clarity

Favourite and Least Favourite Cut

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Favorites: Antique cushion, OEC, Asscher, emerald

Least favorites: RB, princess, marquise, heart

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
(Note to self: never do a Show Me The Bling reveal on either a Heart or a Princess here!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Odd how the Princess cut is the second most popular sold yet . . .

What could explain this?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I used to think that I didn't like pears or marquise... but now I think they are very lovely!

My favorite might be a warm color antique cut like an OMC or OEC, or maybe an August vintage cushion.

Least favorite would probably be a trillion cut.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is fun! Mostly because my tastes change so much after looking at all the beautiful jewelry on here, I can only imagine if i actually had the money to buy diamonds, how often i would change my mind. My sister always said she liked more square diamonds, but ended up with a RB because of the sparkle and the amount it faces up compared to other cuts. I have an eternity band of RBs, but if i had chosen a traditional diamond center, i imagine i would have also ended up with a RB and would want something else now.

I tend to like more square shapes, so my favorites right now are:
1. cushions (love chunky facets) and asschers - i love them equally.
2. ovals (i have recently been loving them, particularly with half moon side stones - kaleigh's makes me swoon)
3. radiants (i enjoy the crushed ice look, particularly in colored stones, although i know many don't)

I feel VERY ambivalent about rounds - i love the sparkle factor, but i just feel so so about them.

Although i love square shapes, i tend to really dislike princess cuts, and i have no idea why....I like them ok with trilliant side stones though :confused:

I dislike marquise, pear and heart shaped diamonds. I like marquise, then pear, then heart (least fav). I just figured out the reason for this order- i like symmetry, so i don't like the chunky facets in one part of the stone and crushed ice look at the tip (of the pear and heart).

EDIT: i completely forgot about the emerald cut, so i guess i put them in the same category as rounds - take em or leave em.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1314396019|3000799 said:
What could explain this?

Thinking . . . I suspect Princess is a fad that is peaking now and PSers (who are forward-thinking) are experiencing what I call the rubber band effect.
PSers lead the way, yet the public, who generate more sales than PS members, is not cutting edge.

I think in 10 to 20 years Asschers will be all the rage, and Pricesses will go the way of the Marquise.
The higher they fly the harder they fall; I feel the same way about halo settings and 0.00000000002 mm settings
Style is a fascinating phenomenon.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1314396521|3000813 said:
What could explain this?

Thinking . . . I suspect Princess cut was a fad that is peaking now and PSers are experiencing what I call the rubber band effect.
PSers lead the way, yet the public, who generate more sales than PS members, is not cutting edge.

I think in 10 to 20 years Asschers will be all the rage.
I think you're right, Kenny.
I had four different students get engaged last year, and each of them was given a princess cut stone. I heard another student say to one of the recently engaged "Every girl dreams of getting a princess cut. You are so lucky!" Definitely a popular cut right now.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my, if Sante is reading: I love my rounds, but I already have rounds, so:

my favorites:
cushion
pear
radiant

least favorite:
heart, unless it's in the right setting, which leads me to:

Santa, you know I am picky, so if you were to be inclined to give a sparkly gift, we both know that gift should probably incude me having a say in the choice, don't ya think? ;-)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1314396664|3000817 said:
What could explain this?

Thinking . . . I suspect Princess cut was a fad that is peaking now and PSers are experiencing what I call the rubber band effect.

I had four different students get engaged last year, and each of them was given a princess cut stone. I heard another student say to one of the recently engaged "Every girl dreams of getting a princess cut. You are so lucky!" Definitely a popular cut right now.

agreed. most of my friends have princess cuts as well. I don't know about the asscher though - i'm afraid people won't let go of the sparkle factor to embrace the step cut in the mainstream (although asschers are my favorite and i know they have their own sparkle).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to be quick to add . . . ALL cuts are equal.
Popularity is just popularity.
You like what you like.
If you change to what is popular now, no problem.

Cutting edge trend setters are not superior to Marquise, Princess or Heart-lovers.

When a pack of lemurs stampedes off a cliff, what does it matte if you are in the front or the back of the herd?

Heart-lovers are not inferior.
Numbers only mean what OTHER people like! and who gives a hoot about them! ?

Also I'll add, I have bought two heart shaped diamonds, one becuase my SO loves it, the other because its rare hue.
FCDs are AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL about the color and a certain Orangy Pink with hideous cut (windowing even) and I1 clarity stole MY heart. :love:

NO regrets!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
violet3|1314396813|3000824 said:
What could explain this?

agreed. most of my friends have princess cuts as well. I don't know about the asscher though - i'm afraid people won't let go of the sparkle factor to embrace the step cut in the mainstream (although asschers are my favorite and i know they have their own sparkle).

HENCE the Octavia.
Oh Crap! There goes Kenny that Octa-shill again. :lol:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
mom2boys|1314386006|3000574 said:
Faves: #1 Round brilliants, #2 emerald cuts, #3 asscher cuts
Least faves: Marquise, pears

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lottie UK|1314385432|3000545 said:
ame|1314385262|3000538 said:
Favorites: Round-esp modified, modern cushions and asschers/emeralds

Least Favorite: Heart above all, I cannot stand them...then radiant, princess.

Forgot about Heart - definately on my least favourite list. I have a friend who has a Heart shaped Solitaire which she really dislikes however because her husband put so much effort and thought into choosing it she could never ever tell him.

Your friend is a wonderful person to be so respectful of her husbnad - I hope that i would be able to be so graceful, but i helped pick my ring because i knew i probably woudn't be. :nono:

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I've never cared for emeralds or marquises but decided I could love either in a east-west bezel setting.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1314384807|3000526 said:
There are a zillion cuts but I just picked this assortment:

From most to least favorite:

Asscher
Emerald
Round
Cushion
Oval
Radiant
Pear
Triangle
Trillant
Shield
Marquise
Heart
Princess

(I didn't list Octagon since IMHO it falls under asscher)

Favorite is round. I was going to say least fav is princess till I saw that chart Kenny posted and now will have to say shield cut! lol

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
favorite: emerald step cut
least favorite {actually I have 2}: princess and marquise

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
What could explain this?

Thinking . . . I suspect Princess is a fad that is peaking now and PSers (who are forward-thinking) are experiencing what I call the rubber band effect.

I think in 10 to 20 years Asschers will be all the rage, and Pricesses will go the way of the Marquise.
The higher they fly the harder they fall; I feel the same way about halo settings and 0.00000000002 mm settings Style is a fascinating phenomenon.

Oh man, you all must think I am the biggest follower ever being that I have a Princess/halo/very thin ring!! Ironically, I am the only one I know that has a halo and the 1st person I know that has a princess. I thought I was being original and I just LOVED the way it looked on my finger. I was actually shopping for an emerald until I tried rings on and fell in love.....

Well, when the trend becomes super tacky I can always upgrade to a different shape :bigsmile:

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite would be asscher. I wish Octavia's were more than a thought it storm's head when I was engaged.

Least favorite would be princess for me too. I just don't like the "crushed glass" look and the type of setting that many have to protect those sharp corners!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscher
Emerald
OEC
Oval
Cut Corner Square Brilliant that is not a Radiant (Jubilee or Lucre)
Cushion
Pear
Round Brilliant
Marquise
Princess
Radiant
Triangle
Trillant
Heart

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Favorite: Antique cuts (cushions, OECs, OMCs), RBs, French cuts, asschers, and ECs
Least favorite: princess, marquise, ovals, and hearts. (it just isn't my taste for my own jewelry)

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
As time goes by, I've changed my mine on which I like best. So far I've liked OEC, cushions, emeralds, pears and rose cuts. Least favorites are marquise and asschers.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Fav: Round (especially OEC), oval, cushion, emerald, asscher.
Least fav: Princess.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1314404055|3000971 said:
kenny|1314384807|3000526 said:
There are a zillion cuts but I just picked this assortment:

From most to least favorite:

Asscher
Emerald
Round
Cushion
Oval
Radiant
Pear
Triangle
Trillant
Shield
Marquise
Heart
Princess

(I didn't list Octagon since IMHO it falls under asscher)

Favorite is round. I was going to say least fav is princess till I saw that chart Kenny posted and now will have to say shield cut! lol

LOL! :sun:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Favorite: round or any cut with soft/rounded edges i.e. cushions, pears, etc.
Least favorite : princesses or emerald cuts or anything with sharp edges

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I think part of the fact that a lot of us aren't big on princess cuts is also that it's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it cut. Personally, I think they look atrocious on *me*; I'm sure that there's some out there that would knock my socks off if I saw them in person on someone else, but in general? So very, very many are poorly cut and blah. And epitomize everything about the negative connotation of "crushed ice". I also dislike the extra-facet round brilliants, at least in smaller sizes like under a carat.

Personally, I love anything with a nice, large facet like OECs, OMCs, and antique cushions. I also really like the large facets and elegance of an Asscher or emerald, but those don't look as good on my hand in particular.

Princess is probably my least favorite cut, that or heart.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Favorites: PRINCESS!!! Represent! Also, other branded squares like Princess of Hearts, Quadex, X-factor, etc, but I love a classic princess best for the little splinters of fire and the crisp, sharp corners.

Middle: Asscher, RB, OEC, Cushion (8 pavilion main), Emerald, Oval

Least favorites: Radiant, Pear, Marquise, Heart, Cushions that are either too chunky or crushed-ice (I like something in the middle)

This is assuming the stones are well-cut, of course! Otherwise, I'd take a well-cut radiant over a poorly cut princess, for example.

ETA: Princesses are not a cut I typically associated with a crushed-ice appearance. For me, that's more of an effect I see in cushions and radiants.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Favorites: antique/chunky cushions, pears, emeralds. :love:

Least favorites: princess, asscher

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard another student say to one of the recently engaged "Every girl dreams of getting a princess cut. You are so lucky!"

Noooo. I would be so unhappy if I received a princess cut for my e-ring.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Love older cuts. In particular, the oec and antique cushions. Also love well cut pears.

Dislike princess cuts for many of the reasons already mentioned. I wouldn't turn down a high colour, well cut princess but most of them are really quite meh.

It doesn't help that where I live (small town South Africa) most women aspire to a .5 princess cut solitaire set in white gold. :rolleyes: It seems to be what everyone around me wants or gets. So unfortunately for me I am subjected to a ton of really ugly princesses as people skimp on quality to get as close to the .5 mark as possible. :(

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1314427731|3001288 said:
I heard another student say to one of the recently engaged "Every girl dreams of getting a princess cut. You are so lucky!"

Noooo. I would be so unhappy if I received a princess cut for my e-ring.

Half of my friends have a princess cut- others a round with one lonely emerald :) I do think princess had been a very trending cut for the past 5 tears, ESP princess cuts in channel settings and princess 3 stones where all three stone are PC.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results