shape
carat
color
clarity

FCD origin

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've emailed the AGL twice now with no response. Does anyone know if they will do origin reports on diamonds, or is it colored stones only? TIA. :))

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It's not often possible to do origin reports on diamonds.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Do you want to know if the color is of natural origin or do you want to know provenance?

GIA offers diamond type analysis, which can help in provenance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah there are two things that can be natural or not, the material itself, which could be mined or produced in a lab, and the color itself.

I think GIA is the go-to lab for FCDs so I'm curious why you would consider AGL over GIA.

Also I'll add that even though GIA is the most respected for FCDs they sometime cannot determine if the origin of green is natural or treatment since both are from exposure to radiation.
I've often read that GIA examines the intentionally-left-over indented naturals with brown stains for the definitive evidence.
If they all get polished off a natural green stone GIA may have to issue a report stating the color origin cannot be determined - enormously reducing the value of a green diamond that was truly fully natural. ;( ;( ;(

Since GIA is the standard lab I wonder if they have more-respected expertise when it comes to IDing Green FCDs.
Put another way, I as an FCD collector would never shell out the huge bucks for a green with an AGL report, only a GIA report.
I may be ignorant of AGL's competence with this, but other FCD buyers may share my ignorance.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It is the provenance that I am interested in. I enquired about AGL because I've seen their reports that list physical origin, but I've not seen that on any GIAs. My FCDs already have GIA info, but in Australia the inherent "value" of the stone increases very significantly if the stone is shown to be Australuan sourced. I'd like to try to determine where my FIY was mined.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
justginger|1329089347|3124957 said:
It is the provenance that I am interested in. I enquired about AGL because I've seen their reports that list physical origin, but I've not seen that on any GIAs. My FCDs already have GIA info, but in Australia the inherent "value" of the stone increases very significantly if the stone is shown to be Australuan sourced. I'd like to try to determine where my FIY was mined.

I don't believe any lab today will determine a diamonds origin. Although certain shades and characteristics are typically accredited with a certain geographical location, shades much like people vary. :bigsmile:

Unless your diamond has an inscription and/or Rio Tinto certificate I think you are SOL, sorry.

The AGL reports that you saw were probably for gemstones, of which sometimes (often?) the origin can be determined.

Here's a neat link discussing typical shades from various locations :http://www.reddiam.com/articles.aspx?id=38

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results