shape
carat
color
clarity

FCD tax question (Kenny?)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I was just wondering what the normal protocol is for receiving diamonds internationally, in terms of import duty. Do you know what percentage you have been taxed at for your Leibish purchases - and is there any level of exemption? I am also curious as to whether or not my import duty could be refunded, as I will be taking the stone out of the country on a permanent basis in the matter of a couple of weeks.

It would be nice to have this sort of info, especially if I follow through with the green purchase. It is significantly more expensive than the pink and it would affect my decision in regards to having it shipped here, or having it shipped home to Australia (where the first $2000 of value is exempt, and sometimes you can even slide greater values than that through as well).

Cheers, in advance. :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I have no clue about Australia.
I'm in USA and no duty/customs/VAT has ever been added to the price on Leibish's website when it is shipped to a US address.

They only tax you get hit with is the FCD-holic tax.
You want to keep buying MORE MORE MORE!!! :devil:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if Australia is like the UK, but here you have to have owned something for more than 6 months before you can bring it in without paying tax/duty.

I know my SIL who is from the USA found that applied when she was worried about bringing her personal items over when she first moved here after she was married.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Excellent - during a phone call with my Dad last night, he pointed out that he assumed there would be some import duty added on to stones shipped into the States. I am very pleased to hear there is not. I think the most cost-efficient strategy is to purchase, have it sent to my parents in IA, and then wait a number of months to bring it back with me. I visit annually, so once/year I could collect my diamonds. That sounds utterly awful and anti-climactic, and will probably only be done in cases of big purchases, where the 10% tax I'd pay to the Aussie govt would be enough that waiting to see the diamond would be financially worth it. Other than that, I think 10% is a fair price to pay for immediate gratification. :$$):

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results