shape
carat
color
clarity

Favourite and Least Favourite Cut

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
So....just on the off chance that Santa is real and he was wondering what diamonds to order in for the Elves to work with later in the year - what are your favourite and least favourite cuts of stone?

Favourite -

Cushion - in my dreams its a pale lemony yellow cushion.
Oval - I like the elegance of the shape but I think I prefer them set E/W unless they have sidestones.

Least favourite -

Princess - I see them on other people and they look good but its the only shape I have tried on myself and thought NO! Maybe its the shape of my fingers vs the shape of the stone.

Favorite: Cushion (old), OEC/ OMC, RB

Least: Radiants and small facet cushions. I just really like larger facets.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a zillion cuts but I just picked this assortment:

From most to least favorite:

Asscher
Emerald
Round
Cushion
Oval
Radiant
Pear
Triangle
Trillant
Shield
Marquise
Heart
Princess

(I didn't list Octagon since IMHO it falls under asscher)

jj.png

jjj.png

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to own a large 4+ carat Cushion or Emerald cut one day, although I've never tried either of them on before!

I don't think have a least favorite shape. In the correct setting, I see beauty in all different shapes and cuts.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Favorites: Round-esp modified, modern cushions and asschers/emeralds

Least Favorite: Heart above all, I cannot stand them...then radiant, princess.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1314385262|3000538 said:
Favorites: Round-esp modified, modern cushions and asschers/emeralds

Least Favorite: Heart above all, I cannot stand them...then radiant, princess.

Forgot about Heart - definately on my least favourite list. I have a friend who has a Heart shaped Solitaire which she really dislikes however because her husband put so much effort and thought into choosing it she could never ever tell him.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Radiant cuts are my favorite, but have never found one that I love. Next are round cuts. Least is the marquise cut.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You know, I thought about it, and ... I honestly don't have a least favorite cut, in terms of shape. In terms of quality, though? Poor cut will turn me off every time.

I've fallen in love with rounds and cushions and asschers and pears and radiants and marquise: equally often (sadly, more often, as poor cut is more common) I've seen oval-ish cushions with little splintery facets that make me turn up my nose, or pears with bow-ties the size of Pee-Wee Herman's, or rounds that makes me think of the way the halibut at Zabar's give me that glassy look.

I will say, though, I stopped by Tiffany's the other day to try on the Lucida in person - did not like how that looked on my hand. It combined the small face-up size of the asscher with the crushed-ice facets of the radiant ....

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I love OECs, cushions and I actually like princess cuts. Hate marquises and hearts. Not a huge fan of step cuts or the classic round brilliant. All that said, Santa can bring me any kind of diamond he likes.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Faves: #1 Round brilliants, #2 emerald cuts, #3 asscher cuts
Least faves: Marquise, pears

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Favorite- I love square and rectangular princess cuts, radiants and emerald cuts.

Least favorite- hearts, skinny marquise, skinny pears

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love anything curvy; pears, rounds, cushions...

Dislike anything square or sharp

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't really have a least favourite, although I probably wouldn't pick a round for myself. That said, I've thought in the past that I didn't like a certain cut, then seen an example of it that just blows me away. I think it depends on the actual stone. Some diamonds just seem to 'suit' their cut better than others - I guess that's about the skill of the cutter.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Favourites - ascchers and emeralds, chunky old rounds and cushions, chubby marquises and pears, Yenny's old oval :love: :bigsmile:

I don't like hearts, colourless radiants, 4+ chevron princesses, RBs with thin mains and the fancy extra-facet RBs.

I've never seen a trillion/half-moon as a centrestone IRL, but I imagine with an equally unique setting design it could be a very cool look :sun:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Princess cut for both. When the princess cut is ideal it knocks my socks off. Sadly most are not cut well and full of body color.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. RB
2. ACV
Last. Marquise... Had one didn't like it still don't care for them. :|

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE: RB's, pears, Octavia/ asscher, EC, Lucida
DISLIKE: Marquise

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Favorite: For right now Asschers. I'm loving that cut in almost any stone I see and it can make me love a stone I previously hated - like aquamarine. I also like the elongated cuts like pear and oval but not so much emerald cuts. I don't like marquises as a center stone but in a multi-diamond design, they look great.

Least favorite: Princess - the square shape doesn't do anything for me by itself and the sparkle is not enough - if I'm going to have a square I'd rather have something with a distinctive cut and look (the corner stepcut Asscher is distinctive looking enough to overcome its squareness)

ETA: Least favorite for a center stone in a ring would probably be the heart shape - its too chintzy looking. I've seen some really nice heart pendants though.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite, bar none, is the pear shape. I like a good, solid, well-shaped pear. Not too fat, not too skinny. Just right. Around a 1.5ish ratio.

I also love Asschers, but cannot afford one in a size big enough for it to look elegant. (Again, the pear wins me over with it's wonderful face-up value.)

I also love cushions, but mostly for colored stones.

I don't like heart or marquise.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one will take offense right?!?!?

Favorites: round, asscher, emerald, cushion

Least:: marquise and heart (these happen to be my sisters fav though)!

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Favorites:
-Round Brilliants and Cushions

Least Favorites:
-Emeralds, Marquises, and Hearts.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Favorite would be Round, less favorite would be cushion

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Favorites would be pear, chunky cushion, asscher, and emerald. I also like my square radiant and wouldn't mind if it grew. :tongue:

Least favorite would be heart and marquise, though there are some really lovely, unique rings on PS in those cuts that are very beautiful on their wearers.

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Favorite-Round, Antique Cushion

I wish I had seen an antique cushion before I upgraded my round a few years ago because I love cushions!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1314389104|3000662 said:
No one will take offense right?!?!?

Favorites: round, asscher, emerald, cushion

Least:: marquise and heart (these happen to be my sisters fav though)!

I hope not, PS would be a boring place if we all liked the same things.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Favorite: Rounds and cushions

Least Favorite: Marquise and Rose cuts (I have never even seen one in person, but have seen lots of pictures on PS)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Favorite: Round
Least Favorite: Heart

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Favourites: Lucida, ascchers, cushions, OMC/OEC's

Least favourites: Pear, marquise, heart, RB, emerald

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Favorite..gosh it's tough to choose but my heart goes pitter patter for any great examples of the old cuts though I find the modern reproductions blandly predictable with their perfect symmetry. I Love step cuts too.

Least fave- Princess.

ETA- many shapes are great in limited applications like trilliants are really unusual and hard to pull off as a center stone but they are perfect for side stones. Hearts can make for kind of cheesy rings but it could work fine in a pendant. Lots of people hate on the marquise and I think it's really just because the world is so saturated with horrible examples of the cut...I love them as E-W side stones and for the right stone I could love it as a center stone.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Favorite: old mine cut, antique cushion

Least favorite: princess

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results