carat
color
clarity

Favorite tourmaline or lapis jewelry

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello everyone,

I am in Kabul as you know and working with jewelers here. I am trying to teach them about better design quality and I would like your feedback. Can you post pictures of your favorite pieces of jewlery featuring gemstones of Afghanistan? Many of the jewelers here sell to the expats and soldiers but use traditional designs. What we are trying to do is show them designs that they can implement and sell using stones that are readily available here. Stones like: cabochon ruby, cabochon emerald, lapis lazuli, tourmaline and tajik spinel. Any imput would help. Today we started showing them designs from Tiffany's, Hans Meevis and other designers. Overall we got a good impression and it was helpful but it would be even more so with stones available in Afghanistan.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I rather like traditional designs as they are incredibly unique when seen elsewhere. Perhaps, what you are looking for is an improvement in the finish of the pieces?

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono,

You hit it right on the head. We are looking to improve their finishing on the silverwork, and the polish on the gems. They use 8k diamond on most gems here, and 3k on lapis. They do not even know 50k or 100k exists to help polish. The other thing we are trying to do is show them more western designs that have sold that use lapis,tourmaline and emerald. This way they can improve their design work.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they able to get their hands on finer grit polish relatively easily?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here is my seafoam tourmaline cut by Jeff White.

IMG_3263.JPG

image1.jpg

IMG_3271.JPG

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I brought better polish with me from the states. Knowing that my stuff has been in customs for the last month I think it would be hard to get items here quickly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably going off topic here, but if it's not easy to obtain or expensive, there will be less incentive to use it. People are usually resistant to change so any perceived roadblock isn't going to help.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh it will be a huge roadblock, but the bonus is they know their quality is not good and they want to change. The other really basic thing we are trying to instill is the use of recording everything and markup. There is not much accounting in this area of the world so showing them that there might be more upfront costs but a higher profit margin helps. Plus the project is paying for 75% of costs so that helps.

Fiaind

Rough_Rock
Well, the bracelet may be a traditional design, I'm not sure. I just liked it when I picked it up a few years ago. I did have to modify the clasp, it had a simple hook clasp that I had changed to a safety catch. The others are two tourmaline stones, one a dark blue green and the other a pink in antique belais 18kw settings, the other is a lapis piece in Ostby Barton 10k setting.

Lapis.Tour.jew.jpg

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I think that Irene Neuwirth designs some of the prettiest Lapis jewelry. Here is an example of her earrings:

img-thing.jpg

They are simple, faceted (she also uses cabochons) and super accessible.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like this, but I think I would like something with the lapis as very enlongated, thin teardrops, almost but not quite a fringe

LapisLazuli.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jim,
I've attached some Simon G designs which I think would have mass appeal. I've also attached some lapis lazuli pieces that I think would sell well. The earrings are from David Webb at www.macklowegallery.com.. The cufflinks are from A La Vielle Russie.
Preg

Simon-G@4884_M_SG-NR270_M.jpg

Simon-G@761_M_18_M.jpg

macklowegallery_ER-14068.jpg

alaviellerussie164287.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's some cabochon emerald and ruby:

bltfinejewellery_artdeco.jpg

katalogvan-ham.jpg

seamanschepps_betteridge.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love James Meyer designs with cabochon stones. They're certainly popular on PS but I've never seen this design style in my local stores.

James Meyer split shank3.jpg

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think these are great examples. It is greatly appreciated.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jim:

What a great opportunity for you and for the Afghani gem cutters - are you doing this as part of the Green Gem Foundation?

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Minou,

I am here with a USAID project. I will be looking for Green Gem Foundation projects while I am here as well. Its been interesting so far and I am glad I came. Its a worth while project and hopefully I can help them provide more value and a higher price for their goods.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results