shape
carat
color
clarity

Fay Cullen setting...questions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Giangi,

I'm new here, so at the risk of sounding silly, what' IMO? And, I'm definitely interested in hearing about the antique stones....

Tradeshop says that they can make the ring for me in platinum! So, now just to find a decent size and quality stone for around $3000!

Wish me luck!

shurikt

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 6/25/2003 3:52:31 PM tawn wrote:
Thanks for the great advice...The setting specifed a "full-cut" diamond
----------------

I've always wondered about that. What is a Full Cut diamond? I'm under the impression that it is NOT a Round Brilliant....

Oh, and IMO means "in my opinion". Sometimes it's written as IMHO (the "h" is for humble) but that doesn't usually apply to Pricescopers...

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I've always wondered about that. What is a Full Cut diamond? I'm under the impression that it is NOT a Round Brilliant....

Oh, and IMO means "in my opinion". Sometimes it's written as IMHO (the "h" is for humble) but that doesn't usually apply to Pricescopers...
[/quote]

----------------
[/quote]

Thanks for the translation on "IMO"...I was wondering what it meant! Any suggestions where to start on my diamond search?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Full cut means fully cut...57 or 58 facets. But I don't think it's a modern round brilliant, I think its more of a 'general term' for stones with 57-58. Hmm then that brings up the other Q which is....what is a modern round brilliant?

I've seen 'full cut' stones that were touted as 'antique'. That led me to believe that MRB's were not FC? But ?

AHHH confused now.

Shurikt...I LOVE your sense of humor. IMHO that is.
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I've heard people use "full cut" interchangably with "modern cut." Hm. Okay off to do a Google search...

Okay, the results are: one antique site calls all 57-58 facet diamonds "full cut"--using it as an umbrella term. So, it calls OECs, OMCs, AND modern RBs full cuts.

Another article only calls modern RBs "full cuts."

Oh, another article using full cut as the umbrella term.

Etc...

Hm. Doesn't look like there's a definite consensus.

wassiji

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 6/24/2003 10:52:52 PM tawn wrote:

First time here....need advice!

Found this unique setting at Fay Cullen. Really wanted platinum, cuz I'm very active and concerned about the wear and tear, but unfortunately, it only comes in 18K whitegold! The weight is 3.7 grams, (which means nothing to me!) Does that sound like it will be sturdy enough for everyday wear?

18k white gold is sturdy, but not as sturdy as 14k white gold - and not nearly as sturdy as platinum. Platinum is the hardest of the metals AND it is more pure (14k gold is only 58% gold, whereas platinum - good platinum is 90-95%platinum) White gold usually has a rhodium finish on it - which makes it appear white (similar to platinum). However, over time, in my experience, with lots of "wear and tear" the rhodium rubs off and the ring looks yellowish (somewhere near halfway between the looks of platinum and yellow gold). So beware that your ring will most definitely get more yellow over time) You can always rhodium fininsh it again in the future.

It's priced at $1000...and there are .30 of diamonds. Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds reasonable, yet high.

If I choose this setting)...I'll need to find an eyeclean, decent cut, white enough, 6.5mm stone! Any suggestions about where to look?

I say the internet is great to get ideas but you need to go to a store and look at diamonds in person - see and experience the difference in cut, color, clarity, size...so you know where you want to put your investment in the diamond (ie a larger stone that is an H rather than an F color, or a smaller diamond that is a VS1 which is the clarity that really represents the fire and brilliance and purity you want in your "forever" diamond...)

Thanks in advance for the advice...
wavey.gif

Tawny
----------------
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/25/2003 6:24
6.gif
5 PM wassiji wrote:

I say the internet is great to get ideas but you need to go to a store and look at diamonds in person - see and experience the difference in cut, color, clarity, size...so you know where you want to put your investment in the diamond (ie a larger stone that is an H rather than an F color, or a smaller diamond that is a VS1 which is the clarity that really represents the fire and brilliance and purity you want in your "forever" diamond...)

----------------

Hello & welcome--

Just wanted to pop in and say IMO...VS1 clarity does not dictate fire and brilliance of a stone. That would be dictated by the CUT of the stone.

Clarity may affect slightly the fire/brill/scint of a stone (e.g. inclusion along a facet) but it doesn't dictate it by any means. A beautiful eye-clean SI1 can face up just as nicely as a VS1 or a VVS1 or an IF--if it's eye clean and the cuts are comparable.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ah, a lawyer to the rescue! Thanks Lawgem.
appl.gif

wassiji

Rough_Rock
I would agreee that it will be difficult to find all of your criteria for $3000
If you find something you like email [email protected] or fax the certificate to me at 415.291.8466 and I will give you my professional opinion on the stone you are considering...

I bought my wife a round brilliant, H color SI1 clarity and we go to jewelry shows,...around people who know diam onds very well and we only get great comments - the stone is beautifully cut, too, which is crucial for brilliance and fire...
BJ

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Great advice...can't believe how much I'm learning! So, I can safely go with and H~SI1, as long as I get a very nice cut, and it's eyeclean! Now to find one in my budget of approx $3000!

Still looking for advice on where to search though!!
read.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tawn..check out Pricescope's vendors, dirtcheapdiamonds.com, diamondwholesale.cc (as mentioned in my previous posts BTW)...there are tons of places. You need to just start looking..see what you can find that works for you and your budget. Post here when you have a few stones to compare..people will help...but you need to start the initial search!

Good luck.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, Tawn, I wish I did...maybe someday.

I just found a beauty of a transition cut, which no one mentioned.

Transition cuts are a cut similar to OEC's but leaning more towards the modern brilliant.

1.17, SI1, but, I believe a j in color.

Still one gorgeous stone...

win

NagsHead

Rough_Rock
Hi Tawn, I would reccomend Barry at SuperbCert. He was very helpful in our diamond search, and the cut on all his stones are amazing (all his branded stones are Ideal Cut Hearts and Arrows). To learn more about the Hearts and Arrows cut follow the tutorial on pricescope, it is fantastic. From start to finish he helped us every step of the way until he found the perfect stone for us, STILL IN OUR PRICE RANGE
1.gif
His website is very informative, and gives all neccesary information such as a copy of the cert, brilliancescope, etc. Good luck
1.gif

~Nags

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Nagshead...(as in N.Carolina? Was there a couple of times and it was beautiful!)

I don't think I've seen a transistion cut...how do I take a look at that one?

Thanks!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
*Bump* for Antiqueengagement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results