shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite musical?

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Any fans of musical theater on PS? What are your favorites?

I've always been a big fan, was in shows and a cappella groups throughout high school and college, and one of my first real jobs was working for a local theater (free tickets! :love:).

I have a lot of favorites (and I tend to cycle through various current-favorites), but some of my constants are The Light in the Piazza, Sweeney Todd, A Little Night Music, The Last 5 Years, Cabaret, and Camelot. If we include classic movie musicals, you can throw in anything with Gene Kelly :kiss2:

How about you? :wink2:

Q

Queenie60

"The Motown Story" - one of my favorites.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE musicals! I love plays too but a play has to be really good for me to enjoy while a musical can be just OK and if the music is good I am happy.
(One of my favorite plays of all time is a little known play called Pillowman-it was haunting and an amazing broadway experience).

What musicals I love: (there are more but this is all I can think of atm)

Wicked
Fiddler on the Roof
Jersey Boys
Les Miserables
Phantom
Chicago
Avenue Q

Hayley87, I also loved the Light in the Piazza and Sweeney Todd.

What I didn't love
Book of Mormon
I might be the only one in the universe (besides a few others dh included) who didn't care for this musical.

I want to see Bette Midler in Hello Dolly but I waited too long and now the only decent tickets left are over $500 so I am skipping it. I hear Donna Murphy is pretty good in the role too but I really would have enjoyed seeing Bette Midler in this role oh well you snooze you lose LOL.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I liked the Pillowman! A couple of friends of mine are in an amateur drama group and they put on a local production of the Pillowman several years ago. I remember enjoying it a lot.

As for musicals, I don't really go to many. I like The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (it's one of the less known of Andrew Lloyd Webber's works; I saw it during its brief run in the West End) , and also the original French musicals of Notre-Dame de Paris (1998 version in French by Luc Plamandon et Richard Cocciante, it is one of my favorite musicals of all time, I think there is also an English version but the original French is superior) and Le Petit Prince (2002 version by Richard Cocciante, I don't think it was adapted to English).

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My top 10 are:
West Side Story
Fiddler on the Roof
Wicked
South Pacific
The Lion King
On the Town
Phantom of the Opera
High society
Anything Goes
Ain't Misbehavin'

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like musical revues like Forever Plaid and The World Goes Round. And I just saw the movie version of Chicago again recently. I'd forgotten just how good that music is. There are many more of course. And I'm an opera fan too.

Last edited:
P

PierreBear

I haven't seen too many but seem to enjoy the comedic ones. DH and I really enjoyed Book of Moron and Avenue Q.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella.
" " Oklahoma
Funny Girl

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down, Man of LaMancha. I think I've seen four different stagings... so far. :D

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My all time favourite is Carousel. I grew up listening to the LP over and over. Also loved Jesus Christ Super Star, Funny Girl, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, les Miserables, Carmen....and the list goes on.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was raised in the theatre. Literally :roll

My ultimate favourite is Blood Brothers, which you might not have seen in the US as it's a musical based in Liverpool, but it was & still is a huge success in the U.K.

After that I would say The Rocky Horror Show, Phantom Of The Opera, Les Miserables, Joseph, The Buddy Holly Story, West Side Story & of course, Mama Mia.

I'm afraid I was raised more with rock & pop artists than musicals, but I have such happy memories of the plays.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carousel is my all time favorite. Oh! and Book of Mormon.. saw it on Broadway, having worked with tons of LDS people I found it unbelievably funny and the music was wonderful. Another fav: Brigadoon, great show.

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Everyone is naming such great shows! It's so hard to choose favorites.

Hands down, Man of LaMancha. I think I've seen four different stagings... so far. :D

Oh, how could I forget Man of La Mancha?? I very nearly got a windmill tattoo after my father passed away because this was one of his favorites, and he used to sing "The Impossible Dream" under his breath all the time :love:

One of my favorite Disney movies is The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and I saw an incredible performance of it last year that utilized two actors onstage simultaneously for Quasimodo: a Deaf actor to play him and use ASL for his lines, and a hearing actor who sang the songs. It was more affecting than it may seem, and I believe it toured a few cities in CA after Disney itself gave them the license to rewrite the show for a two-actor Quasimodo.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a newbie to stage musicals so my fave is Hamilton (have only been once) followed up by Wicked (saw it six times in four yrs).

As far as movie musicals, I like:
Gigi
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
Funny Girl
Meet Me in St Louis
The Music Man
Hello Dolly
Into The Woods (the American Playhouse production)
Sunday In the Park With George (another American Playhouse production)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Music Man ties with West Side Story for all time favorites.

Pippin on Broadway was spectacular. As was The Producers, School of Rock, Damn Yankees (I saw Bebe Neuwirth and Victor Garber), and Ragtime.

Broadway shows I didn't love: Swing, Seussical, Titanic, Annie Get Your Gun. Tom Wopat was funny, Bernadette Peters just didn't have a voice left :(

The Producers was I think the hardest I ever laughed during a Broadway show.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both me and DH love Wicked. We've seen it several times. :mrgreen2: I'm a big Disney fan so, of course, I watched and loved Beauty and the Beast.

I would love to see The Lion King when it comes back around. Also, my niece is very interested in watching Hamilton so I will be trying to see that in the 2018-2019 season (when it comes to my area).

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both me and DH love Wicked. We've seen it several times. :mrgreen2: I'm a big Disney fan so, of course, I watched and loved Beauty and the Beast.

I would love to see The Lion King when it comes back around. Also, my niece is very interested in watching Hamilton so I will be trying to see that in the 2018-2019 season (when it comes to my area).

Hamilton tickets are silly expensive but I cannot figure out why. It is a pretty barebones production and the biggest entertainer (King George) is only onstage for like 10 minutes.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hamilton tickets are silly expensive but I cannot figure out why. It is a pretty barebones production and the biggest entertainer (King George) is only onstage for like 10 minutes.

I know it! I'm going to try to get tickets because it would mean so much to my niece. I don't care to see it either way. Is it wrong of me to hope she loses interest in it by the time it gets here? :lol:

I'd love to see kinky boots. Has anyone seen that?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brigadoon, fiddler on the roof, le mis... the only one I hated was into the woods.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're thinking of seeing Bette in Hello Dolly, January 19 will be her last day in it. Bernadette Peters and Victor Garber will take over on January 20.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and Groundhog Day! Super funny. Something Rotten was insanely amazing, Cinderella was kinda boring but the Prince was cheeky and hot :twisted2:

I was lucky enough to catch Rebecca Luker in The Music Man on Broadway, but the movie is just so perfect.

Kinky Boots is a blast.

I saw Gypsy and Sweet Charity back a long time ago as well but didn't really connect with them as much. I saw Marie Osmond as Anna in The King and I on Broadway, she was stiff and dreadful.

Forgot to add Hair, Godspell, and Jesus Christ Superstar to my favorites.

I'm lucky to have seen many Broadway shows but also live in a city where you can see things like Hamilton in previews before people ruin it with a rave review.

DD is dying to see Aladdin on B'way but it doesn't look like ticket prices are dropping anytime soon...

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, how could I forget. I loved Spamalot!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Singing in the Rain
2. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
3. GiGi
4. My Fair Lady
5. Sound of Music
6. West Side Story
7. The King and I
8. Disney's Aladdin
9. Disney's The Little Mermaid
10. Grease

Theater:
1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Jersey boys
3. Into the Woods

I much prefer movies. I find live performances too loud.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favourites:
Film: Singing in the Rain, closely followed by West Side Story, Sound of Music, Kiss Me Kate; plus many more.
Stage: 42nd Street (2017) was the best show I have seen, ever, however I also Kinky Boots, West Side Story, Chicago, Top Hat and many more.
I love musicals.
DK :))

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, @LLJsmom! That's one of the ones I'll always watch if it's on tv. That barn-raising dance sequence :-o

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, @LLJsmom! That's one of the ones I'll always watch if it's on tv. That barn-raising dance sequence :-o

OMG. Do you listen to those lyrics?? They are hilarious and soooo UN-PC. I just love them. My kids, two teenagers, love that movie too! Milly sure told Adam what was what!

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OMG. Do you listen to those lyrics?? They are hilarious and soooo UN-PC. I just love them. My kids, two teenagers, love that movie too! Milly sure told Adam what was what!

It's definitely a time capsule sort of movie as far as PC goes :lol: But you can't beat the dancing, and the tunes are so. dang. catchy! :whistle:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone here watched "The Flash" on Netflix? I forget which season - I think it's season 4?, there's a very lighthearted episode where The Flash and Supergirl get zapped into a musical by an alien. The whole cast sings. WELL. For REAL. It's great fun. All the young people are great, and there's Victor Garber even!! What's not to like?? Excellent song sung by The Flash at the end. If you have Netflix, and even if you don't like that sort of series, you should dig into the episode list and find it. It's cute enough that you don't need to know plot lines to appreciate it. :)

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Wicked
Les Miserables
Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Newsies
A Chorus Line
West Side Story

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's definitely a time capsule sort of movie as far as PC goes :lol: But you can't beat the dancing, and the tunes are so. dang. catchy! :whistle:
Such great dancing. And just the choreography, so charming! The girls in their jammies in the room. So sweet. Yes, of course, the barn raising...ahem...not... :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results