bright, the clarity would be moderate inclusions or SI1 to I1. The flaw poses no danger to the stone, the surface line is not visible to the eye.

I don''t know a lot about clarity in spinels or the feather breaking the surface. I did read some off the internet but still don''t know if this would be considered a deal breaker. I saw this in the RH spinel buying guide under clarity. In terms of clarity spinel is often cleaner than ruby, however fine reds are rare and some clarity defect is almost always present (usually fractures) Included crystals are quite common in spinels. Many stones display natural iron-oxides stains in their fractures. If anyone is able to shed some light on this subject that would be appreciated. Thanks

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s not eye visible I doubt it''s much of a problem. But any time you see a fracture reach the surface, I''d soak it in acetone a couple of days then re-examine to make sure a more extensive fracture isn''t being masked with oil.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results