shape
carat
color
clarity

Fay Cullen Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mchr3k

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I have joined this forum to ask advice about an engagement ring.

The ring which my partner has fallen in love with is found here and is best illustrated by this side shot:

13131316546.jpg

Since I am based in the UK I will get the honour of paying roughly 20% extra in import taxes.

This possible ring really is at the limit of my budget. Therefore I would like to know a few things:
- Have you had any good or bad experiences with faycullen.com
- Does this ring represent good value (particularly once I pay extra taxes)
- Do you know of anywhere else which might sell similar ring settings at lower prices? (For reference - here is another ring which my partner loves)
- How much does an item like this depreciate the moment I buy it?

13131316546.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, their return policy is horrid and the workmanship could be a lot better. But, if that is what the lady loves, you should get her what she loves. Just make sure you won't need to return it because they only allow returns on some of their pieces and even then there is a 20% restocking fee!

They also "edit" the posts on their comments board to only include the good ones...they just go through and erase the many bad ones (I'm not sure if you can still see it, but they used to be numbered, so you could see that they had sometimes deleted 3 or 4 in a row). Shady if you ask me...

And it depreciates at least 50% pretty much the moment you buy it. So you absolutely cannot look at this as an investment.

ETA: If you have some time on your hands, you can get a much much nicer cut stone (which equals wayyyyy more sparkle) and a similar setting for the same amount of $...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2008 12:48:13 PM
Author: neatfreak
Well, their return policy is horrid and the workmanship could be a lot better. But, if that is what the lady loves, you should get her what she loves. Just make sure you won''t need to return it because they only allow returns on some of their pieces and even then there is a 20% restocking fee!

They also ''edit'' the posts on their comments board to only include the good ones...they just go through and erase the many bad ones (I''m not sure if you can still see it, but they used to be numbered, so you could see that they had sometimes deleted 3 or 4 in a row). Shady if you ask me...

And it depreciates at least 50% pretty much the moment you buy it. So you absolutely cannot look at this as an investment.

ETA: If you have some time on your hands, you can get a much much nicer cut stone (which equals wayyyyy more sparkle) and a similar setting for the same amount of $...
Ditto. And welcome! Is your lady set on having a vintage ring? Because as Neat says, you could get a lovely modern brilliant or cushion even, or even get a custom setting for a similar price.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a similar vintage feel, but with *much* better reputation and customer service, try looking at the Beverley K line at Pearlman's. The settings are beautiful, well made, and are very well priced. Beverley K line at Pearlman's here.

mchr3k

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 12:54:11 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 4/5/2008 12:48:13 PM

Author: neatfreak

Ditto. And welcome! Is your lady set on having a vintage ring? Because as Neat says, you could get a lovely modern brilliant or cushion even, or even get a custom setting for a similar price.

My lady is indeed set on this kind of style. This turns out to be the fay cullan page with all the ring settings in the collection. Any suggestions for cheaper alternatives which have a similar style would be most welcome.

I am quite concerned about the reports of poor customer service at Fay Cullan given the fact that I'm purchasing from over the Atlantic...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a particularly bad experience with Fay Cullen about 3 years ago and wouldn't buy from them again. We requested that the ring be resized, which they did to the correct size, but they didn't size it straight. It was as though they resized from the side, making it an egg shape ring with the diamond in a really weird position. When we pointed this out to them they refused to take responsibility for the work that they'd done. Eventually we just gave up trying to get them to fix it and had a local jeweller fix it. The cost of which came out of our pocket. My ring is really pretty and the stone was as described but Fay Cullen's customer service leaves much to be desired. If they had fixed it I'd likely still buy from them but instead they told us that we were wrong, it was our responsible, and it was very stressful giving up my ring and finding a local jeweller to do the job Fay Cullen messed up.

Google them, I found out afterward by doing some google research that I was not the only one who had customer service issues the second Fay Cullen got their money.

Edited to add that my husband is British and did a bank wire transfer from the UK, but the ring was shipped to the US where I lived at the time so even though we had issues we were still working on things from the US.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about this setting from Whiteflash... Link

With this diamond... Link

Total price of ring = $3074 (You will get a discount for paying by bank wire through your bank)

That price is without Import Tax and VAT.

International Shipping is around $120 I think.
1.gif

With Whiteflash you can trade your diamond in later on for a bigger one if you wish.

mchr3k

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 1:21:27 PM
Author: Maisie
Leon Mege is one of the best ring designers ever. He has a beautiful ring on his website - its $3080

You should check it out...

www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=321

Top view:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=320

Thanks so much for your suggestion! I am really pleased with the quick replies! However, I am not a big fan of the ring you suggested. I am not really looking for a ring with lots of small stones round the edge of the main stone. The only extra stones I would want would be any which were details on the mounting.

mchr3k

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 1:35:10 PM

Total price of ring = $3074 (You will get a discount for paying by bank wire through your bank)

1.gif

With Whiteflash you can trade your diamond in later on for a bigger one if you wish.

Thats a really lovely ring! I will see what my partner thinks of it but its still at the upper end of my price range so I don''t know if it will be feasible. Ideally I would like to find an incredible ring for $2000 or less (if thats at all possible).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 1:27:42 PM
Author: mchr3k

My lady is indeed set on this kind of style. This turns out to be the fay cullan page with all the ring settings in the collection. Any suggestions for cheaper alternatives which have a similar style would be most welcome.

I am quite concerned about the reports of poor customer service at Fay Cullan given the fact that I''m purchasing from over the Atlantic...
The link lyra gave you is to a designer that has a similar flavor.

I found a couple (click on the picture that is kind of boxed in)

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/85PP1/6/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/23PP1/96/

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Knox has some great designs. I particularly like this one.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 1:38:40 PM

Date: 4/5/2008 1:35:10 PM

1.gif

Thats a really lovely ring! I will see what my partner thinks of it but its still at the upper end of my price range so I don''t know if it will be feasible. Ideally I would like to find an incredible ring for $2000 or less (if thats at all possible).
You want the ring + diamond for less than $2000?

mchr3k

Rough_Rock
Ok so I think realistically my budget is about $3200 and under.

I have just been through the whole Beverley K collection and this is the only ring close to what I am looking for. However, the band is not fine enough and I''m not a huge fan of the particular details on the raised part.

I have also spoken again with my partner and she assures me that this ring setting which I mentioned in my first post is essentially her ultimate setting. Sadly the $4500 for the setting plus stone which is listed is totally out my budget. I wonder if you think it might work to get the ring setting and a diamond separately? I have to admit I don''t quite understand the prices listed on that page as there are numbers for ring and band which I thought were the same thing.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you consider (or would she) having one custom made? There''s always that option.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 2:15:11 PM
Author: Ellen
Would you consider (or would she) having one custom made? There''s always that option.
Do you think its possible to get a diamond and custom made ring for less than $3200?

Mchr I know your partner really loves that setting, but have you told her its out of your price range? Maybe if she knows you can''t get her that specific ring she may be open to considering options that you can afford.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 2:25:22 PM

Do you think its possible to get a diamond and custom made ring for less than $3200?

Mchr I know your partner really loves that setting, but have you told her its out of your price range? Maybe if she knows you can''t get her that specific ring she may be open to considering options that you can afford.
I don''t know, but he could ask.

And I have to agree with Maise. If it''s not affordable, you need to let her know.

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
This ring isn''t Edwardian, but it still maintains a vintage flair and falls within your price range
10.gif

Ring from AntiqueEngagementRings.com

Also, they have a 30 day 100% money back guarantee!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
1) i would never buy from fay cullen, poor return policy and the workmanship just doesn''t look great to me

2) there is no way you are going to find a nice quality setting with a nice center stone for you budget. the beverley k''s are one of the best values out there right now for that style and even those will eat up a lot of your budget. I''d suggest putting your budget into finding a gorgeous center stone in the shape your gal wants and then saving up a bit more for the setting and doing a reset for a future anniversary if both of you are open to the idea.

3) since she really likes the antique style can you take her to any estate jewelers and see if there is something you can both see in person that might fit into your budget at this time?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
dup. post..

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
This site had several antique reproduction settings. If you can find one for $1000-1300 that would leave about $2k for a stone. Here's one for $2100. .74 I SI1 Round

Pushing your budget a bit but it's an idea to consider.AntiqueEngagementRings.com

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Well, I got a pendant from Fay Cullen and I'm delighted with it. It's an antique piece though, so not their workmanship. I dealt with Veronica, who was very, very helpful and sorted out the (minor) problems that I had. If you do decide to go with Fay Cullen, you might want to ask for her - she was great.

That said, they didn't want to ship to the UK or take card payment or Paypal from the UK, so I ended up having to ask a friend in the US to pay for me, take the package and ship it on to me. It all got a bit convoluted and I did get slightly anxious for the package in transit.

It possibly isn't the best option for a UK buyer, to be honest. I wouldn't do it again.

Good luck finding your perfect engagement ring - hope you'll come back with pics!

Jen

mchr3k

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 2:31:47 PM

I don''t know, but he could ask.

And I have to agree with Maise. If it''s not affordable, you need to let her know.

Ok so I have been talking further with her based on the posts I have had back and she is now also not so convinced about the Fay Cullan site and is open to other possibilities.

This is a serious alternative contender... although it is about $400 more than the original FC ring... D''oh! Anyway the point is that even though this ring has much less intricate detailing than the original one she still really likes it due to its very similar form.

Therefore if anyone can help me find something similar for slightly cheaper then I might be on to a winner. In the mean time I will email antiqueengagementrings.com and ask if they sell that ring setting on its own as a smaller diamond might make the critical difference.

Thanks guys! Your all so helpful!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That one would definitely run less if custom, in WG.

Or what about this one, though the price is not listed. If it''s anywhere close to their X-Prong, it would be somewhere in the 1000-1500 range.

http://goodoldgold.com/setting/V-119/

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 3:47:15 PM

Date: 4/5/2008 2:31:47 PM

Mchr I know your partner really loves that setting, but have you told her its out of your price range? Maybe if she knows you can't get her that specific ring she may be open to considering options that you can afford.
I don't know, but he could ask.

And I have to agree with Maise. If it's not affordable, you need to let her know.

Ok so I have been talking further with her based on the posts I have had back and she is now also not so convinced about the Fay Cullan site and is open to other possibilities.

This is a serious alternative contender... although it is about $400 more than the original FC ring... D'oh! Anyway the point is that even though this ring has much less intricate detailing than the original one she still really likes it due to its very similar form.

Therefore if anyone can help me find something similar for slightly cheaper then I might be on to a winner. In the mean time I will email antiqueengagementrings.com and ask if they sell that ring setting on its own as a smaller diamond might make the critical difference.

Thanks guys! Your all so helpful!
I'm not liking the looks of the "fair" symmetry on the diamond in that ring, but the setting is pretty if you can get it and choose your own stone. Why don't you try sending that picture to ERD and WF as see if they can make it for you and for what $$?

Check out Green Lakes Jewelry : www.gljw.com They do AMAZING antique stuff and their prices are amazing for the quality... in the $1000 to $1500 range. They are so helpful! And they are totally custom and work with clients long distance all the time, and they insure YOUR diamond during the setting process. That is my first choice recommendation. Send that picture of the one you like and ask for a quote! They'll get back to you the next day.

DD

mchr3k

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 4:17:30 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Why don''t you try sending that picture to ERD and WF as see if they can make it for you and for what $$?

I''m sorry maybe I''m being silly and have missed something when reading this thread but what does ERD and WF stand for?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2008 4:48:51 PM

Date: 4/5/2008 4:17:30 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Why don''t you try sending that picture to ERD and WF as see if they can make it for you and for what $$?

I''m sorry maybe I''m being silly and have missed something when reading this thread but what does ERD and WF stand for?
www.engagementringsdirect.com = ERD and www.whiteflash.com - WF!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I''d also show her this setting, by Vatche. It has the beautiful prong/head detail (though not milgrained) and is pretty reasonably priced:

Vatche "Solstice"

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 5:05:44 PM
Author: EBree
I''d also show her this setting, by Vatche. It has the beautiful prong/head detail (though not milgrained) and is pretty reasonably priced:

Vatche ''Solstice''

Agreed! And I would ask Mark at ERD about getting that (or another) Vatche and having it customized (i.e., with milgrain). He is more than happy to customize Vatche/other settings for you. We were going to do that for my ring until we realized that we really couldn''t get the look I wanted w/o going custom.

But that being said, Mark could do a ring just like that second one for you and get you a 1/2 c. ideal cut stone for probably less than they are charging...and the stone would shine like crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results